Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
I just keep returning the device and buying a new one. Social awkwardness be damned, I’m not paying so much money for a device that’s going to bother me. I’ve never returned them to the same person twice anyway, and I’ve gone through the process several times myself (I think I went through 4 11 Pro Maxes?).

For what it’s worth, I have never had this issue on an iPhone, but my Series 4 Apple Watch had it bad. It wasn’t enough to bother me on a watch, but I would definitely not accept it on a phone.
You might be better off switching to Samsung Galaxy’s devices there screens are Top Notch

galfy

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2024
I had two iPhone 15 Pro. I'm sure the second Pro had it. It is easier to spot if you compare the display with a display of an iPhone with LCD display. I could it see better on darker colours like red and with low adjusted brightness. Personally I think it is the Mura Effect as described there and I think many iPhones are affected but people don't notice it because they operate with higher brightness adjustments. But I never experienced the screens as "dull".
The first iPhone 15 Pro had a really aggressive angular color shift, the second less but still disappointing, so that is a problem too. The first was built November 2023, the second October 2023, the second had a LG display.

Last edited:

iPodTouch76

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
I had two iPhone 15 Pro. I'm sure the second Pro had it. It is easier to spot if you compare the display with a display of an iPhone with LCD display. I could it see better on darker colours like red and with low adjusted brightness. Personally I think it is the Mura Effect as described there and I think many iPhones are affected but people don't notice it because they operate with higher brightness adjustments. But I never experienced the screens as "dull".
The first iPhone 15 Pro had a really aggressive angular color shift, the second less but still disappointing, so that is a problem too. The first was built November 2023, the second October 2023, the second had a LG display.
I returned my iPhone 15 pro twice. The first one also had a really aggressive angular color shift, going from teal to pink, with some sectors of the screen being teal and others pink looking at it straight-on, so I exchanged it.
The second unit fixed that issue, its color shift was slightly less pronounced and went from blue to yellow-orange (much more comfortable on the eyes,) but it had an even worse issue: the Mura effect you described. It was so intense I thought it must've been a graphics driver issue or something like that, but it didn't go away after a software update. I returned it again.
The current third unit has a bit of both. It has the same teal-to-pink shift, but less intense partially due to the gradient being slanted for whatever reason. The Mura effect is still present but to a lesser degree and has a faint horizontal line pattern. When looking at a white background, the texture looks similar to the texture of Minecraft wool elongated on the x axis.
I think all units had an LG display. I got them all from the same Apple store. If anything, the first one could've been a Samsung display as I didn't notice the Mura effect/grain (maybe because I was so distracted by the intense color shift + I didn't have it for long,) but I doubt it was Samsung as I think their QC would have had higher standards to not allow such intense color shift.

It really sucks to see Apple start having quality control issues this bad. They must realize the vast majority of their consumers are people who aren't of the enthusiast-kind that notice when something isn't quite right with their device; they're folks that just wanna have an iPhone! So cutting down on QC to save money must be reasonable to them. I wish it wasn't considered overly meticulous for someone like me to demand a display that doesn't have any of these problems, at least in the eyes of Apple. It's a thousand dollar phone after all that I plan to have for many years and I think everyone here would agree with me that no one should have to deal with this in the first place.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Just an update for everyone on this thread : got a new 15 pro with a g9n screen, so Samsung, and it has grain too…really visible especially at low brightness(30%-5%) and grey colors.

Reactions: DaPhox

galfy

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2024
I returned my iPhone 15 pro twice. The first one also had a really aggressive angular color shift, going from teal to pink, with some sectors of the screen being teal and others pink looking at it straight-on, so I exchanged it.
The second unit fixed that issue, its color shift was slightly less pronounced and went from blue to yellow-orange (much more comfortable on the eyes,) but it had an even worse issue: the Mura effect you described. It was so intense I thought it must've been a graphics driver issue or something like that, but it didn't go away after a software update. I returned it again.
The current third unit has a bit of both. It has the same teal-to-pink shift, but less intense partially due to the gradient being slanted for whatever reason. The Mura effect is still present but to a lesser degree and has a faint horizontal line pattern. When looking at a white background, the texture looks similar to the texture of Minecraft wool elongated on the x axis.
I think all units had an LG display. I got them all from the same Apple store. If anything, the first one could've been a Samsung display as I didn't notice the Mura effect/grain (maybe because I was so distracted by the intense color shift + I didn't have it for long,) but I doubt it was Samsung as I think their QC would have had higher standards to not allow such intense color shift.

