Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Man, ya'll are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. All that this is going to be is a minor upgrade to the iPad 2. I'm sure android will come out w/ a tablet featuring haptic feedback... and then apple (being late to the trend) will come out with it next year.

And this is coming from an apple fanboy. Don't get your hopes up. Expect the minimum while paying premium prices. Sorry if that sounds too negative for your baby eye's, but that's just been apples trend lately.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Man, ya'll are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. All that this is going to be is a minor upgrade to the iPad 2. I'm sure android will come out w/ a tablet featuring haptic feedback... and then apple (being late to the trend) will come out with it next year.

And this is coming from an apple fanboy. Don't get your hopes up. Expect the minimum while paying premium prices. Sorry if that sounds too negative for your baby eye's, but that's just been apples trend lately.

Lets just leave Apple to worry about it self, not what everyone else is doing.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
If Apple would include a tech like this in this iteration it would be checkmate for the competition for a couple of years.
This is the kind of tech that would change the game and Apple has the developer community to pull this of in a fast way.
They really only need 2-3 apps to launch with this to get started.

Very exciting if this happened.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Maybe it uses electrical feedback to know you are still on the button or joystick.
That would probably drain the battery though. Who knows? I can’t wait to find out the truth.

wonza

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
:)

I actually think it might be possible. It certainly makes sense with the clue 'touch' we've been able to touch the previous ipads, so I don't see why they would feel the need to include that.

But also, with the case being thicker it would explain it. A thicker iPad would have put me off, however with this feature it would be an instant buy!

Apple also put in a patent around a year ago for this very thing.

famanoran

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
UK
Haptic feedback has been available in Android phones and other devices forever. Apple playing catch up, copying, and passing it off as innovation once again!

Perhaps the Apple innovation will be: "it actually works!".

Cereal

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
Tiny electric shocks?:D

"Don't Tase me bro!!!"

dont_tase_me_bro.png

Mike¬

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
driving expectations

to me that just seems to be some people wanting to drive up the expectations so we're later disappointed.
not me! there's no way!
dreams die last, but at times it's just healthier to be realistic about the close future.

in a few years, i'll also be excited about this tech becoming available and i was already excited when i read the patent describing it some time ago.
but to hope for it now doesn't make much sense.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
It's messed up that Macrumors closed the thread in the iPad section. User Zweimaster brought this up a week ago and nobody caught on and now that major sites are finally considering it, they close the original thread for it to fade into obscurity.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
Sounds a bit too gimmicky without a specific function. Maybe it will just be implemented for typing initially, to address the number one complaint with touch screen keyboards. To have any app capable of utilizing haptic feedback sounds a little too much like a battery killer.

StangerHD

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
I too highly doubt that this will make it into this next generation....

That being said, there is the rumor going around that some 3rd party manufacturers are saying that this next iPad will be called the "iPad HD". Could it be that "HD" stands for "haptic display" rather than "high definition" (or perhaps both)?

Sorry...just had to fan the flames of this rumor a bit more.:D

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Sounds a bit too gimmicky without a specific function. Maybe it will just be implemented for typing initially, to address the number one complaint with touch screen keyboards. To have any app capable of utilizing haptic feedback sounds a little too much like a battery killer.

It would change gaming on the iPad and it would be logical for Apple to implement it in other iOS devices. Games just so happen to be the biggest seller in the app store.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.

not much of a fanboy.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I don't know if that is going to happened or not but they got to push with new technologies for iPad, iPhone to not be left behind. Good example is the latest Samsung Galaxy Beam with projector installed.
All what I am saying is what would be selling point of iPad 4 or iPhone 5? Better processor and better camera? I am afraid its not enough to make me upgrade my iPhone 4 or 4s or iPad 2.

15 Lumens is absolutely worthless as a projector. Even on a tiny projection surface, think the size of a television, 15 lumens isn't bright enough to be useful unless the room is uselessly dark. This is just another bullet point, and you'd think that by now these guys would realize that the number of bullet points on their box doesn't improve sales.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
I did some small research and found out that it's called "pressure sensitive"
it's the feature on ipad 2 that I think the stylus maker "ten one design" is using

Search YouTube for "pressure sensitive demonstration":D

Accelerometer I think is related to this but it's about tilting the ipad left to right and forward to backward just as what the racing apps are using

Nope, pressure sensitive is something very different. The iPad doesn't support pressure sensitivity natively, which is why some of the pen manufacturers are cooking the PS functionality into their products. Garage Band uses the accelerometer for dynamic controls. The amount that the iPad moves determines the volume of the sound played.

Most folks believe the "something to see" bit is in regards to a new Apple TV, not talking about the iPad.

Since you've clearly done exhaustive research on the topic, can you post your findings for all of us to peruse?

Haptic feedback has been available in Android phones and other devices forever. Apple playing catch up, copying, and passing it off as innovation once again!

Swing and a miss. Care to try again?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Man, ya'll are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. All that this is going to be is a minor upgrade to the iPad 2. [Android fanboy stuff deleted] Don't get your hopes up. Expect the minimum while paying premium prices. Sorry if that sounds too negative for your baby eye's, but that's just been apples trend lately.

Okay, let's do the opposite then. Lower our expectation so much that the new iPad specs will seem incredibly impressive!

I predict the next iPad will feature:
- A totally new half-core CPU running at 100 MHz, which allows Apple to increases the battery life by 10%
- iPhone 3 screen resolution in the same 9.7 inches size, allowing the use of a weaker GPU to increase battery life by yet another 12.7%
- no CDMA, 3G or LTE chip or antenna because those are the real battery-drainers. The new iPad will only feature 802.11g Wi-Fi since there's McDonald's everywhere.
- only 1GB of Flash storage to reduce the cost. Wi-Fi is free, so use the iCloud to store your files!
- Because of the limited space and slower CPU, the new iPad will only be able to run iOS3. You'll never be out-of-date again, iOS3 forever!
- no touch screen. It may seem like a big step backwards, but the new iPad will feature an integrated gamepad to allow you to move a cursor around the screen.
- no built-in speaker. Getting audio via only the headphone jack was good enough for the first generation iPod touch, it's good enough for the new iPad.

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-ca; HTC Desire Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

andiwm2003 said:
would be great but since it didn't make it into the iPhone yet I doubt that it would be done at the much larger iPad.

Also there are already some big changes to the iPad (likely) like retina display, 4G, A5X, 1GB Ram. Adding a haptic display would probably make it too expensive and add too much challenge to the engineering for now.

That is wrong. IPad technology was developed first even though the iPhone appeared first on the market. So why would any new technology have to be tested first on the iPhone?

wonza

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008

There's a massive difference between a little vibrate when you tap on a button to what this is proposed to be. lol

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
I think it's funny how everybody only refers to the "And touch" phrase, and nobody mentions the touching finger in the photo of the invitation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.