Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
iOS 8.1 Carries Hidden Settings for Apple Pay, References Touch ID Support fo...

Guess I misunderstood, removing post.

Last edited:

Apple4everr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2013
I would laugh if I saw someone paying something with their iPads I would laugh my head off, funnier then seeing people taking photos or making calls from it

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
I would laugh if I saw someone paying something with their iPads I would laugh my head off, funnier then seeing people taking photos or making calls from it
Can't wait to hear reports of people accidently getting hit in the face as the iPad rips through the air to the NFC terminal.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
iOS 8.1 Carries Hidden Settings for Apple Pay, References Touch ID Support fo...

Am I the only one concerned about the reversal in sending data to Apple from Apple Pay? In the Keynote it was explicitly mentioned no data being sent to them. Now in the terms for use they are having data sent to them like the CC info?

Youll have to point said reversal out to us specifically. As that blurb you linked is exactly how I and others understood the process.

Apple reads card and details, authenticates those details with bank, then stores the unique token. Is all it sounds like. Sending your card details during initial setup is expected... Has always been expected.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Youll have to point said reversal out to us specifically. As that blurb you linked is exactly how I and others understood the process.

Apple reads card and details, authenticates those details with bank, then stores the unique token. Is all it sounds like. Sending your card details during initial setup is expected... Has always been expected.

You're right. Looks like I misunderstood.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Just as a note - ApplePay also is the online, app-based shopping service.

It is very possible that ApplePay on the iPad will be limited to eCommerce and not point of sale transactions.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I found it very interesting that Apple took the route that they took with Apple Pay. I was totally expecting them to take advantage of the massive user base of itunes. Instead they went with pure payment system starting from scratch. It's pretty gutsy move in my opinion.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
I don't see why you chaps are so critical about Apple Pay in iPads. It is quite common for me to have my iPad in my hand when I am standing in a queue, so I might as well use it to pay for stuff instead of reaching out for my wallet, or for an iPhone for that matter.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
1) Have used iPad to pay at starbucks.

2) NFC chips aren't limited to PAYMENT. If the chip will be in the iPad for other uses and iOS has the functionality for payment... Then what is the question?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
The first time i sent a text in iOS 8.1 beta and hit the dictation key, it asked if i wanted to enable it. I Did, but maybe you'll be able to get rid of it with iOS 8.1.

Just checked. You can disable dictation in keyboard settings and still use Siri. The dictation button just goes away on the keyboard.

iOS 8.1 Beta allows you to disable dictation separately from Siri:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Dictation

Thank you and thank you. I did not expect them to actulally put that option back. :D

This is actually one of the 2 reasons I had left to stay jailbroken (even before iOS 8). The other being removal of "cellular data is turned off" messages. :rolleyes:

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
You certainly don't just get blown-up iOS on the bigger screen. The rotation features on the iPad and iPhone 6+ take advantage of the extra pixels to give you two-panel views in Mail and other apps, including custom Apps. Those two panels are cramped on the 6+ (compared to the iPad), but still useful. I'm not so sure they'd even be useful on a 4.7" iPhone 6. Regular iPhone apps need to be optimized for the smaller screen. Just shrinking down the interface of the iPad to a 4.7" screen is not useful.

Pretty much iOS on iPad and iPhone 6 is blown up one on bigger screen. Seriously, multi-Windows should be there long time ago, there also could be some widgets on bigger screens, there are many way to use extra pixels.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
So... Xcode 6.1 GM carries iOS 8.1 Beta 1 in the simulator... but... why !?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I don't see why you chaps are so critical about Apple Pay in iPads. It is quite common for me to have my iPad in my hand when I am standing in a queue, so I might as well use it to pay for stuff instead of reaching out for my wallet, or for an iPhone for that matter.

This.
And perhaps you may buy a brand new iPad with touch ID and stick with an iPhone 4S or 5, so iPad would be your only way to use Apple Pay

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
Just realized one of my new apps is utilizing handoff feature.. Pocket.. Amazing start viewing an article in pocket on my iPad mini and then pick it up on my iPhone when I need to switch. Can't wait until Facebook and big apps utilize this.

cmptrman

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Question for those who installed iOS 8.1 beta 1. Is there any ApplePay functionality that works and allows you to purchase via NFC, or does this update merely provide the settings panel displayed in the initial post?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Who is going to carry around, let alone take out their iPad, for POS payments?

Students. Medical personnel getting a snack. Pilots, maybe, getting coffee between flights.

--

That said, it could also be useful for Apple to open up NFC ability on the iPad so it could also READ NFC credit cards and smartphone payments.

In other words, have a POS NFC reader app that then talks via LTE to a merchant acquirer.

Think restaurant payments at your table from a waiter with an iPad. Or flea market sales. Or any other place that payment methods like Square are used now.

That way, it's not dependent on any particular app having to be on an iPhone or Android device. And it could read EMV contactless cards.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Question for those who installed iOS 8.1 beta 1. Is there any ApplePay functionality that works and allows you to purchase via NFC, or does this update merely provide the settings panel displayed in the initial post?

No to both - that's a hidden settings panel. Not available without hacking.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The Ipad camera is still mile behind that the phone, not surprising since the phone costs much more. The Ipad being bigger it is even harder to take a stable picture while looking at the screen So, still plenty stupid, don't see people doing it in 2014.

Mostly used when your alreading using your Ipad (most use is in the home, at work) and someone in the vicinity is doing something in the moment and you don't have time to switch to the phone camera. Since most people also carry phones, if they have just a bit more time (1-2 seconds), they'll get their better camera out.
The only time I used the iPad's camera to take a picture is... guess what... to take a picture of my iPhone!

AppleSOS

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Ohio
It's weird enough to see people taking pictures with iPad, now it will be something to see people pay with iPad. :eek:

That's one of my favourite things to see when I go on vacation. All of the tourists walking around taking pictures on their full-sized iPads. It's hilarious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.