Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I work in the medical sector and have never seen a colon. I guess because it's military time and that's not exactly the same as 24h time. It looks wrong to me. I work night shift sometimes and if I wake up and my phone says 8:00 I sometimes question if it's 8am or 8pm. If it says 0800 I know it's 8am vs 2000. In the AM times the colon throws me off.
If you have a 24 hour clock then seeing 08:00 with or without a colon certainly means AM since anything below 12 is AM, it's not the colon that really reflects or affects that just the number which is rather easy to tell with or without a colon.

That said, that's basically one of the differences between military time and regular 24 hour time (which is what the iPhone and most devices typically support).

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
Can someone tell me if I click on a photo in camera roll or albums, will it give me more options than just Facebook and Flickr? My Android on Kit Kat would allow me to upload to Photobucket or imgur which was great for posting on forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
iOS 8, All The Little Things! [Features Discovered in iOS 8]

Can someone tell me if I click on a photo in camera roll or albums, will it give me more options than just Facebook and Flickr? My Android on Kit Kat would allow me to upload to Photobucket or imgur which was great for posting on forums.

It's the same. photo bucket or imgur could use sharing extensions tho, once they update their apps for iOS 8.

Last edited:

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
If you have a 24 hour clock then seeing 08:00 with or without a colon certainly means AM since anything below 12 is AM, it's not the colon that really reflects or affects that just the number which is rather easy to tell with or without a colon.

That said, that's basically one of the differences between military time and regular 24 hour time (which is what the iPhone and most devices typically support).

Right, but I'm used to the 24 hr clocks I see having no colons, so when I see the colon my half asleep brain needs to think for a second. If I saw 0800 I would no right away. Minor complaint, but it bugs me.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK

Apps can now use a sharing extension to provide that sort of functionality.

fredcintra

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Right, but I'm used to the 24 hr clocks I see having no colons, so when I see the colon my half asleep brain needs to think for a second. If I saw 0800 I would no right away. Minor complaint, but it bugs me.

AFAIK 24h uses colon worldwide, it would bugs me if I see without colon

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
iOS 8, All The Little Things! [Features Discovered in iOS 8]

how can we reply the message right from the lock screen? Does iOS 8 inlcude this?

Yes you can. Swipe the message to the left and you will see 'reply'.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410684554.725355.jpg

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
I think it works for iPhone 5 or above. I cant get this on iPhone 4s. Nor , reply from notification center too. Ony gets whenever a message pops up and swiping down the notification from anywhere. Nothing else works. :rolleyes:

You also have to have "show preview" turned on for messages in the notifications preferences. If you have that off (presumably so someone can't just pick up your phone and read your texts off the lock screen), then you can't reply from the lock screen either - because that would require showing you the preview of the message.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I have no idea if anyone said this before or if it even matters, but it seems you can't raise your phone to your ear to activate Siri now.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
You can turn it off if you don't like it... Or that not what you mean?

I meant the reply option only shows up when the preview is on. If the show preview is off the reply option doesn't come. It should be like tap on reply and then the message is previewed and then you can reply.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I meant the reply option only shows up when the preview is on. If the show preview is off the reply option doesn't come. It should be like tap on reply and then the message is previewed and then you can reply.

But then it defeats the point of having message preview turned off surely?! The whole point of having it turned off is that so no one can see the preview?!??

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
But then it defeats the point of having message preview turned off surely?! The whole point of having it turned off is that so no one can see the preview?!??

It's possible under the passcode settings to turn off reply with messages when phone is locked. Preview still available

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Not very impressed with iOS 8 GM to be honest. The performance is worse than 7.1.2 on my iPhone 5. On iOS 8 I experience occasional hickups. Overal it seems to run less smooth and not so fast. :(

I am running iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 and it is buttery smooth. How exactly did you update? Did you do a fresh install? Sounds like you might have to, cause what you're experiencing is not normal.

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
Yes you can. Swipe the message to the left and you will see 'reply'.

View attachment 491141

I, personally, don't understand this.
You have a lock screen. With the word 'lock' in it. It is to lock your phone from being used by unwanted individuals. Why on earth do you want to reply to messages on a lock screen and do other personal stuff...

But that is just me.

----------

I am running iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 and it is buttery smooth. How exactly did you update? Did you do a fresh install? Sounds like you might have to, cause what you're experiencing is not normal.

I experience the same.
I did a restore and an install. Both times I have the same issues on the iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.