Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoldenPRGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
WRONG. Take a look at the second pic I posted above. (The angle is particularly difficult to replicate) Unless this guys is a pro @ PS, there are always traces of the edit.

----------

You think he added in the entire area with the volume keys on the right side?

I don't think so.

Edit: People also said the 5 on the A5 processor was PS'd because it was crooked. They were wrong.

Ok dude, you're killing me. This is a rendering. Also seen here for a different phone on their site. http://www.otterbox.com/commuter-series-cases/commuter-series-cases,default,sc.html

No one is moving the keys to the other side of the iPhone. The box you show the back of says nothing about the 4S on it. You can keep this charade up as long as you want. This is complete garbage!

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
To be an idiot and get everyone mad:

maybe the hole is bigger because there will be 2 cameras for 3d

hahahahaha!:D

ZOMG, I immediately thought of troll dad, you sounded just like him lol

troll-troll-dad-dance-jump-l.png

Last edited:

stickyd8

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
It's not looking for a redesign.....Ill still get the redesigned phone with spec bump. Along with iOS 5 should be a decent upgrade.

Not even close to a decent upgrade for a 16 month cycle. Why in the world would it take 16 months to roll out an iPhone 4 with an A5 chip that has been available since March, an 8mp camera, and better battery? It just doesn't make any sense. I hope the two-phone rumor is true, otherwise, I will be leaving Apple for Android. I'm not waiting until next summer for phone with a bigger screen and vastly improved specs.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
And what about the alleged iPhone 5 case picture leaked a few days ago? Granted, they weren't physical cases, but renditions posted on the manufacturer's website... but still. I think it's silly to say just because there are "new cases" for one model (the 4S), to assume there won't be any of the other (the 5). I'm all for speculation, and I'm excited myself, but I've never seen thoughts sway so quickly and so greatly. Please, let's just see what Apple says in the coming weeks.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's not just for the new iPhone

It's for the current iPhone 4 as well. The larger camera hole is to reduce light reflecting off of the edges of the hole into the lens. Light can reflect off the case from the flash or from strong side-lighting (sun off to the side or above) into the lens, and lens glare can be a big problem for tiny lenses that can't be recessed behind any non-reflective glare shield or hood. A bigger hole puts the edge farther from the lens, and farther from the flash as well.

Lens glare is really bad for picture contrast (unless you are doing it for effect). Some photographers take their camera out of the case and/or block side light with their hand for best results.

aValerio

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Just to say #2

Also on the box of existing iPhone 4 Otterbox cases, volume bottons are in the right side of the device...

Don't be silly... :)

Attachments

• otterbox-iphone4-defender-case-box-back.jpeg
    otterbox-iphone4-defender-case-box-back.jpeg
    708.5 KB · Views: 225

-VoiceOfReason-

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
On the back of the box, point #3 claims "port and button covers". But why is there not a cut out on the bottom of the case, for the docking port? If it's for the SIM slot, the volume buttons would still be on the wrong side. Why would they make a cut out for the SIM slot and not the dock port? Did they relocate the dock port to the side? Maybe the 4S has buttons dedicated to camera functions?

RichBoi99

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Florida-904
:apple:Im glad a new remodel iPhone isnt coming out, I love my iPhone 4, if its not broke dont fix it, well majorly, cant wait for the real deal LTE 2012 iPhone, by that time i'll be ready for the next iPhone.:apple:

lshin037

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
It's for the current iPhone 4 as well. The larger camera hole is to reduce light reflecting off of the edges of the hole into the lens. Light can reflect off the case from the flash or from strong side-lighting (sun off to the side or above) into the lens, and lens glare can be a big problem for tiny lenses that can't be recessed behind any glare shield or hood. Lens glare is really bad for picture contrast.

Some photographers take their camera out of the case and/or block side light with their hand for best results.

This. I have the same exact spec case but in black. Whenever I take a pic with flash, the result is a picture has a smoke effect on it (due to the flash reflecting off the edges of the hole.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Naming it does not make it more powerful, faster

Why are people so uptight about iPhone's naming scheme. Apple can call it whatever they want (iPhone 4S, iP5, iPhone XP), but you know what, it will still be THE 5th Generation iPhone model.

Heck, it wouldn't even matter if the phone had 8MP, A5 cpu, amoled screen, 4" screen, slimmer design, just because its called iPhone 4S, now it sucks?

Did people complain when 3GS was released instead of iPhone 4?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
You all need to stop thinking iPhone 5 is coming in October. It'll follow the pattern of previous years. Being, 3G, 3GS, 4G and now 4GS. Makes complete sense. There never was going to be a redesigned iPhone 5 and there's absolutely no proof that points towards it. Just rumour sites like this with people thinking what they want to think then making it fact.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
To me, this holds just as much weight as those iPhone 5 case leaks. I will no longer let any of this bother me. No point in speculating any more. I'm just gonna wait.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Ok dude, you're killing me. This is a rendering. Also seen here for a different phone on their site. http://www.otterbox.com/commuter-series-cases/commuter-series-cases,default,sc.html

No one is moving the keys to the other side of the iPhone. The box you show the back of says nothing about the 4S on it. You can keep this charade up as long as you want. This is complete garbage!

