Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
After all, Apple is still discriminate software feature depends on hardware. iPhone 6 does not get the rotation like iPhone 6 Plus, nor it get the iPad like Apps. iPhone 6 does not have hardware image stabilization.

I wish the iPad had access to that rotation feature (I assume you are talking about the keyboard). It would make my paper workflow a lot smoother.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Just an example. And some iPad owners aren't iPhone owners.

I could come up with more but I'm watching The Big Bang Theory.

:p

I guess you're right. Some people will probably carry around their iPad so they can use :apple:Pay instead of taking their wallet out of their pocket. At least some of the people here will. :D

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Just to clarify, thats sarcasm rt? Lol

As far as i know, apple pay can only be used for debit, not credits. As in you can only charge your card for purchases, not use it for POS transactions.

For now, yes (only debit). Within the next year you can accept payments. NFC hardware works both ways. Apple will take a cut, of course.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Can't wait to see people smash their iPad on the NFC/Wave little guy at the cashier LOL :eek:

It's the only thing more painful to watch than seeing someone jabbing at the register's touchscreen with their finger as if they are trying to pop a balloon.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
no ... i was pointing out that even though it may not be practical, it doesn't cost much more to include a feature that some people may benefit from.

iPhone does not need more RAM at this time. iPad does.
I have no idea if Apple will be putting 2 GB RAM in the iPad. But the point I was hinting at is that it does cost a LOT to include EVERY feature that some people may benefit from. When you're talking about a single feature, it seems like a no-brainer to include it, but Apple probably has a laundry list of features they COULD add to some of their products.

They could put an accelerometer and a barometer on the iMac, so that if you carry it from room to room or up a flight of stairs, it could calculate the iMac could add the extra exercise to your Health dashboard on your iPhone.

Yes, that's a silly example, but to some few people it would be useful. And the NFC would be useful to some people (without current iPhones), silly to others. Silly or not, maybe it will be there in preparation for a later version of iOS that opens up NFC services for more than just Apple Pay. Or maybe there will be no NFC this year, and Apple will add it in a 2015 version to work with the more open iOS.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
After all, Apple is still discriminate software feature depends on hardware. iPhone 6 does not get the rotation like iPhone 6 Plus, nor it get the iPad like Apps. iPhone 6 does not have hardware image stabilization.
Of course there will still be some differences that are necessary due to hardware differences (or screen size differences), but it's good to eliminate as many needless differences as possible.

Another such example, in iOS 6, you couldn't get to the the camera directly from lock screen on iPad the way you could on iPhone. I'm glad iOS 7 fixed that.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Using an iPad to make NFC payments seems rather pointless. Nonetheless, Touch ID will be welcome, especially if they eventually implement multi-user switching.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
For now, yes (only debit). Within the next year you can accept payments. NFC hardware works both ways. Apple will take a cut, of course.
This makes sense. iPad-based point-of-sale devices are a hugely effective way for small businesses to add sophistication without a lot of cost. I guess Apple would have their eye on some of the money that Square is skimming, and the folks at Square are probably nervously trying to add value (or perceived value) to their product offerings.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Of course there will still be some differences that are necessary due to hardware differences (or screen size differences), but it's good to eliminate as many needless differences as possible.

Another such example, in iOS 6, you couldn't get to the the camera directly from lock screen on iPad the way you could on iPhone. I'm glad iOS 7 fixed that.

There is no reason why 4.7 inch iPhone cannot get the rotation... my 4.5 inch Moto G and 4.7 Nexus 4 can easily do that... I still do not understand why... 4.7 is not small screen...

Really, Apple need to do some optimization for bigger screen... All you get now is blown up iOS to fit into bigger screen. It is time to take that screen to make something useful (multi-window multitasking)...

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
yes... the rotation keyboard is just awesome... Apple could easy done for smaller devices as well just add one row of keyboard...

As someone who wishes they could still get rid of the dictation key (without disabling Siri)...I actually disagree.

Then again, I'm on the 4S... even on a 5 it may be a bit less...cramped.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
There is no reason why 4.7 inch iPhone cannot get the rotation... my 4.5 inch Moto G and 4.7 Nexus 4 can easily do that... I still do not understand why... 4.7 is not small screen...

Really, Apple need to do some optimization for bigger screen... All you get now is blown up iOS to fit into bigger screen. It is time to take that screen to make something useful (multi-window multitasking)...
You certainly don't just get blown-up iOS on the bigger screen. The rotation features on the iPad and iPhone 6+ take advantage of the extra pixels to give you two-panel views in Mail and other apps, including custom Apps. Those two panels are cramped on the 6+ (compared to the iPad), but still useful. I'm not so sure they'd even be useful on a 4.7" iPhone 6. Regular iPhone apps need to be optimized for the smaller screen. Just shrinking down the interface of the iPad to a 4.7" screen is not useful.

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
The Ipad camera is still mile behind that the phone, not surprising since the phone costs much more. The Ipad being bigger it is even harder to take a stable picture while looking at the screen So, still plenty stupid, don't see people doing it in 2014.

Mostly used when your alreading using your Ipad (most use is in the home, at work) and someone in the vicinity is doing something in the moment and you don't have time to switch to the phone camera. Since most people also carry phones, if they have just a bit more time (1-2 seconds), they'll get their better camera out.

I didn't say that I agree with it or that I dont, I was stating a fact. I don't own an iPad and I feel like it's far from being an ideal camera, but at the end of the day, a lot of people use it for photography. That's why I believe some people will use it for pos payments, among other uses that will be added.

kakabu

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
Online purchase & POS

iPad with Apple Pay is the answer for online purchase and POS tool.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If the ring is standalone I would get one. Not certain if a chain of devices are required to support the ring.

I think that all future devices will be interdependent, not standalone. In a few years an iPhone and all the accessories- watch, ring, sunglasses etc, will set you back $5K. :D:D

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
switch b/w wifi & data is pain in ass.. (must switch "airplane mode" or restart whole phone :mad: )

How do you remove U2 songs from iphone. ????

jim2011

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Apple Pay is more than POS transactions at cash registers. It could simply be using your fingerprint to purchase items in apps like Apple already announced. That is still Apple Pay.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I think that all future devices will be interdependent, not standalone. In a few years an iPhone and all the accessories- watch, ring, sunglasses etc, will set you back $5K. :D:D

Thanks for the info. Diamonds are a girl's best friend. I'll stick to what I know :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.