Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Great success!!! I've hated the mute button. Holding the volume down for a couple seconds was workign fine for me. I welcome the option to change it back.

I thought an email from Steve said that this would not happen. Am I remembering incorrectly?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Anyone else notice the name of the wifi??:D

I was having problems with setting up my network which kept on making me change the SSID to see which devices weren't working. It was hard thinking of names so I just thought of people and Eric Schmidt was the first person to come to mind.

jeffou

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
I updated and do not see any Multitouch Gesture options under the mute switch option - reset settings and did a restore - nothing is working - how did you get this enabled - did you install through xCode perhaps?

I have the same problem as you !

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Excellent news.

Steve, if you are reading this. At the same time, can you please pop in a setting for "Select the default web browser" also.

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
Ok, I love Apple products, but praising Apple for letting you use the device how you want is sort of ridiculous.

"Aww man, they took the orientation lock off the iPad. Oh well, if Master Jobs says we don't need it, we probably don't."

1 month later:

*Apple gives you the option

"Oh thank you Master Jobs! How generous of you to do that for us! Maybe I will send you more money. Thank you, thank you, thank you!"
:rolleyes:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The only advantage to using it as a mute button was that you could mute the audio (i.e.: push alerts and notifications) without first hitting the home button and entering your unlock passcode.

If you try to use the volume rocker while the screen is dark or before you have unlocked the screen with your passcode, the volume rocker had NO effect.

So it made some sense to have this as a mute switch, but to be honest, when I am playing a game and don't want screen rotation, it is far easier to just slide that switch than to pause the game, double-tap, slide-to-the-right, and tap the icon.

Count me in the camp that will choose "rotation lock" over "mute switch"

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Great news. The big gripe I had about their switching it to mute was that they didn't change the speed of the volume decrease too.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Excellent news.

Steve, if you are reading this. At the same time, can you please pop in a setting for "Select the default web browser" also.

or even just add the ability to tap-and-hold a URL and choose "open in..." and pick a browser.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Still don't see why people care THIS much.

Be honest, you ship an item to 8 million people or more which has 1 switch on it to do a function. Then without asking these 8 million people who are using the switch happily for the past 6 months, you force a change onto them many are not expecting and wonder why the switch does not work anymore for them.

It does not take a genius, even an Apple one, to realise this is going to upset a few million people.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
Excellent News!

My 'pad has been locked in Angry Birds view since the update; I can't stand using the software lock...

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Ok, I love Apple products, but praising Apple for letting you use the device how you want is sort of ridiculous.

"Aww man, they took the orientation lock off the iPad. Oh well, if Master Jobs says we don't need it, we probably don't."

1 month later:

"Oh thank you Master Jobs! How generous of you to do that for us! Maybe I will send you more money. Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I laughed. Thank you.

I also didn't see what the fuss was about, it seemed trivial.

gsrbob

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Now if they can just give an option on the iPhone for the volume button camera shutter.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC

1 month later:

When did ANYONE say it was okay that Apple removed that feature? There's been nothing but constant bitching about that switch since they changed it.

devilbond

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Instead of praising Apple for this I have promoted my previously demoted opinion of their opinion.

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
When did ANYONE say it was okay that Apple removed that feature? There's been nothing but constant bitching about that switch since they changed it.

That wasn't really the point. In stead of saying "It's about time Apple listened to their customers" most people are thanking them.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

If you really want a laugh, check out the thread about Apple removing the 10% restocking fee from the Apple Store. People are lavishing them with praise like "Apple always goes the extra mile for its customers!"

Yeah, by finally getting rid of an annoying fee that many other places don't charge? Go, Apple! :rolleyes:

TrickyTree1984

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Uk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh please let this come to the iPhone too. I never turn off mute but I'm always having to double tap - swipe - tap to get rotation lock. Lame!

Also I would love to be able to permanently lock certain apps such as SMS.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England

1 month later:

Well the fact is a lot of people found the change to be very inconvenient. Those people (lots of them by the looks of it) complained to apple feedback. They are now VERY HAPPY as it looks like on this occasion Apple have listened to their customers and implemented their request.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.