Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Hi everyone, I just got my 2nd iPhone 15 Pro which has the same "issue" as the first one. At this point I don't know if I'm being picky, but has anyone noticed an effect like "film grain" on the display of the 15 Pro? It's like having a matte screen protector installed all the time... let me know, thanks!

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Always noticed this “issue” with oled especially with dark grey color at really low/lowest brightness. All 3 15 pro max and 1 15 pro I bought(all returned due to dead pixel and cosmetic damages) had it.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Always noticed this “issue” with oled especially with dark grey color at really low/lowest brightness. All 3 15 pro max and 1 15 pro I bought(all returned due to dead pixel and cosmetic damages) had it.
So I’m not crazy, definitely some quality control issues here. I’ll try and get my display replaced as the phones in the Apple Store don’t seem to show this defect. Thanks!

Reactions: Ta0jin and danyazol

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
It’s very hard to see in pictures because of other distortion effect in the photo. The only picture I’ve found is this on the Apple Support Forum of an iPhone 13, but the issue is exactly the same: IMG_0306.jpeg

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Hi everyone, I just got my 2nd iPhone 15 Pro which has the same "issue" as the first one. At this point I don't know if I'm being picky, but has anyone noticed an effect like "film grain" on the display of the 15 Pro? It's like having a matte screen protector installed all the time... let me know, thanks!
I do not have this issue. It is interesting to hear this 🤔. I hope somehow your problem get resolved and not many are experiencing this problem. Consult with Genius Bar or Apple Support. Good luck. Keep calm and be happy 😊

Reactions: AlecEdworthy

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
never seen/heard of such an issue... i think its visible more on white backgrounds, so i tried but i dont see anything wrong on my 15P...

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Return it to Apple and compare it to the ones in store and if you decide to try another, test that one in store side by side with a genius there to witness.
Hard to say without seeing it first hand but my 15 Pro certainly doesn’t have a grainy looking display.

danyazol

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2023
I returned it and got another one but it’s the same. I will try and replace my screen at the Genius Bar when I can find some time
Quality control this year is very bad. Replaced bunch of iPhones this year. 3 units had ugly red tint on the screen, 1 unit was overheating and draining the battery, 1 unit was scratched out of the box, 2 units had dust inside camera lenses. And the last one I’ve got has this stupid grainy texture on the screen. Compared my iPhone to my friend’s iPhone 12 Pro. On the 12 pro the screen is so much better. No grainy texture at all!

So freaking tired of this stupid lottery.

P.S.

Before this disaster I used iPhone 11 for 4 years. Not a single issue. No dust, perfect screen, nothing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape Dave

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
So you would chance some snotty nosed Geek changing your screen on a new phone and end up with the same results?

I doubt they would even change your screen.
I cannot have my phone replaced endlessly on Amazon unfortunately, and the probability of ending up with another issue of some sort is too high to try and replace the whole phone again. I’d rather have my screen changed and if something happens it’s their fault and they have to fix it.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I cannot have my phone replaced endlessly on Amazon unfortunately, and the probability of ending up with another issue of some sort is too high to try and replace the whole phone again. I’d rather have my screen changed and if something happens it’s their fault and they have to fix it.

‘I think you will find that Apple will not change your screen.

Reactions: Gameboi301123

Gameboi301123

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
So it's not an "issue" technically, it's more just the nature of how OLED displays can be. Almost all OLED displays have it to some extent if you go looking for them closely. If it's too much on your device you can try exchanging, but if you were able to notice it in the first place, it's highly unlikely you'll find a "perfect" display.

I can notice it on mine only if I hold the screen about 3 inches from my eyes...

Gameboi301123

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
Same thing with my replaced unit. Have you replaced yours ? Did it help ?
To some extent I have seen this "issue" in all devices this year. If you go looking for them hard enough you'll notice it.

Apple won't consider this an issue worth replacing I think.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
finally got another 15 pro and i have the same "issue" too. it's like grain/grey dots on the screen and its only visible if you look at it really closely. i also noticed that only lg screens are affected by this problem.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
For those seeing this, what was your previous phone? Was it an OLED or LCD screen?

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I have the same issues on my 15 pro. Came from a 13 pro that had to have a Samsung display and I noticed it immediately. I assume my 15 pro has the LG display.

Reactions: ExploRichie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.