Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
By now people should know it doesn't matter if there is an iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5 people will still wait in line by the thousands for one the first day it comes out.

In fact Apple would be smart to hold the new design and 4G LTE chips back until next year. They know people will get in line and they will sell millions of even a slighly refreshed product and then next year everyone will get in line again for an iPhone 5.

I don't know what they will do, but when you have a product that sells on name only then you use that name for all it's worth if you want to keep making mega bucks.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I no cry. I just stay iPhone4.

If Tim has first big release as CEO be rehash of 1.5 year old phone, it will look bad. So I think this will not happen.

Unless Steve Job want to make Cook look bad so Jobs look like the greatest. That seem possible because of Jobs giant ego.

Excellent. I agree. :D

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
I no cry. I just stay iPhone4.

If Tim has first big release as CEO be rehash of 1.5 year old phone, it will look bad. So I think this will not happen.

Unless Steve Job want to make Cook look bad so Jobs look like the greatest. That seem possible because of Jobs giant ego.

So let me see here...back a few months ago when they decided Steve was too sick to go on and Tim would take over...and hypothetically a 4S was the only thing in the channel for 2011, they suddenly change gears and develop an entirely new phone just for Tim to look good?

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. I keep seeing this argument and I don't understand where people come up with an idea like this. Totally illogical.

The phone that will be announced soon has been in the plans for many months, even years. They did not change up the plan just becuase of a CEO change. If any plans changed, it was because of some issue with supply or design.

ardy8888

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
dock on the side???

Am I the only one that sees the dock port on the right side of that case just below the volume buttons? The description is hard to read but I make out "3 Port and button covers" That would be insane if it were real!

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
So let me see here...back a few months ago when they decided Steve was too sick to go on and Tim would take over...and hypothetically a 4S was the only thing in the channel for 2011, they suddenly change gears and develop an entirely new phone just for Tim to look good?

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. I keep seeing this argument and I don't understand where people come up with an idea like this. Totally illogical.

The phone that will be announced soon has been in the plans for many months, even years. They did not change up the plan just becuase of a CEO change. If any plans changed, it was because of some issue with supply or design.

Is simple logic. Let me explain for a child. Hope is helpful for you.

Early in year Jobs starts plans for succession. iPhone5 and iOS delayed so both are major step forward. Jobs hands CEO to Tim shortly before major launch with major upgrade. Stock doesn't fall. Stock rises.

Very simple. Funny you have trouble with it. lol :rolleyes:

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010

Early in year Jobs starts plans for succession. iPhone5 and iOS delayed so both are major step forward. Jobs hands CEO to Tim shortly before major launch with major upgrade. Stock doesn't fall. Stock rises.

But I think succession planning started long ago. No way the board would not take action earlier - especially given Jobs' health.

That being said, you bet your ass they want this to go well. The first major launch without Jobs at the helm? Yeah, it's big.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Apple is too smart to make the upgrade a failure. Whatever they have to do to stay on top and continue innovating, they will do. So, if there is only a spec bump, in their eyes, it is all they need to stay on top. But I doubt it. I have a feeling this upgrade will at least be a very good one. I see this being equal in proportion from iPad 1 -> iPad 2. It will be awesome, but not so awesome you will pee your pants during the Keynote.

It will be awesome because the iPhone 4 is already awesome. Just add an A5 and increase the memory to 1GB, tweak the antennas to improve connection with both wifi and cell and then we are done. A slight camera improvement would be cherry on top. But a phone like that would still be the best smartphone out there.

Doc Evils

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Apple can't afford to do another 3GS. The iPhone is no longer new and Android has come and past it in many areas.

If Apple doesn't release an iPhone 5, they will be lagging behind. Probably for the first time in a decade in something they were leading.:(

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
But I think succession planning started long ago. No way the board would not take action earlier - especially given Jobs' health.

That being said, you bet your ass they want this to go well. The first major launch without Jobs at the helm? Yeah, it's big.

Yes, exactly. I am glad to see someone write a smart post once in while. Will not release boring product after CEO transition. Not Apple. :apple:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
My prediction, they're not going to just add S for Speed. They'll likely add G, as in, LTE sporting iPhone 4G. BAM! Nearly 50% of the nation has 4G under Verizon, don't leave them hanging Apple!

