Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
This is my iPhone 15Pro screen picture taken with my iPadAir 5, it's very sharp no signs of any problems.

Attachments

• Apple iPhone15Pro Screen Photo.jpg.jpeg
    Apple iPhone15Pro Screen Photo.jpg.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 160

ReliableSource

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2011
Ditto on this issue. I got my 15 Pro yesterday, and there's a faint 'grain like' pattern on the screen, most noticeable at ~70% or lower brightness. It stays in place as I scroll, and text looks noticeably less crisp compared to my 14 Pro, which has perfectly flat/untextured solid colours and no noticeable 'grain'.

I know I can take it back to the Apple Store for a swap within 14 days, but;
  1. I hate the experience of trying to convey an issue to a store employee who inevitably won't be able to notice it, and
  2. In the past, with similar things, I've had to go through multiple swaps before randomly hitting a non-affected unit. I find this hugely socially awkward to do, especially because of #1 above.
Very keen to know how y'all handle this. On the assumption that some 15 Pro units don't have this issue (based on replies in this thread), I will take mine back to a store –– possibly a different store, hoping it's a different batch etc. No idea if that's a sane strategy, but feels worth a shot.

(I've just spent the last two hours throwing keywords into Google trying to find anyone else online noticing this, and finally used the right keyword-incantation and stumbled on this thread. Thank you all so far – it's always reassuring to not be the only one!)

I just keep returning the device and buying a new one. Social awkwardness be damned, I’m not paying so much money for a device that’s going to bother me. I’ve never returned them to the same person twice anyway, and I’ve gone through the process several times myself (I think I went through 4 11 Pro Maxes?).

For what it’s worth, I have never had this issue on an iPhone, but my Series 4 Apple Watch had it bad. It wasn’t enough to bother me on a watch, but I would definitely not accept it on a phone.

koalath

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
Update: I swapped mine yesterday at a (different, just in case) Apple Store, and the new unit doesn't have this issue thankfully.

Before approaching somebody, as a sanity check, I compared my affected 15 Pro with the display models, and – though difficult to tell under the bright store lighting (and the fact that the display models seem to have their brightness driven higher at the same % vs non-display models) – I could see that they weren't affected.

The person I spoke to was happy to do the swap without me trying to illustrate the issue, but I ended up showing him anyway (by using a screenshot of a home screen with blurry photo background– the same image side-by-side, on both my old 14 Pro and the affected 15 Pro, with brightness set to the same % via Siri).

Unlike, say, a bright green strip across the screen, it's super difficult to convey the grain issue to somebody else (especially under the aforementioned bright store lighting), but the colour gradients that made up the blurry background photo seemed to show the 'speckled grain' the most clearly when side-by-side with an unaffected unit. I explained that it was incredibly faint, but something that was hugely obvious when, for example, in bed & using the device at low brightness, close-to-face. I mentioned that the 'speckled grain' almost looked like the screen had a matte screen protector on. He agreed that he could see what I saw, but I'm unsure if he was just being polite. Either way, the outcome was that I now have a 15 Pro with a screen without grain, which is consistent with my years of comparable OLED-based iPhone experiences.

It remains a mystery to me how prevalent the issue really is– i.e. are you more likely to get a grainy iPhone, or a non-grainy one. I presume, though have no way to verify, that a device from a different batch/store/delivery is the best bet when swapping (versus just continuing to swap from the same store, from stock that arrived all together in one batch/delivery).

Details, just for reference: I bought the affected iPhone from Apple directly (online, picked up in-store); so it was handled as a regular return/exchange within 14 days– i.e. not a Genius Bar swap/repair/etc. The process was simple, and the people in store are seemingly used to swaps for things like this.

Thanks again all for putting into words your experiences in this thread. A reminder, because coming across this helped me: it's a lot of money you're spending, and you shouldn't have to live with a subpar product.

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I have the white 15 pro as well and I get the replacement tomorrow and am worried I’m gonna have to return it once more and I might just get the 14 pro because that’s the phone I had and no issues
Let me know if you get one with a Samsung screen. I’ve gone through 4 15 pro’s all with the LG and grainy screens. Black if that matters.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Update: I swapped mine yesterday at a (different, just in case) Apple Store, and the new unit doesn't have this issue thankfully.

Before approaching somebody, as a sanity check, I compared my affected 15 Pro with the display models, and – though difficult to tell under the bright store lighting (and the fact that the display models seem to have their brightness driven higher at the same % vs non-display models) – I could see that they weren't affected.

The person I spoke to was happy to do the swap without me trying to illustrate the issue, but I ended up showing him anyway (by using a screenshot of a home screen with blurry photo background– the same image side-by-side, on both my old 14 Pro and the affected 15 Pro, with brightness set to the same % via Siri).

