Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Screen shot of the customized repeating calander events please....

Folks, take some screen shots of these new features. A pic says so much more...
Here you go...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 177

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Please post a picture.
Here's the travel options for a calendar event. You can set a specific travel time which will block that time out as busy in your calendar

Also, there's a cool reminder you can set to remind you when to leave for a meeting, based on your current location.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 177

Topher227

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
Didn't see this one in the first post, forgive me if it's already been posted.

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > Exchange Mailbox > Automatic Reply
Added Automatic Reply (out of office) support to Exchange mailboxes. It even pulled the last one I used from the server.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.PNG
    IMG_0013.PNG
    72.5 KB · Views: 163

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
If you slide down on the new QucickType suggestion bar, you can hide it and receive the regular old keyboard which is useful when you type in a foreign language. The bar remains on the screen as a smaller dark grey bar (marked by red arrow) and when you swipe up on it, it reveals the suggestion bar again and re-enables Quicktype. (source: http://www.schimanke.com/archives/5676-WWDC-Weitere-Splitter-zu-iOS-8.html)

Hi! Is Autocorrect disabled when you slide down the QuickType grey bar? Meaning, does the iPhone accept whatever you type on the keyboard without trying to suggest different words like this? Danke!

xZFrD.png

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Not sure why but in one of my Exchange email accounts, whenever I get email from one person, it automatically comes up with a suggested option to save the contact. To add to the weirdness, I already have them in my contacts.

Only seems to be this one contact so far, and I can't get the option to come up on my own for others that is actually like to add to my contacts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 130

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Cool and all, but what if you're close to both a Starbucks and Apple Store?

Then you're in NYC or California, in which case it's probably best you pay attention to not walking into traffic rather than your phone :p

Seriously though, I am interested in what Apple came up with.

My theory:

Because iBeacons are based on proximity, I'd imagine the app that gets displayed is the one that recognizes you are closer. For instance, if I'm 10 feet closer to the apple store, that is what the lock screen will show, when I walk closer to the starbucks, the lock screen will reflect that.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
[/COLOR]Yahoo! also uses The Weather Channel for their data.

People keep saying that TWC and Yahoo used the same weather info, but if that were the case I would expect my weather app (using Yahoo) and my TWC app (using underground weather or whatever) to have the same information since it was coming from the same data, but it almost never does, so I something about this is wrong.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I must say. Two larger sized iPhones at once, third party widgets, third party keyboards, those are probably all things Steve wouldn't have done. But they are crucial for Apple to get back some of the Android userbase it's lost and people who would never use an iPhone because of those shortcomings. Suddenly iPhone is much more intriguing.

The thing is though, third party widgets and keyboards don't take away from the iOS/Apple polish. They won't make it a convoluted system like some would say a customized android OS is.

I doubt 80 percent of the people will even use them, but for the 20 who will it's huge, it's great for it to be an option for them.

Jobs wasn't against larger screens, he was against not being able to use the phone with one hand. I'm guessing the thickness of the new phones will not deviate from this standard - or at least the 4.7" version.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If your phone is connected via bluetooth to your car and you want to Shazam a song on the radio, you can't because when you summon Siri, it will take over your multimedia interface.

It makes sense that it won't keep playing music while trying to listen to your voice commands. There'd have to be special noise canceling processing going on to subtract out the audio track playing to try to leave your voice, which would have to take into account your car's acoustics for sound echoing etc.

toxicfusion

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
You've misunderstood me. What I meant was, has the text been modified so it fits within the button outline?

I didn't misunderstand, when you press the toggle button it turns of background refresh the iOS 7 button your posted isn't there.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Also, there's a cool reminder you can set to remind you when to leave for a meeting, based on your current location.

Still missing is the option which Google offers of setting a reminder based on travel time from your location at the time you need to leave - if I am setting up a meeting in the centre of town in a month's time, I don't necessarily know if I'll be at another meeting in town immediately before, or at my office, or working from home. The Google option helps in that case as it will monitor where you are and pop up at the appropriate time. Maybe it will follow.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Updated the first post. I still plan on posting that I've updated the first page, since I have to update in "batches" due to having many other things to work on.

Also, I'm aware that most of the links no longer work correctly. Apparently some posts got removed that changed post numbers. I'll fix that this evening.

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
Anybody else having trouble installing apps from the App Store?

It goes to the home screen, but then gets stuck on 'Waiting...' and has the white iOS grid icon.

Paint.It.Black

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Not sure why but in one of my Exchange email accounts, whenever I get email from one person, it automatically comes up with a suggested option to save the contact. To add to the weirdness, I already have them in my contacts.

Only seems to be this one contact so far, and I can't get the option to come up on my own for others that is actually like to add to my contacts.

I think it automatically detects email signatures?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Updated the first post. I still plan on posting that I've updated the first page, since I have to update in "batches" due to having many other things to work on.

Also, I'm aware that most of the links no longer work correctly. Apparently some posts got removed that changed post numbers. I'll fix that this evening.

Some posts had been moved / deleted to highlight the actual list, which breaks the ordering / post numbering I forgot to mention that in my PM.

Thanks again for the efforts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.