Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa
There are 2 reports dating back in February that state that the iPhone 4S will have an entirely different look than the current iPhone 4.

there is a possibility that Apple will launch 3 new phones.

- iPhone 4S (bumped up specs of current iPhone 4)
- iPhone nano (to be 1/3 the size of iP4, and sold for $200, no contract required)
- iPhone 5 (impossibly light, edge to edge screen, tapered edges, larger screen)

Bloomberg

Wall Street Journal, (the source that broke news of the announcement date of October 4, 2011)

on the iPhone 5

How about u post this in a few more threads..............

Sparty23

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
I for one hope that even if there isn't a major redesign, that the battery lasts longer than any phone out there. I'm in love with the current design so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't an upgrade, but I just want_a_reliable_battery.

I'm in line to get a new phone, but of course I'm one of the millions out there that are waiting for the new iPhone. One tiny little thing I ask for is that the :apple: logo on the back of the phone lights up :p. I think that would be really neat.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Can somebody clarify what the hell is going on here?

It looks like references to BGRs fail have been deleted.

How does that relate to the picture of the 4s otterbox packaging?
Where were the photos of the 4s box taken? And why the heck didn't they take a picture of a case too?

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Chronic took the pics of the 4S Otterbox. He tweeted yesterday about coming home from the Apple store with a big leak so I'm assuming he got the box from there.

Others have said he has a Foxconn contact.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
at first i was in the "if there's no iphone 5, i'll cry" crew, but the truth is, i don't care what it's called. If there is a bigger screen and it's a 4s, i'll be happy. If it's a redesign and called iphone 5 (bigger screen or not), i'll be happy. If it's a 4s and it has no bigger screen, i'll be pissed.

bigger screen iz the deal maker for me..:)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
won't people see a iPhone 4S as the first failure of Tim Cook? i can already see the bashing magazine headlines "apple on the downfall?" etc

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I think this is correct as an 4S, because they will be waiting to implement the lte or 4g into the Iphone 5.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Chronic took the pics of the 4S Otterbox. He tweeted yesterday about coming home from the Apple store with a big leak so I'm assuming he got the box from there.

Others have said he has a Foxconn contact.
Is he deleting his tweets? Or does he have some other name he uses? I can't find anything about him at a store.

Why would a store have an empty box? That makes no sense. It also makes no sense that stores would have cases this early.

I'd guess he has a source at otter box. He did quote production numbers for the cases.

Or it's all a bunch of crap. :)

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Not even close to a decent upgrade for a 16 month cycle. Why in the world would it take 16 months to roll out an iPhone 4 with an A5 chip that has been available since March, an 8mp camera, and better battery? It just doesn't make any sense. I hope the two-phone rumor is true, otherwise, I will be leaving Apple for Android. I'm not waiting until next summer for phone with a bigger screen and vastly improved specs.

Wow, impatient much?

It's not like an iPhone breaks down after a year or two. It's not a Ford Pinto.

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
I am thorough with this iPhone 4S...iPhone5.....iPhone 4s......iPhone 5.......iPhone4S......Ohh Wait!! iPhone 5........iPhone 4S.......CRAP!!

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I find the 3,000,000 number hard to believe. OtterBox cases are rather bulky and I rarely see them on iPhones in the wild.

Where do you live? I see them EVERYWHERE in Philadelphia. The Otterbox seems to be the case to have if you're a commuter on the suburban trains into the city.

brodas

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Why would a company as large as Otterbox make something based on rumors?

Exactly otter box knowns what's coming and probably apple is telling this companies to leak this cases so when iPhone 5 comes out it will be a huge surprise

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I literally could care less if there's a 4S or a 5... either way, it's a new iPhone and I need an upgrade from my original Droid X regardless. If it's faster than the 4, has a better camera, and more storage, I'll be happy. As long as it's able to handle all the OS updates for the next 2 years, it'll be all I need. A full blown redesign would be great too, but nobody had problems when we got a 3GS instead of the 4 after the 3G... the 3GS was an amazing upgrade to the 3G in my opinion. If there is a 4S, and it is an evolutionary upgrade in the way that the 3GS was to the 3G, I'll be more than pleased.

CodeCowboy

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
The texture of the yellow cardboard/paper behind the "4S" does appear to be different than the rest, almost like a smoothing tool or eraser tool was used on it.

If you look at the lower right hand corner of the 4S on there... the yellow corner pokes out into the texture pattern. Something I couldn't find duplicated on the whole rest of the image. Seems to me to be a Photoshop job, not even smoothed or anything, just color matched well. Going to see if I can reproduce the effect myself and find out

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
When it costs 25 cents to make something that sells for $20-30 they can afford to take the risk.

And we don't even know if a case actually exists. It is just a picture of a box at this point. No pictures of any actual case.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
There are 2 reports dating back in February that state that the iPhone 4S will have an entirely different look than the current iPhone 4.

there is a possibility that Apple will launch 3 new phones.

- iPhone 4S (bumped up specs of current iPhone 4)
- iPhone nano (to be 1/3 the size of iP4, and sold for $200, no contract required)
- iPhone 5 (impossibly light, edge to edge screen, tapered edges, larger screen)

Bloomberg

Wall Street Journal, (the source that broke news of the announcement date of October 4, 2011)

on the iPhone 5

Well, that just about does it.... Apple has confused the hell out of everyone. Tech media, regular media, analysts, users, enthusiasts, and probably many of their own employees. Well played Tim Cook (er, Steve Jobs maybe?), well played.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Is he deleting his tweets? Or does he have some other name he uses? I can't find anything about him at a store.

Why would a store have an empty box? That makes no sense. It also makes no sense that stores would have cases this early.

I'd guess he has a source at otter box. He did quote production numbers for the cases.

Or it's all a bunch of crap. :)

He has @Chronic and @Chronicwire.

Edit:
chronic chronic
well then. that trip to the Apple store was more interesting than expected.

He's saying no iPhone 5....I hope he's wrong. However, if the iPhone 4S is enough of an upgrade performance-wise, I'll get it anyway.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
iPhone 4S? Nah...

My prediction, they're not going to just add S for Speed. They'll likely add G, as in, LTE sporting iPhone 4G. BAM! Nearly 50% of the nation has 4G under Verizon, don't leave them hanging Apple!

If only unicorns and leprechauns existed...

920R

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Boston
Long time reader, first time posting

I've read every thread that contains any bit of info on the next iPhone. I'd like to replace my 3s asap. It has become a slug on the latest iOS's and every time I use the camera I get random freezes and app crashes.

The truth is guys, I haven't slept in 78 days waiting for this announcement. I can't eat or go outside. I am having trouble coping with reality and I feel like I am vibrating right now. My question is....Can I get some more cowbell?

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I'm going to cry if there's no iPhone 5 this year. In fact, I'm going to cry at Tim Cook's door. :(

I no cry. I just stay iPhone4.

If Tim has first big release as CEO be rehash of 1.5 year old phone, it will look bad. So I think this will not happen.

Unless Steve Job want to make Cook look bad so Jobs look like the greatest. That seem possible because of Jobs giant ego.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.