Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gameboi301123

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
finally got another 15 pro and i have the same "issue" too. it's like grain/grey dots on the screen and its only visible if you look at it really closely. i also noticed that only lg screens are affected by this problem.
Are you thinking of exchanging or returning? I am unsure whether i should even bother taking it to the apple store since there is no guarantee that a phone or screen replacement will resolve it

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Are you planning to return or exchange?
I did an express replacement and got another LG screen with the same issues. Just purchased a launch day 14 pro because Samsung was the exclusive display provider at launch of the 14 pro so I’m hoping that display looks better.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Are you thinking of exchanging or returning? I am unsure whether i should even bother taking it to the apple store since there is no guarantee that a phone or screen replacement will resolve it
Returned mine last week because I didn’t like natural titanium lol screen was ok but my sisters 14 pro max with g9n screen is still muuuuuuch better….no grain whatsoever.

mc-io

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2021
I noticed the same thing on my iPhone 15 Pro. Most noticeable at low-medium brightness on white screens. Came from a 14 Pro and comparing them side by side, the 14 Pro is crystal clear.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Bought another pro today and the screen is a gvc lg but no grain whatsoever. Only problem is it had a dead pixel so needless to say I returned and exchanged it…opened the replacement phone at the Apple store and unfortunately the screen was already scratched out of the box :/ I guess apples qc this year just sucks.

d1mitar

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2023
i’m experiencing the same “issue”. i was wondering if the display is defective or of it is natural for oled displays to look like this up close?

Reactions: Lizziecoopee

Lizziecoopee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
Hi everyone, I just got my 2nd iPhone 15 Pro which has the same "issue" as the first one. At this point I don't know if I'm being picky, but has anyone noticed an effect like "film grain" on the display of the 15 Pro? It's like having a matte screen protector installed all the time... let me know, thanks!
I have just received my iphone 15 pro on 1/3/24 and have the exact same problem. My friend he has the same phone but no issues. I am getting a replacement sent to me by AT&T but worried the same issue will occur. Did you end up receiving a replacement without the grainy issue?

koalath

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
Ditto on this issue. I got my 15 Pro yesterday, and there's a faint 'grain like' pattern on the screen, most noticeable at ~70% or lower brightness. It stays in place as I scroll, and text looks noticeably less crisp compared to my 14 Pro, which has perfectly flat/untextured solid colours and no noticeable 'grain'.

I know I can take it back to the Apple Store for a swap within 14 days, but;
  1. I hate the experience of trying to convey an issue to a store employee who inevitably won't be able to notice it, and
  2. In the past, with similar things, I've had to go through multiple swaps before randomly hitting a non-affected unit. I find this hugely socially awkward to do, especially because of #1 above.
Very keen to know how y'all handle this. On the assumption that some 15 Pro units don't have this issue (based on replies in this thread), I will take mine back to a store –– possibly a different store, hoping it's a different batch etc. No idea if that's a sane strategy, but feels worth a shot.

(I've just spent the last two hours throwing keywords into Google trying to find anyone else online noticing this, and finally used the right keyword-incantation and stumbled on this thread. Thank you all so far – it's always reassuring to not be the only one!)

Last edited:

Lizziecoopee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
I took mine to the Genius Bar and they did a display diagnostic and he looked at it and said he didn’t see it. I took it to my friend who had the same phone as I did he played around with the brightness and compared it to his phone and immediately saw the grain and dullness of color. I don’t know what to do if this issue occurs with my replacement. How many times can you replace the phone? I am under AT&T and have a 30 day return policy but I don’t know how often I can return the phone until there is no grain.

Lizziecoopee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
Ditto on this issue. I got my 15 Pro yesterday, and there's a faint 'grain like' pattern on the screen, most noticeable at ~70% or lower brightness. It stays in place as I scroll, and text looks noticeably less crisp compared to my 14 Pro, which has perfectly flat/untextured solid colours and no noticeable 'grain'.

1. I hate the experience of trying to convey an issue to a store employee who inevitably won't be able to notice, and
  2. In the past, with similar things, I've had to go through multiple swaps before randomly hitting a non-affected unit. I find this hugely socially awkward to do, especially because of #1 above.
Very keen to know how y'all handle this. On the assumption that some 15 Pro units don't have this issue (based on replies in this thread), I will take mine back to a store –– possibly a different store, hoping it's a different batch etc. No idea if that's a sane strategy, but feels worth a shot.

(I've just spent the last two hours throwing keywords into Google trying to find anyone else online noticing this, and finally used the right keyword-incantation and stumbled on this thread. Thanks you all so far – it's always reassuring to not be the only one!)
I took mine to the Genius Bar and they did a display diagnostic and he looked at it and said he didn’t see it. I took it to my friend who had the same phone as I did he played around with the brightness and compared it to his phone and immediately saw the grain and dullness of color. I don’t know what to do if this issue occurs with my replacement. How many times can you replace the phone? I am under AT&T and have a 30 day return policy but I don’t know how often I can return the phone until there is no grain.

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014

1. I hate the experience of trying to convey an issue to a store employee who inevitably won't be able to notice it, and

(I've just spent the last two hours throwing keywords into Google trying to find anyone else online noticing this, and finally used the right keyword-incantation and stumbled on this thread. Thank you all so far – it's always reassuring to not be the only one!)
You’re phone has a display manufactured by LG which is why you can see the grain.

I have the same issue and I have tried 4 swaps to get a Samsung display with no luck. I’m not sure why but it seems that Apple is exclusively asking LG in the 15 pros now so it’s up to you if it’s worth playing the exchange game.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
You’re phone has a display manufactured by LG which is why you can see the grain.

I have the same issue and I have tried 4 swaps to get a Samsung display with no luck. I’m not sure why but it seems that Apple is exclusively asking LG in the 15 pros now so it’s up to you if it’s worth playing the exchange game.
How can you check which display manufacturer is your screen?
BTW, none of the other 15 Pros I’ve seen in multiple stores has this issue. I’ll try to get my screen (just the screen) replaced under AppleCare and try to be lucky, but the issue is bothering me a bit more every day.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
That's an accurate description of the issue! Glad to see that many people are noticing this issue and I’m not mad 🤣

• Love
Reactions: koalath

Lizziecoopee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
Has anyone had a replacement of their iPhone 15 pro and had a successful exchange without a grainy display??

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Has anyone had a replacement of their iPhone 15 pro and had a successful exchange without a grainy display??
I had a 15 pro with LG screen without a grainy screen but had a dead pixel :/ needless to say I returned it hahaha
It was a white 15 pro if that matters.

Lizziecoopee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
I had a 15 pro with LG screen without a grainy screen but had a dead pixel :/ needless to say I returned it hahaha
It was a white 15 pro if that matters.
I have the white 15 pro as well and I get the replacement tomorrow and am worried I’m gonna have to return it once more and I might just get the 14 pro because that’s the phone I had and no issues

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
I am trying to get an idea as to what it looks like, is it lines making this grain look and is it moving on the screen?

This user described it very well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.