Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TannerH

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
On every iPhone 5 I've held, this has been apparent. When you tap the back hard, you can feel something in there.

I've held 7. Mine, my replacement, my mother's, and 4 at the Apple store - looking for scuffgate similar to the one that was on mine.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
On every iPhone 5 I've held, this has been apparent. When you tap the back hard, you can feel something in there.

I've held 7. Mine, my replacement, my mother's, and 4 at the Apple store - looking for scuffgate similar to the one that was on mine.

What about if you just tap them lightly? That's what I'm tryin to figure out....

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
booked an genius bar appointment, tbh im in uk and i bought it from a carrier (not sim free at an apple store) so they wont be able to replace it till next week, or its dependent on wether my local apple store has them back in stock.

but everything works, and no scratches so I question if its worth replacing it ?! as some have stated this as normal, some have said it shouldnt, and also alot of different answers as to what it could be ..

mine is defo not the battery tho, that seems alot more serious and my phone works fine.

ill see what the genius bar say just to make sure.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
booked an genius bar appointment, tbh im in uk and i bought it from a carrier (not sim free at an apple store) so they wont be able to replace it till next week, or its dependent on wether my local apple store has them back in stock.

but everything works, and no scratches so I question if its worth replacing it ?! as some have stated this as normal, some have said it shouldnt, and also alot of different answers as to what it could be ..

mine is defo not the battery tho, that seems alot more serious and my phone works fine.

ill see what the genius bar say just to make sure.

Hey! Come back and update us as I'm curious what you hear from them.

Here's some more fodder for our topic at hand. I found this post interesting:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15861333/

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I was just gonna post about this since my iPhone 4 had the same issue. In my case it is the lock button that is much more loose than the volumet buttons. If I hold down the lock button the noise goes away.

AMDENCO

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2010
this has been an issue sine the 4s.. like everyone has been saying it is the autot focus mechanism.... not an issue.
go into apple store and test the other iphone 5's i bet they all do it.

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
this has been an issue sine the 4s.. like everyone has been saying it is the autot focus mechanism.... not an issue.
go into apple store and test the other iphone 5's i bet they all do it.

isnt the only moving part the vibration motor ?

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I tried shaking my phone and I don't hear a rattle. If I tap it near the camera, then there might be a different sound than tapping it elsewhere but it doesn't sound like a rattle to me.

Mojojo

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Just back from the local Apple Store. Indeed my phone had a loose battery however they did not have the means to repair instore so I now have a new iPhone 5.

zubins

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
my brothers shutter just stopped working. Im sure it had something to do with this rattle

just follow up here: I made an appointment for the genis bar, showed himn the rattle and with eyes wide he told me "this isnt normal, ill BRB"

gave me abrand new 16gb black.

Same ****. :mad:

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
just follow up here: I made an appointment for the genis bar, showed himn the rattle and with eyes wide he told me "this isnt normal, ill BRB"

gave me abrand new 16gb black.

Same ****. :mad:

what did it sound like inside ?

was there any problems with the phone its self ?

zubins

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
what did it sound like inside ?

was there any problems with the phone its self ?

the sound would be prominent if you shook the phone to and from your ear ripidly. But even more mundane things like placing the phone on a surface youd hear a click noise; as if something was loose

the replacement you got 'rattles' too?

yes, the replacement rattles but not as much as the original. Its not the buttons, its the camera lens that makes these issues.

Be warned: my brother had this issue and his camera froze and never started back up. Apple replaced it

FWIW, My buddy who is an apple aficianado says its completely normal and has happened to him on the 4 and 4s models

Eeko

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Mine does slightly rattle. The rest of my phone has been perfect. I'm going to try to ignore this.
:(

reRESERVEDMD

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Yea but how bad are they? That's the real question

It's never terrible but it does feel a bit like a cheap Chinese toy... Unfortunately, there are bigger issues to worry about with the new iP 5 like bunch of scuffs, burr marks etc right out of the box...

I hate when people say "it's a phone, deal with it", or "aluminum scratches". Yes, and yes, BUT when you pay the amount of money you pay for a NEW product, you expect it to be in a NEW condition. If I wanted a scratched up iPhone, I would've bought it used or get a refurb...

Sorry for the rant and going a bit off topic, but just my 2 cents.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
got mine swapped at the apple store today, no fuss. i started a thead about this also, but mine was bad, ended up being the screen not seated properly

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Anyone have a slight rattle?

Anyone have a slight rattle in there phone? I'm sure this has been asked many times sorry for a new thread.

Is it possible its the camera lens? Does it have a camera lens?

If thats that problem does yours make a slight noise when you jostle or shake it?

stevo505

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Anyone have a slight rattle in there phone? I'm sure this has been asked many times sorry for a new thread.

If thats that problem does yours make a slight noise when you jostle or shake it?

Mine makes this noise when I set it down or tap it. I think it might be the auto focus in the camera, since it seems to only happen when I tap near the top of the phone. It happened on my iPhone 4 though too, so I don't think it's really much of a problem.

FzNk

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012

The volume buttons make the slightest rattle when I shake the phone and hold my ear close to it.

Solution: don't do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.