Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Am I the only person praying for a pages update that's compatible with iCloud.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Maybe for iPad 4.

Senseg's technology looks interesting, if you don't mind having "electro-vibration stimulus" running through your fingertips. But simultaneously doubling the screen resolution and adding haptic feedback would seem to limit the punch of both of them - it'd be more effective from an advertising perspective to roll them out iteratively.
Also, screen coating technologies like Senseg's Tixel typically degrade quality. Unless they've perfected it so it doesn't cloud the Retina screen, I don't think Apple would include it in this launch.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I've never used a haptic display. Is it really that good? Do you think it would be a huge improvement in usability and user experience on the iPhone?

©©©©©

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Wasn't that the accelerometer? Or am I thinking of something else?

I did some small research and found out that it's called "pressure sensitive"
it's the feature on ipad 2 that I think the stylus maker "ten one design" is using

Search YouTube for "pressure sensitive demonstration":D

Accelerometer I think is related to this but it's about tilting the ipad left to right and forward to backward just as what the racing apps are using

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Doubt this will happen. The technology exists, but I just can't see Apple upgrading to both a retina display and haptic feedback.

I'd love to be wrong though!

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
power hog

I can only imagine but wouldn't a technology like this consume more battery power? I really doubt Apple would sacrifice battery life for at the moment is a novel idea with few if no apps available to utilize it. My vote is not going to happen this year.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
This would be so awesome. No other tablet has this...but I don't see it happening, but Apple has surprised us before right?

in a month Samsung will have it thanks to this tip off lol. Samsung the sheep always has been always will be.

----------

I've never used a haptic display. Is it really that good? Do you think it would be a huge improvement in usability and user experience on the iPhone?

Look at all the comments on this thread and that should answer your question.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
I don't see it happening either. Too much of an update for Apple to make. The tech might be there, but they'll holdoff until iPad 4.

The only part that has me thinking it *could* happen is the see and TOUCH quote.

©©©©©

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
You mean this? Probably one of the ugliest phones I've ever seen. Who would want to carry this around in their pocket? And how often would you user the projector? It's times like these I'm glad Steve, Jony et al were just as focused on what to leave out of a product as they wee on what they put in.

Samsung-Galaxy-Beam.jpg

It looks like a flashlight
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I don't see it happening either. Too much of an update for Apple to make. The tech might be there, but they'll holdoff until iPad 4.

The only part that has me thinking it *could* happen is the see and TOUCH quote.

Too bad Samesung will go rip off the idea and release it in a month or two now and beat Apple to the punch then all the android babies will think their god is the all knowing and Apple are the sheep.:rolleyes:

Andras5soul

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
NY
not to sound stupid, but didn't someone order a spare ipad 3 screen and put it under a microscope to test for resolution? Can't someone just put the damn thing under a microscope again, break it in half, i don't care what, and see if it has additional parts, features, any signs that would point to a screen with tactile feedback?

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
As was the kind grudging consensus late in Zweimeter original thread,
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1332489/, the chances are very low that this would be in the iPad 3.

It's cool, it would be a serious shock and crazy cool if it did get squeezed in the update. However again between Cameras and a Retina display (plus BT4.0 & LTE possible) the iPad 3/HD is defiantly getting a serious update already.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'd love to see it but wonder if the tech is mature enough that Apple would risk its iPad franchise on it, especially when the iPad 3 doesn't need a HR right now, just a double. (Sorry for baseball metaphor, but its that time of year. Yea.)

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
You mean this? Probably one of the ugliest phones I've ever seen. Who would want to carry this around in their pocket? And how often would you user the projector? It's times like these I'm glad Steve, Jony et al were just as focused on what to leave out of a product as they wee on what they put in.

I can't imagine there are more than a couple hundred people in the world that look at that phone and say "ohhhh....I've gotta have that".

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
Haptic feedback has been available in Android phones and other devices forever. Apple playing catch up, copying, and passing it off as innovation once again!

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Too bad Samesung will go rip off the idea and release it in a month or two now and beat Apple to the punch then all the android babies will think their god is the all knowing and Apple are the sheep.:rolleyes:

More like. "too bad samsung will likely be the screen manufacturer." Try again

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
sigh

it wouldn't be the final countdown before an event without a few wild rumors... and then after the announcement there will be people bad mouthing the update with, "what only a HD display? I won't buy it because I am going to wait for the Haptic Display."

but yeah, it's hard not to hope for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.