Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But it wasn't in the GM that was released for the iPhone 4 or before. There was no GM released for the iPhone 4S, which is where Siri would have been. That's the point. We are not splitting hairs. You just cannot admit being wrong.

There will be new features for the iPhone 6, but these will not appear in the GM for iOS 8 when it comes out for the iPhone 5S and earlier. Like the person I was quoting was asking about. Which you keep neglecting to acknowledge.
Or it was in the GM just no hardware to use it to see it. Technically speaking GM is the very version that gets installed in the first batches of new phones coming for sale, so it was in fact was was installed in those 4S phones (

I believe people found references to it in the APIs as well. The new features can certainly be there, just no hardware in customer hands for them to be used in.

It's all good though. Seems like this horse was beaten enough.

----------

Okay guys, we are talking about all the new little features in iOS 8, not whether Siri was found in a GM build or not, way back, years ago. Whatever happened or didn't happen, it doesn't relate to a discussion pertaining to iOS 8.
I guess it's all to say that there can be some feature or features in iOS 8 that are related to new hardware in one way or another that are yet to be revealed.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Mail detect tracking numbers (shipments)

I received an email about a package including a tracking number.

When I clicked the number in the Mail app, it gave me the option to track shipment or copy the value.

In the past, it would ask me to call that number.

UPDATE: Yosemite does it too

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Or it was in the GM just no hardware to use it to see it. Technically speaking GM is the very version that gets installed in the first batches of new phones coming for sale, so it was in fact was was installed in those 4S phones

iOS GMs are device specific. Any new feature that's will be device specific, will not be in the GM released on the iPhone 5S or earlier. Just like Siri code was not in the iOS 5 beta on the iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4.

The person I quoted asked if we would see any new features in GM. The technically correct answer is no. You took it off on an unrelated tangent and refuse to acknowledge that you're answering his question wrongly.

Any new features now, will be on the new device, which we won't get to use until after the GM and the final version of iOS 8 gets released.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS GMs are device specific. Any new feature that's will be device specific, will not be in the GM released on the iPhone 5S or earlier. Just like Siri code was not in the iOS 5 beta on the iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4.

The person I quoted asked if we would see any new features in GM. The technically correct answer is no. You took it off on an unrelated tangent and refuse to acknowledge that you're answering his question wrongly.

Any new features now, will be on the new device, which we won't get to use until after the GM and the final version of iOS 8 gets released.
I wasn't answering anyone's question and just commenting on the discussion.

In any case, seems like we are in agreement that there can be new features that come to light when the new hardware and GM get announced, just generally features that could only be used on that new hardware.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
iOS 8, All The Little Things! [Features Discovered in iOS 8]

I wasn't answering anyone's question and just commenting on the discussion.

In any case, seems like we are in agreement that there can be new features that come to light when the new hardware and GM get announced, just generally features that could only be used on that new hardware.

You were incorrectly commenting on my reply to his question. Which you still seem to fail to realise or acknowledge. No new features with the GM being released to the developers. That was the only point being made and discussed, until your random irrelevant tangent. Case closed.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
I received an email about a package including a tracking number.

When I clicked the number in the Mail app, it gave me the option to track shipment or copy the value.

In the past, it would ask me to call that number.

UPDATE: Yosemite does it too

Strange though, it's done for me for ages, pretty sure since iOS 6...

Jebstyle

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
Enable calling from Yosemite

In the iOS 8 GM there is an option under Facetime to turn on "iphone cellular calls" in Yosemite and on your iPad.
Yosemite cellular calling.jpg

However, if you enable this, you cannot have wifi calling turned on. it will automatically turn off wifi calling, and vice-versa.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
In the iOS 8 GM there is an option under Facetime to turn on "iphone cellular calls" in Yosemite and on your iPad.
View attachment 490003

However, if you enable this, you cannot have wifi calling turned on. it will automatically turn off wifi calling, and vice-versa.

The option was there in beta 3 onwards, I believe. It's part of handoff/continuity, as demoed at WWDC.

As for it turning off wifi calling, that makes sense I guess, as it's probably using wifi if you're connecting to a Mac or iPad for the call. Would be nice if it was smart though, if I answer my iPhone, use wifi calling, if on iPad or mac, then not to.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Not very impressed with iOS 8 GM to be honest. The performance is worse than 7.1.2 on my iPhone 5. On iOS 8 I experience occasional hickups. Overal it seems to run less smooth and not so fast. :(

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
When you get disconnected from your carrier (with settings->carrier->automatic->off) you get a notification on your lock screen. In iOs 7 no matter where you slide to unlock your device (notification or "slide to unlock" text) operator settings will open up. In iOs 8GM this no longer happens, if you slide outside the notification phone will just unlock without launching operator settings. Finally.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Quick question that I hope hasn't been answered already -- looking at the demos of the iPhone 6, it appears that the home screen finally rotates along with the phone, but the dock/shelf remains stationary, next to the home button.

Does the same thing occur with iOS 8 on an iPad? I'd love to have the option to keep the dock on the side, next to the home button while in landscape mode.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Quick question that I hope hasn't been answered already -- looking at the demos of the iPhone 6, it appears that the home screen finally rotates along with the phone, but the dock/shelf remains stationary, next to the home button.

Does the same thing occur with iOS 8 on an iPad? I'd love to have the option to keep the dock on the side, next to the home button while in landscape mode.

No, the iPad still rotates as usual.

rza49311

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
You can view ALL pics/vids of an SMS thread now from within that SMS thread right? If so, can you delete any of the content there? My wife is horrible about sending videos and not deleting any of the SMS threads so her SMS.DB stays in the GB's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.