Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
hidden setting ??

If its hidden, why was it mention "Settings also links...." this implies its not even hidden at all. Unless i missed something here. Plus, the screenshot clearly indicates your in the Passbook and go back to the Settings menu.

Who's going to hold an iPad up to a register to pay for things?! Might as well add Pay to a flat-screen TV.

May as well.. That will be convenient :p I have my phone right here i can hold with one hand. *waves*

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Re: NFC in an iPad - everyone is looking at this the wrong way.

Some day :apple:Pay will be expanded to be able to receive payments. Having the technology available in iPads will be critical to merchants (think swap meet, farmer's market, or anywhere that you use Square today).

No more swiping cards through a 3.5mm reader, handing a phone or tablet back and forth, signing with your finger, or choosing where to receive the receipt. Simply put your device in proximity to theirs and complete the transaction just as you do in a retail setting.

Square should be terrified.

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Re: NFC in an iPad - everyone is looking at this the wrong way.

Some day :apple:Pay will be expanded to be able to receive payments. Having the technology available in iPads will be critical to merchants (think swap meet, farmer's market, or anywhere that you use Square today).

No more swiping cards through a 3.5mm reader, handing a phone or tablet back and forth, signing with your finger, or choosing where to receive the receipt. Simply put your device in proximity to theirs and complete the transaction just as you do in a retail setting.

Square should be terrified.

When this happens, that will be the end of plastic as we know it.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Who is going to carry around, let alone take out their iPad, for POS payments?

Probably for online purchases. But for some people they are using iPad as camera... Then why not. 12"iPad will be great. Lol

Btw.. Apple need to implement this also on Macs. So we can all forget PayPal.

isteal

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2012
USA
As someone who wishes they could still get rid of the dictation key (without disabling Siri)...I actually disagree.

Then again, I'm on the 4S... even on a 5 it may be a bit less...cramped.

The first time i sent a text in iOS 8.1 beta and hit the dictation key, it asked if i wanted to enable it. I Did, but maybe you'll be able to get rid of it with iOS 8.1.

Just checked. You can disable dictation in keyboard settings and still use Siri. The dictation button just goes away on the keyboard.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
As someone who wishes they could still get rid of the dictation key (without disabling Siri)...I actually disagree.

Then again, I'm on the 4S... even on a 5 it may be a bit less...cramped.

iOS 8.1 Beta allows you to disable dictation separately from Siri:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Dictation

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Why wouldnt Apple include it on an iPad to speed up adoption? Many people have iPads and not iPhones. I assume its only useful for those with cellular.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Carrying my wallet is too inconvenient - let me whip out my full sized iPad ...

Excuse me while I whip this out.

----------

Why wouldnt Apple include it on an iPad to speed up adoption? Many people have iPads and not iPhones. I assume its only useful for those with cellular.

It is an upgrade option for people who just obtained a 5S but still own a 1-3rd gen iPad and have a desire to upgrade. Coupled with the watch, it will cover a lot of users.

Example; I have a 3rd gen iPad and my wife only lets me upgrade from S to S. I have to wait another year for an iPhone 6 (whichever is new in 12 months from now). But I am overdue for an iPad upgrade. This would let me participate in Apple Pay so when the watches do come out, and I am allowed to upgrade, I am already well-established in that ecosystem and will have very little resistance in needing an excuse to upgrade.

Although, if Apple Pay falls flat on its face like Maps did... The chip might still be good for non-Pay readers, assuming it's just a software mod restricting it to Apple's partners for now.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Do you guys have any idea how many iPad 2s are used for POS purposes?

Adding NFC to the next gen iPad means that they can ACCEPT NFC payments made by iPhones. it will be the cheapest way to set up a cash register: just buy an iPad and you can accept NFC payments, as well as Square swipes.

Tpoccu

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
You guys do remember that Apple pay works in apps too right? Not just at contactless payment terminals. I'm not saying the iPad won't support the NFC part too, but the API side has huge value on the iPad which is already huge in online retail.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
I would guess Apple Pay is on Cellular iPads to allow Apple Watch to connect instead of the iPhone.. Not so you use your iPad for iPad.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Who's going to hold an iPad up to a register to pay for things?! Might as well add Pay to a flat-screen TV.

You obviously missed the part in the presentation where Apple showed how Apple Pay could be used for checking out in webstores? You can do that just from the couch.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
iPad could be used to receive payments.
An iPad can be configured to have only one active app, so it could be used for this purpose in shops, ever for automatic cashiers in the future.
Some countries like mine do require a printed receipt though, so you still have to put a printer next to the iPad.
I just hope they'll change the law to allow an electronic receipt, so it'll be possible to have a 100% virtual transaction.

IslandLife

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
ApplePay for iPad?

For those wondering who's going to "pull out an iPad to hold up to a register for payment" obviously haven't been paying attention. ApplePay will also be available for things you buy online on your iPad, iPhone, iWatch, etc.. Either through Safari or via approved Apps. No more shuffling through pants pockets late at night to make those impulse buys!

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I recall Tim talking about Apple Pay for online purchases too. This would require Touch-ID so maybe this is why it references the iPad. I doubt it will have NFC unless Apple intend to expand its use beyond making payments, perhaps making the iPad able to TAKE payments?.

Last edited:

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Apple Pay for online purchases isn't so great if the major online retailers aren't on board. For example, Amazon won't be I'm sure, nor will eBay and anything attached to PayPal.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Apple Pay for online purchases isn't so great if the major online retailers aren't on board. For example, Amazon won't be I'm sure, nor will eBay and anything attached to PayPal.

That all depends on how much leverage Visa and Mastercard have over these vendors. If they make is a requirement of their merchant account then they have no choice but to accept it.

I don't see there being as much of a need for Apple pay online though as its primary benefit is in-store security for card purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.