Unlike, say, a bright green strip across the screen, it's super difficult to convey the grain issue to somebody else (especially under the aforementioned bright store lighting), but the colour gradients that made up the blurry background photo seemed to show the 'speckled grain' the most clearly when side-by-side with an unaffected unit. I explained that it was incredibly faint, but something that was hugely obvious when, for example, in bed & using the device at low brightness, close-to-face. I mentioned that the 'speckled grain' almost looked like the screen had a matte screen protector on. He agreed that he could see what I saw, but I'm unsure if he was just being polite. Either way, the outcome was that I now have a 15 Pro with a screen without grain, which is consistent with my years of comparable OLED-based iPhone experiences.

It remains a mystery to me how prevalent the issue really is– i.e. are you more likely to get a grainy iPhone, or a non-grainy one. I presume, though have no way to verify, that a device from a different batch/store/delivery is the best bet when swapping (versus just continuing to swap from the same store, from stock that arrived all together in one batch/delivery).

Details, just for reference: I bought the affected iPhone from Apple directly (online, picked up in-store); so it was handled as a regular return/exchange within 14 days– i.e. not a Genius Bar swap/repair/etc. The process was simple, and the people in store are seemingly used to swaps for things like this.

Thanks again all for putting into words your experiences in this thread. A reminder, because coming across this helped me: it's a lot of money you're spending, and you shouldn't have to live with a subpar product.
What colour?

Lizziecoopee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
Let me know if you get one with a Samsung screen. I’ve gone through 4 15 pro’s all with the LG and grainy screens. Black if that matters.
I thankfully got “lucky” and got a normal iPhone 15 pro 125 GB in white. I went as far as to go to my nearest target and compared the replacement phone to the in store models just to double check the grainy screen AFTER comparing the replacement phone to the defective phone.

• Love
Reactions: Robot21 and koalath

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
For those wondering how to check your display manufacturer...

You can run sysdiagnose on your phone (press volume up, volume down, and lock button) all together for around a second. You will feel the phone vibrate. Wait a couple of minutes and then go to Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Analytics and Improvements -> Analytics Data.

You will then scroll down and look for a file titled: sysdiagnose_XXXXXXXX

You will click on that file and then click the arrow in the upper right hand corner and scroll down and click "Save to Files"

Once it is saved you will go into your files and click the file to unpack it. Within the folder that is unpacked you will click on the folder "ioreg" and then click the file "IODeviceTree". You will then use the magnifying search glass in the bottom right hand corner to search "raw-panel". It will then give you a serial number.

I have an LG display which has the beginning letters of GVC.

Reactions: zkap

colinw123

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Don’t laugh but where is the lock button on a 15 Pro, there is volume up and down, the new mute button and the power button.

if it’s the power button it does not work, as I get two sliders, one to power off and one for emergency call.

Last edited:

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Don’t laugh but where is the lock button on a 15 Pro, there is volume up and down, the new mute button and the power button.

if it’s the power button it does not work, as I get two sliders, one to power off and one for emergency call.
It is the power button.. you have to press them all at the exact same time until you feel a buzz. It only takes a second and you usually end up taking a screenshot as well.

Reactions: colinw123

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
How satisfied are you with the uniformity of the display?
If you mean me then I don’t see a problem with it at all. If I was being insanely picky then I would say there is the most minimal of blurriness on the clock in the top left, but not enough to notice without being anal.

Luke_atb

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2023
ok, I have the same panel and it is very nice and white and bright but slightly yellower at the top right than at the bottom, but only when nightshift is on everything else is nice and even

Reactions: DaveS86

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
I don’t really use night shift, I’ll give it a go tonight and report back

Cellophaneskies

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
East Anglia, England
I just wanted to add to the discussion here. I’ve been dying to change to a bigger iPhone after a year with a 13 mini.

Just got a 14 a straight away notice grain on the screen, especially noticeable when scrolling past blocks of colour.

I think this is an OLED characteristic because I have noticed it to varying degrees on other devices but usually only on dark greys. I’m seeing it on this forum, and can even see it on white backgrounds!

Unacceptable for the cost of the device. My 13 mini does have it, but I haven’t noticed it for a year! And I have to really really squint and look for it.

So guys you’re not alone. I imagine some panels are better than others, maybe different manufacturers. For what it’s worth, this iPhone 14 has fantastic viewing angles - very little colour shift off axis, whereas my 13 Mini will tint blue really fast.

In case it’s helpful to anyone, my panel serial number starts GVH.

Last edited:

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
It's also Samsung. I've never seen very good uniformity on this particular model. I haven't noticed grain issue with mine.

H57

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2019
Quality control this year is very bad. Replaced bunch of iPhones this year. 3 units had ugly red tint on the screen, 1 unit was overheating and draining the battery, 1 unit was scratched out of the box, 2 units had dust inside camera lenses. And the last one I’ve got has this stupid grainy texture on the screen. Compared my iPhone to my friend’s iPhone 12 Pro. On the 12 pro the screen is so much better. No grainy texture at all!

So freaking tired of this stupid lottery.

P.S.

Before this disaster I used iPhone 11 for 4 years. Not a single issue. No dust, perfect screen, nothing!
You should have kept the 11 for another 4 years. That what i am doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.