Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Would whoever had access to the new screen be able to tell if this technology was incorporated (without plugging it in?)

I would have thought that it wouldnt be part of the actual screen, but the touchscreen glass. Could that be what the extra long ribon cable on it is for maybe? It would explain why!

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
sounds like this sort of technology, would have the tagline of And feel, not And touch

If Apple put "feel" on their invite it would give too much away. Not saying that this technology will be in the next iPad for sure but I doubt Apple would give that big of hint if it is.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
What is the quality of this in regards to length? Will this technology slowly stop working over 1-2 years because the electric field becomes worn or whatever problems could happen? If so, it certainly won't be included!

If not, this is something Apple might need to include in the iPad 3 to stay ahead of all the other copy cats. However, it does seem a little too 'gimmicky' for Apple's standards IMO.

- Joe

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
When I got rid of (mistakenly) my iPad 2 last year, after drinking the Cool Aid and believing there would be a second iPad release later on last year, I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. The haptic feedback was one of the cool features I like about it. It's a nice feature, but I'm concerned the constant feedback draining the battery down. Hopefully, the user will be able to turn on and off.

The feature wouldnt always be on. Its not regular haptic feedback. Regular haptic feedback sucks and is stupid.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is a lot more likely than a quad-core processor. Apple isn't about checking boxes off a spec list. They put in the features and specs that are necessary to deliver the features they want, not to keep spec-hungry tech fans happy.

How many people even know what a quad-core processor would add? On the other hand, Apple can tangibly demonstrate the benefits of haptic feedback. Haptic itself isn't anything new (my old Nexus One has some haptic feedback), but Apple usually delays introducing something until they can do it right. Haptic may well be at that stage now.

On a related note, while the iPad 3 may also have 1GB of RAM, we won't know for sure until iFixit or someone else tears one apart to look. Apple isn't likely to say today.

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Let's try and keep this within the realms of reality eh?
If this did exist, it would require software interaction to make it work. Lots of third party software people have been working on stuff for a while now to get it ready for today. Have any of them as much as hinted even the possibility of a chance that something like this may be coming our way today? No.

So in short it ain't going to happen. At all.
From something that was a 'not a chance" feature, people are going to get upset when it doesn't happen. Get over it now.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Now the rumors start to move the bar so high that a great new product gets ho-hum reviews because it can't do time travel.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So in short it ain't going to happen. At all.
From something that was a 'not a chance" feature, people are going to get upset when it doesn't happen. Get over it now.

Apple's pulled some surprises in the past. This is in the realm of possibility, but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't include it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I hope this isn't another case of the rumor mill setting expectations so high that anything apple announces will be a letdown. :(

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
If this turned out to be true

You are going to have to be extremely lucky to be getting an iPad within the first week it gets released. Long lines, stores sold out, Apple website crashing, immediate 2-4 week shipping dates, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

pillowcaser

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
This might be happening

I know conventional wisdom would be to doubt this. Why would Apple do more then they need to (as evidence by the iPhone screen size etc.), but being in the field of marketing, I take their marketing line to heart. Apple choose their words very very carefully, "And touch." is given its own two word sentence. Why the word "touch?" It's not the iPod touch in the ads picture. We know why they are drawing attention to the "have to see" due to the retina display. Why add "touch?"

I think this story has legs. The disclaimer from Senseg about not talking until after the announcement is also, relatively strong evidence. The description of the technology seems subtle and very Apple like in my opinion. I see a fit. I also take note of the iPad 2 announcement saying that they see "year 2" as still being the year of the iPad and not that of the tablet knockoffs (which was predicted by tech critics). In that they mentioned the price and polish as really being what would keep them ahead of the game. The inference was, the iPad 3 would go beyond price and polish and be a feature rich device to stay ahead.

I am going out on a limb here. I think this might be happening.

Last edited:

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
You are going to have to be extremely lucky to be getting an iPad within the first week it gets released. Long lines, stores sold out, Apple website crashing, immediate 2-4 week shipping dates, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

That sounds like a normal iPad release.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I doubt we'll see this in the iPad 3. However, in iPad 4 I can easily imagine this with a quad-core processor.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
well one thing is for sure. Samsung will go ahead and do it now :p or all the android babies won't be able to defend their Apple hate.

Last edited:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
The new iPad, whatever it is called, WILL have this feature. It's a gamechanger.

lemoncrsh

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hmmm

iPad Touch?

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
Would whoever had access to the new screen be able to tell if this technology was incorporated (without plugging it in?)

Not necessarily. it's a paper thin film that attaches to to the glass. Who knows what stage in the manufacturing those leaked parts were in. And would the guys who wound up with the parts know what they were looking for?

This is unlikely to happen, but when thinking about how this could stay secret think about who would have to know:

- Apple who has been known to keep a secret.

- Foxcon... There is reason to believe that all the parts leaks are from suppliers not Foxcon.

- And lastly, some third party start-up full of about to be billionaires if only they can keep a secret for a few months.

Lordskelic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
Texas
This would be so awesome. No other tablet has this...but I don't see it happening, but Apple has surprised us before right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.