If only unicorns and leprechauns existed...

4G = 3 hours of battery life. I'll pass.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Where do you live? I see them EVERYWHERE in Philadelphia. The Otterbox seems to be the case to have if you're a commuter on the suburban trains into the city.

I live in LA. With those numbers, they're basically saying they expect anywhere from every 1/10 to 1/3 iphone 4s holders to buy their case. I don't think that makes sense, the other dots that don't connect notwithstanding.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This isn't news, but in iOS 5 the volume up button is remapped for taking pictures in the camera app.

For that one reason alone, I don't believe this image is legitimate or has any credibility what so ever.

ped

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
Apple is too smart to make the upgrade a failure. Whatever they have to do to stay on top and continue innovating, they will do. So, if there is only a spec bump, in their eyes, it is all they need to stay on top. But I doubt it. I have a feeling this upgrade will at least be a very good one. I see this being equal in proportion from iPad 1 -> iPad 2. It will be awesome, but not so awesome you will pee your pants during the Keynote.

They'd better realize they'll do nothing but continue to fall behind to Samsung if they don't make some dramatic moves fast. Samsung and their OLED-screen phones are rapidly catching up to Apple.

Ziger Woods

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Iphone

I for one hope that even if there isn't a major redesign, that the battery lasts longer than any phone out there. I'm in love with the current design so I wouldn't be too disappointed if there wasn't an upgrade, but I just want_a_reliable_battery.

I'm in line to get a new phone, but of course I'm one of the millions out there that are waiting for the new iPhone. One tiny little thing I ask for is that the :apple: logo on the back of the phone lights up :p. I think that would be really neat.

If u want a longer lasting battery, a lit up apple logo will add more drain to the battery! It would be cool tho!!!

fenwah

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
I have an iPhone 3GS...and I didn't wait this long to upgrade to a POS 4S. I want the 5...and I want it now. Mr. Cook will have tomatoes thrown at him on stage if he doesn't deliver.

Plus, I've owned AAPL stock for six years and I don't want to see the stock price plummet when they only have the 4S.

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
By now people should know it doesn't matter if there is an iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5 people will still wait in line by the thousands for one the first day it comes out.

In fact Apple would be smart to hold the new design and 4G LTE chips back until next year. They know people will get in line and they will sell millions of even a slighly refreshed product and then next year everyone will get in line again for an iPhone 5.

I don't know what they will do, but when you have a product that sells on name only then you use that name for all it's worth if you want to keep making mega bucks.
Yup, get a big name and then stop innovating so quickly. It's been working out well for RIM.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010

Wow, that was nice........and extremely rude of you.

While that is possible, I doubt that's how it went down.

Let's look at another scenario you completely ignored. What if the iPhone 5 never existed? What are you going to do with your new CEO now?

Last edited:

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
iPhone 5 will be released. It will be the most sold phone in the history of the universe. Apple stock will soar past $500.00 a share. Enuf said.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This isn't news, but in iOS 5 the volume up button is remapped for taking pictures in the camera app.

For that one reason alone, I don't believe this image is legitimate or has any credibility what so ever.

How does that story negate this image?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Whether it's an iPhone 4s or 5 I will be getting it. Of course I'd much rather it be an iPhone 5. What worries me is that they might release the iPhone 4s now and the 5 in june.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just love all the people threatening, bitching, and moaning in this thread. "If Apple just puts out an iPhone 4S, I'm gonna go buy...", "Apple has to put out X or they're gonna fall behind...", "thus is just FUD...", etc.

Apple doesn't optimize their hardware, this costs too much and erodes profits. They optimize their software. It's free. They squeeze performance out of old, cheap components. Hell, Apple can squeeze water out of a dry sponge. They didn't get $76 billion of cash in the bank by pleasing all the sheep.

I may not be able to predict the next iPhone, but I can predict with much accuracy that all the people threatening and bitching in this thread will be some of the very first in line (or on the phone) for this "disappointing" iPhone 4S. Now that's truly "magical".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.