Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first beta of iOS 8.1 seeded earlier today has not yet revealed a significant number of changes visible to regular users, but developer Hamza Sood has managed to uncover several interesting hidden settings and strings from the new version.

First, Sood shares a screenshot of a hidden Settings pane for Apple Pay inside. The pane will allow users to manage their entered credit and debit cards linked to Apple Pay, as well as define their default card, billing and shipping address, email, and phone.

apple_pay_settings_ios_8_1.jpg

The Settings screen for Apple Pay also links to a privacy disclosure outlining how the user's card and device information and location may be sent back to Apple and perhaps passed on to the card issuer to determine eligibility and detect possible fraud.

Apple Pay will allow users to easily authenticate payments to their preferred credit and debit cards, using NFC for point-of-sale transactions with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and Apple Watch while also allowing for Touch ID-based authentication of purchase transactions in apps supporting Apple Pay. Apple has announced that Apple Pay will be launching in October, and iOS 8.1 is likely to be the update carrying that support, but the company has not yet flipped the switch to broadly enable it in this first developer seed.

While Apple has so far only announced that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and Apple Watch will be compatible with Apple Pay, Sood has also turned up evidence suggesting next-generation iPad models will include Touch ID support and Apple Pay. The evidence comes in the form of a code string addressing support for the services:
Pay with iPad using Touch ID. With Apple Pay, you no longer need to type card numbers and shipping information.
It is unclear whether the upcoming iPads will include NFC technology for point-of-sale transactions or if Apple Pay support on the iPad will be limited to app-based transactions, but Apple's upcoming iPad have been widely rumored to see the addition of Touch ID.

Article Link: iOS 8.1 Carries Hidden Settings for Apple Pay, References Touch ID Support for iPad

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The first beta of iOS 8.1 seeded earlier today has not yet revealed a significant number of changes visible to regular users, but developer Hamza Sood has managed to uncover several interesting hidden settings and strings from the new version.

First, Sood shares a screenshot of a hidden Settings pane for Apple Pay inside. The pane will allow users to manage their entered credit and debit cards linked to Apple Pay, as well as define their default card, billing and shipping address, email, and phone.

The Settings screen for Apple Pay also links to a privacy disclosure outlining how the user's card and device information and location may be sent back to Apple and perhaps passed on to the card issuer to determine eligibility and detect possible fraud.

Apple Pay will allow users to easily authenticate payments to their preferred credit and debit cards, using NFC for point-of-sale transactions with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and Apple Watch while also allowing for Touch ID-based authentication of purchase transactions in apps supporting Apple Pay. Apple has announced that Apple Pay will be launching in October, and iOS 8.1 is likely to be the update carrying that support, but the company has not yet flipped the switch to broadly enable it in this first developer seed.

While Apple has so far only announced that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and Apple Watch will be compatible with Apple Pay, Sood has also turned up evidence suggesting next-generation iPad models will include Touch ID support and Apple Pay. The evidence comes in the form of a code string addressing support for the services:It is unclear whether the upcoming iPads will include NFC technology for point-of-sale transactions or if Apple Pay support on the iPad will be limited to app-based transactions, but Apple's upcoming iPad have been widely rumored to see the addition of Touch ID.

Article Link: iOS 8.1 Carries Hidden Settings for Apple Pay, References Touch ID Support for iPad

Who is going to carry around, let alone take out their iPad, for POS payments?

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Who's going to hold an iPad up to a register to pay for things?! Might as well add Pay to a flat-screen TV.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Who is going to carry around, let alone take out their iPad, for POS payments?

Well, I imagine if you're in a coffee shop or something and you're using your iPad, you can just pay without having to get your iPhone out of the pocket.

Unless you also have the Apple Watch, which does seem to make this a bit useless.

But I suppose this is probably just to have less fragmentation so that all future releases of iOS (and iOS Devices + Watch) can be expected to have Apple Pay support with Touch ID.

FlatBot

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
Paying with iPad . . .

My first thought is: Who's going to lug their iPad into a store with them to use as a payment method? Starbucks - sure. If you were bringing your iPad in to use anyway.

Second thought: The software is already being written to run on iPhones. NFC chips can't be that expensive, so why not throw it in the iPad, too. Even if it's not super practical, it's not like it's going to cost Apple a ton to include it.

AppleSOS

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Ohio
Who's going to hold an iPad up to a register to pay for things?! Might as well add Pay to a flat-screen TV.

Adding :apple:Pay to the iPad would require adding an NFC radio, which is pretty cheap, so why not do it? The TouchID will already be added for other reasons, so I can't see a reason NOT to add :apple:Pay support to the iPad when some users may find use for it. If one costumer uses it to make his or her life easier, then it will have been a worthy upgrade, seeing as it won't affect those who don't want to use it at all.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Visualize.

You're sitting at a sidewalk cafe and your iPad is sitting on the table.

You're in a restaurant and your iPad is sitting on the table.

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

BigCLC

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Who's going to hold an iPad up to a register to pay for things?! Might as well add Pay to a flat-screen TV.

Not many, but you are forgetting that apps on the iPad will use touch ID for online purchases like target which was demoed at the announcement.

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014

It's for accepting payments, silly. Like if you're running a lemonade stand in your front yard.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
I own my own business and my iPad mini is in my hand everywhere I go. It's all I need. But the 6+ combines my phone and iPad, very advantageous for me. I can leave the iPad mini home. I bought into this idea.

But if there was an iPad mini with cell, touch id, and NFC payments, maybe I wouldn't want the 6+. But that's not going to happen right?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
They should definitely add pay to the ipads. Not everyone with new ipads are going to get the iphone 6, 6+ or watch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Um, if you power off the iPad and power it back on you get a message about needing to key in your pin after a restart. I assumed that was a big clue that touch ID is coming to iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.