Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Who is going to carry around, let alone take out their iPad, for POS payments?

I remember when people used to say "who's gonna take pictures with an iPad? Putting a camera on it is pointless." Yet here we are, at a place where it's increasingly acceptable for someone to whoop out a full size iPad and snap a picture. People carry their iPads and iPad minis with them everywhere they go nowadays so having this functionality isn't as far fetched as it might sound. Besides, apple pay works in apps too and don't be surprised to see it starting to gain more and more functionality. Off the top of my head I can think of it being embedded in actual websites and used to transfer money from one person to another a la PayPal.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Who is going to carry around, let alone take out their iPad, for POS payments?

:apple:Pay will eventually be able to be used for online payment within apps as well. I'd imagine online retailers will jump on this bandwagon pretty damn fast.

Plus, if they do add NFC to an iPad, it's still possible to use that in a retail situation. Plenty of people carry them in backpacks and purses. Apple will try to make it as easy as possible to have that option whenever, wherever, however.

Last edited:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Clearly, Apple wants you to use Apple Pay & Touch ID on the new iPads for online purchases. But I can't see them putting NFC chips in tablets. There is nothing convenient or quick about whipping out a tablet to pay in a store.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Um, if you power off the iPad and power it back on you get a message about needing to key in your pin after a restart. I assumed that was a big clue that touch ID is coming to iPads.

Actually every device does that now, including the iPhone 4S, but you're right, it is probably a clue!

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
It's for accepting payments, silly. Like if you're running a lemonade stand in your front yard.

Just to clarify, thats sarcasm rt? Lol

As far as i know, apple pay can only be used for debit, not credits. As in you can only charge your card for purchases, not use it for POS transactions.

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Well, hopefully this update isn't cocked up like the rest of September has been.

Keynote stream failure, possible easily bending phones, iOS 8.0.1, general build quality with iPhones, general issues with iOS 8, HealthKit.

...am I missing anything else? :confused:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Visualize.

You're sitting at a sidewalk cafe and your iPad is sitting on the table.

You're in a restaurant and your iPad is sitting on the table.

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

But you have your iPhone in your pocket to support your Apple watch, and your magic Apple ring so you don't have to touch your watch. :p

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I remember when people used to say "who's gonna take pictures with an iPad? Putting a camera on it is pointless." Yet here we are, at a place where it's increasingly acceptable for someone to whoop out a full size iPad and snap a picture. People carry their iPads and iPad minis with them everywhere they go nowadays so having this functionality isn't as far fetched as it might sound. Besides, apple pay works in apps too and don't be surprised to see it starting to gain more and more functionality. Off the top of my head I can think of it being embedded in actual websites and used to transfer money from one person to another a la PayPal.

Taking picture with iPad is still ridiculous even in 2014... beside iPad camera is not really as good as iPhone anyway... no flash is big give away... often pictures are more noisy than pictures taken with iPhone....low light performance is just....eww...

Also... holding an giant iPad against POS is just downright ridiculous... if I need take iPad to pay... i rather take my wallet with my credit card and I am not carrying with my iPad all the time...

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Who's going to hold an iPad up to a register to pay for things?! Might as well add Pay to a flat-screen TV.

rsz_ipad.jpg

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Adding :apple:Pay to the iPad would require adding an NFC radio, which is pretty cheap, so why not do it? The TouchID will already be added for other reasons, so I can't see a reason NOT to add :apple:Pay support to the iPad when some users may find use for it. If one costumer uses it to make his or her life easier, then it will have been a worthy upgrade, seeing as it won't affect those who don't want to use it at all.

It's weird enough to see people taking pictures with iPad, now it will be something to see people pay with iPad. :eek:

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Are you trying to start a fight between the people who want 2GB RAM, and the people who want Apple to spend the money on NFC instead?

no ... i was pointing out that even though it may not be practical, it doesn't cost much more to include a feature that some people may benefit from.

iPhone does not need more RAM at this time. iPad does.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Apple pay, doesn't just mean it is used in physical stores, it can be used for online payments within supported apps and within Safari.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I think it will a lot of people will be using iPads if they don't have Iphone 6s or the Apple watch.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Well, hopefully this update isn't cocked up like the rest of September has been.

Keynote stream failure, possible easily bending phones, iOS 8.0.1, general build quality with iPhones, general issues with iOS 8, HealthKit.

...am I missing anything else? :confused:

Imaginary build quality issue with Iphone.. Corrected that for you.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

The Ipad camera is still mile behind that the phone, not surprising since the phone costs much more. The Ipad being bigger it is even harder to take a stable picture while looking at the screen So, still plenty stupid, don't see people doing it in 2014.

Mostly used when your alreading using your Ipad (most use is in the home, at work) and someone in the vicinity is doing something in the moment and you don't have time to switch to the phone camera. Since most people also carry phones, if they have just a bit more time (1-2 seconds), they'll get their better camera out.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Woot, great news for me as an iPad mini with cellular owner.

I'm glad Apple is unifying the iOS devices of all sizes. There's no reason to discriminate software features depending on of its an iPad or iPhone. After all, they're all just iOS devices with different form factor, that's all.

For example, in iOS 7 you couldn't take a panorama photo with iPad mini but you could with iPhone. But in iOS 8 they've fixed that inconsistency.

I hope it also gets HealthKit support!

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Woot, great news for me as an iPad mini with cellular owner.

I'm glad Apple is unifying the iOS devices of all sizes. There's no reason to discriminate software features depending on of its an iPad or iPhone. After all, they're all just iOS devices with different form factor, that's all.

For example, in iOS 7 you couldn't take a panorama photo with iPad mini but you could with iPhone. But in iOS 8 they've fixed that inconsistency.

I hope it also gets HealthKit support!

After all, Apple is still discriminate software feature depends on hardware. iPhone 6 does not get the rotation like iPhone 6 Plus, nor it get the iPad like Apps. iPhone 6 does not have hardware image stabilization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.