What charade? I'm not putting on any charade. :confused:

Anyway, while I don't see any reason to believe the S has been PS'd, I will admit that the rendering of the case on the box could be incorrect as it seems other boxes show volume cut-outs on the wrong side as well. Perhaps they are not so picky as to rendering matching the model of phone inside the box.

But Chronic has not been known in the past to PS photos just to fake a story. In fact, all he does is tweet the pics. No website to generate traffic for. So I have no reason to doubt his posts.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I think Apple would alert the people if there wasn't going to be a i5 so people wouldn't be pissed at the announcement.

They did a similar thing at the WWDC this summer and said it focused on software only so all the hardware people wouldn't get mad.

I believe they would have done some type of damage control if there wasn't going to be an i5.

Last edited:

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
You all need to stop thinking iPhone 5 is coming in October. It'll follow the pattern of previous years. Being, 3G, 3GS, 4G and now 4GS. Makes complete sense. There never was going to be a redesigned iPhone 5 and there's absolutely no proof that points towards it. Just rumour sites like this with people thinking what they want to think then making it fact.

Hmmm...I don't recall a 4G.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
As long as it's got a larger screen I'm happy

At first I was in the "if there's no iPhone 5, I'll cry" crew, but the truth is, I don't care what it's called. If there is a bigger screen and it's a 4S, I'll be happy. If it's a redesign and called iPhone 5 (bigger screen or not), I'll be happy. If it's a 4S and it has no bigger screen, I'll be pissed.

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
People keep talking about a larger iPhone screen. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong... but wouldn't a larger iPhone screen mean that Apple would have to get rid of the "retina" display? I'm assuming to keep it "retina" while increasing the size of the screen would mean to maintain its 326 dots per inch, which would increase the 960x640 resolution... which seems very unlikely to me. I mean I'm sure keeping the same resolution + dropping the dpi slightly to make up for the new screen size would probably look fine, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be as crisp and clear as it's 3.5" counterpart. Would it even be noticeable?

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
People keep talking about a larger iPhone screen. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong... but wouldn't a larger iPhone screen mean that Apple would have to get rid of the "retina" display? I'm assuming to keep it "retina" while increasing the size of the screen would mean to maintain its 326 dots per inch, which would increase the 960x640 resolution... which seems very unlikely to me. I mean I'm sure keeping the same resolution + dropping the dpi slightly to make up for the new screen size would probably look fine, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be as crisp and clear as it's 3.5" counterpart. Would it even be noticeable?

How are you a "regular" here, and you haven't read thousands of posts about this issue already?

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Why are people so uptight about iPhone's naming scheme. Apple can call it whatever they want (iPhone 4S, iP5, iPhone XP), but you know what, it will still be THE 5th Generation iPhone model.

Heck, it wouldn't even matter if the phone had 8MP, A5 cpu, amoled screen, 4" screen, slimmer design, just because its called iPhone 4S, now it sucks?

Did people complain when 3GS was released instead of iPhone 4?

Absolutely...though they have complained for every release with the exception of the first iphone.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I find the 3,000,000 number hard to believe. OtterBox cases are rather bulky and I rarely see them on iPhones in the wild.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
In almost feel like I would be embarrassed to have a 4S phone at this point. Maybe if it was back in June, but even then it just seems like such a limp biscuit. I only hope this is either subterfuge on Apple's part or very good security on leaks, but I fear that we will be disappointed regardless.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Retina isn't a technical term anyway.

If the iPhone went to a 3.7" or 4" screen.... its 960x640 resolution screen would still look amazing.

Isn't the 4.3" Galaxy S II still using a 800x480 screen? Now that's lunacy...

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
There are 2 reports dating back in February that state that the iPhone 4S will have an entirely different look than the current iPhone 4.

there is a possibility that Apple will launch 3 new phones.

- iPhone 4S (bumped up specs of current iPhone 4)
- iPhone nano (to be 1/3 the size of iP4, and sold for $200, no contract required)
- iPhone 5 (impossibly light, edge to edge screen, tapered edges, larger screen)

Bloomberg
Apple has considered selling the new iPhone for about $200, without obligating users to sign a two-year service contract, said the person who has seen it... While Apple has aimed to unveil the device near mid-year, the introduction may be delayed or scrapped, the person said. The prototype was about one-third smaller than the iPhone 4, and it had no “home” button, said the person, who saw it last year. Apple would sell it at a low price mainly because the smartphone will use a processor, display and other components similar to those used in the current model, rather than pricier, more advanced parts that will be in the next iPhone, the person said.

Wall Street Journal, (the source that broke news of the announcement date of October 4, 2011)
One of the people, who saw a prototype of the phone late last year, said it is intended for sale alongside Apple's existing line. The new device would be about half the size of the iPhone 4, which is the current model.The new phone—one of its code names is N97—would be available to carriers at about half the price of the main iPhones.

on the iPhone 5
The person who saw the prototype of the new iPhone said the device was significantly lighter than the iPhone 4 and had an edge-to-edge screen that could be manipulated by touch, as well as a virtual keyboard and voice-based navigation. The person said Apple, based in Cupertino, Calif., also plans to upgrade the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.