It really sucks to see Apple start having quality control issues this bad. They must realize the vast majority of their consumers are people who aren't of the enthusiast-kind that notice when something isn't quite right with their device; they're folks that just wanna have an iPhone! So cutting down on QC to save money must be reasonable to them. I wish it wasn't considered overly meticulous for someone like me to demand a display that doesn't have any of these problems, at least in the eyes of Apple. It's a thousand dollar phone after all that I plan to have for many years and I think everyone here would agree with me that no one should have to deal with this in the first place.
I bought now a new iPhone 12 Pro. It has also the Murra Effect or Grain or wathever it is at low brightness. But I cannot stop to think it is less pronounced!
Maybe all iPhone with OLED displays have it to some extend.
I'm also not seeing horicontal lines so I'm not sure we are seeing the same thing. The rest of the build quality seems spotless but I did not have a problem with it on the two iPhone 15 Pro either.

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Just an update for everyone on this thread : got a new 15 pro with a g9n screen, so Samsung, and it has grain too…really visible especially at low brightness(30%-5%) and grey colors.
So you have a Samsung Display with the grain? From what I have seen the Samsung displays aren't affected.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
So you have a Samsung Display with the grain? From what I have seen the Samsung displays aren't affected.
Its not as bad as the lg one I had tho…
But the G9P I had before was better uniformity-wise..unfortunately it had a dead pixel on camera 😭

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
But the G9P I had before was better uniformity-wise..unfortunately it had a dead pixel on camera 😭
My G9P has somewhat cooler white tone than G9N my other family member has and that cooler tone makes P appear more uniform while it is really not as good as N.

Is you new phone totally free from camera dead pixels? It is quite common for sensors to have "hot pixels" but usually manufacturers use different techniques to hide them. My 15PM shows some in long exposure photos but in any other.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
But it did not have any camera sensor dead pixels, is that what you meant?
it had a REALLY bright red hot pixel on the very edge
Did you get another one again after that, and how does it look?
Nah...i think im gonna stop buying iphones in general lol apple's QC been pretty bad in the past couple of years...
What panel and is camera free from any issues (dead pixels, blurry edges and such)?
It had a few small dusts and a """"big"""" one that was visible even without a bright light.

galfy

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2024
The rest of the build quality seems spotless but I did not have a problem with it on the two iPhone 15 Pro either.
I take it back insofar the 12 Pro doesn’t have the display perfectly aligned with rim.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
How do we check the manufacturer name?
You can use an application call 3UTools on a Mac which will tell you. There is also a way using the diagnostic data on the phone itself but I can’t remember how to do it.

Nicky84

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
You can use an application call 3UTools on a Mac which will tell you. There is also a way using the diagnostic data on the phone itself but I can’t remember how to do it.
Just experimented with 3uTools. While it provides ample details, unfortunately, none pertain to the display type. Despite following various "how to" guides, I haven't had any success. Some sources even suggest that Apple intentionally withholds information about their display manufacturers, which seems peculiar.

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
Just experimented with 3uTools. While it provides ample details, unfortunately, none pertain to the display type. Despite following various "how to" guides, I haven't had any success. Some sources even suggest that Apple intentionally withholds information about their display manufacturers, which seems peculiar.
Forget about additional tools, there is a way to do that without any 3rd party apps by using build in diagnose function. You should find that info even in this thread. It tells you all you want to know.

Nicky84

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
Forget about additional tools, there is a way to do that without any 3rd party apps by using build in diagnose function. You should find uthat info even in this thread. It tells you all you want to know.
Thanks for the heads up! Thank you! I literally went through the entire thread twice in search of this and never came across it. So, it turns out mine is a Samsung one. However, the display seems a bit lacking in resolution to me. It's difficult to determine if it's exactly "grainy," but on brighter colors, it appears as if the pixels aren't perfectly aligned, similar to viewing 1920/1080 on a 27” monitor. On another note, I've installed a privacy protective film. Could that be the reason? I'm hesitant to remove it because in the past, once removed, dust and debris tend to accumulate, eventually leading me to discard it.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
So I have this issue on my 15 pro but not on my 14 pro. My niece has this issue on her standard 14, but my sister doesn’t have it on her 14 pro. From what I’ve read online this can happen with OLED displays and it’s within tolerances.

It bugged me at first but if I turn the brightness above 50% it’s barely noticeable. It’s the luck of the draw situation with the screens I guess.

iPodTouch76

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024

UPDATE: I checked the panel number it is G9P... so Samsung. Which surprised me as everyone says Samsungs don't have these issues. Also What's the difference between G9P and G9N? If they're both made from Samsung why a different model number?

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
UPDATE: I checked the panel number it is G9P... so Samsung. Which surprised me as everyone says Samsungs don't have these issues.
That's likely because most people in this thread have G9N.

From your description of your previous units, I would not be surprised if they all were G9P's.

Mine is also P but no grain or mura issue but it has some of this slanted gradient color shift from straight angle especially on the upper right corner but generally there is some difference between left and right side (no issues with angular color shift). All these issues are pronounced with both TT and NS on in indoors lighting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.