Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I have a slight rattling sound as well and it appears to be coming from the power button up top. Since its kind of loose I'm thinking thats the source of the rattling well for me that is.

Zeusus

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I checked with as many other iPhone 5s as I could. They all have a slight "jingle" or rattle from the lens side of the chassis, some are "SLIGHTLY" more pronounced than others. I am pretty sure this is normal. Even the 4s has a rattle when shaken. In fact, my Macbook and iPad also have a rattle when I shake them. It is normal - electronics have small parts that can move. I think the best resolution to this problem is to stop shaking your device :D

This is very different than the battery rattle that makes the "thunk" sound. That needs to be corrected by Apple.

Zeusus

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Looks like it is the free floating lens in the camera assembly. There isn't anything you can do to correct it, because it it supposed to do it. The penalty one must pay for a much higher quality camera.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
My take is that it's the power button. My first iPhone 4 had this rattle, and it was the power button. My second one does not, but if you tap around the camera, it does make a little rattle.

Both iPhone 5s I've handled have the rattling noise. I think there are two rattles, one is the power button and one is the camera. The camera one is normal, while the other could be considered a defect if you ask me.

trixnrice

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
i've also replied in another thread about this. I've taken apart the iphone 5, and isolated this sound. it is the plastic disk/autofocus around the cameral lens in the camera housing. Some rattle more than others. i purchased numerous iphone 5's to sell and for personal use, some seem to move around more than others. ALL do if you tap near the camera lens, some do by just shaking it or putting down. Does not effect function in my experience. You can eliminate the loose power button or any other physical button by holding them and then tapping or shaking your iphone again. the sound will still be there, even if barely audible. I've had this on all my iphones since the 4. its just the way free floating auto focus works. If it bothers you too much, go exchange and try for a less severe sounding camera.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
OK, just a quick update.

I couldn't stand it.

I really couldn't.

My co-worker got his phone and it rattled as much as mine. I went to verizon however to return a case that I had ordered and checked the ONE dispaly model iPhone 5 that they had and believe it or not, it was nearly silent. Could hardly hear it.

After mulling over what to do, I said "forget it... for $850+$100 warranty, I want a flawless device"

I had sent my first 4s back for the same problem and they had sent me a MUCH MUCH quieter one (that my wife still uses).

I called Apple, they said it shouldn't make any noise (yea right). I called Verizon and they sent me a new one.

Verdict: My rattle is now a tad bit lower in pitch :eek:

All that for a change in pitch. PLUS the new one has a microscopic flaw near one of the speaker holes and another microscopic flaw near the sim slot. you would literally need to really REALLY examine to see them. I missed them on the first two examinations.

Then started the fun of having to have my number transferred over... OTP with Verizon for an hour. Then transfer the AppleCare + OTP with apple for 45 minutes...

So is it worth the headache to have it replaced? Well, that's up to you. Honestly, I knew going into it that I could very well receive a SILENT (no rattle) phone and I also knew that I could possibly receive one just as bad with more flaws.

My experience with the 4s was positive. The first one rattled like a tin can full of nickles and the second one like a plastic bottle with a dime in it... relatively speaking.

For the 5, I did not gain as much silence as I did exchanging the 4s. So it goes.

For what it's worth, I won't be exchanging any more iPhones for this (non) issue. I just wish Apple would acknowledge it as such.

bryann9182

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Is this considered a valid reason to request a replacement? I don't want to go down to Apple and ask someone there and have them be like "yeah its pretty normal" and then just turn around and leave without getting a replacement

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Is this considered a valid reason to request a replacement? I don't want to go down to Apple and ask someone there and have them be like "yeah its pretty normal" and then just turn around and leave without getting a replacement

I called Apple and explained the scenario very precisely. They said abnormal. I even phrased it with them having an out by saying "I don't know if this is something that is common or if it's a known issue..." They said no way. I then called Verizon and asked what they say about it. It's very much like asking a 4th grader about astro-physics as you will get a wide variety of dumb answers... anyway, I then told them what Apple said and they agreed to send me a replacement.

Nobody but me has actually touched the device to determine if it's a real problem. I'm sure the people in the stores will tell you it's normal since giving you a new phone will reduce their inventory that they can use for upgrading or starting new contracts.

If it bugs you, I'd CALL about it. Explain it to them. Let them make their own diagnosis over the phone (which is really hard to do). My critical point where I said "if they say X I am sending it back" was when Apple said it should not make any noise. Deep down, we all know this simply isn't true. 100% of iphones I've held and specifically checked for this (4, 4s, and 5) have all had some kind of sound to some degree. To what degree varies wildly. My wife's 3rd gen iPad actually doesn't have a noise at all. Either that or it's so faint I can't hear it (and I have good hearing).

Either way... if it bothers you that badly, you can do whatever you need to justify a replacement. You paid a lot for this thing... I don't see why you can't have exactly what you want out of it. If they don't like it, they can deny you a replacement (in some convoluted form I'm sure). Plain and simple.

But consider the possibility of going through the process to get right back to square 1 cause it's a really good possibility... almost probable. Lots of hoops for the same result.

----------

Oh, My wife's friend from grad school stopped by this weekend too. He works at the Apple store somewhere in D.C. as an upper-level "genius" (I say upper level b/c he does more than just genius appts and has been there a while... I don't honestly know his title). He said nobody comes in and complains about it. I can't imagine that. I mean, that tells me that the majority of them have this to a degree that is unnoticable. My first one was VERY noticable...

phillyguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Mine not rattling if i shake it , but if i tap it anywhere above the apple logo, i hear rattling , power and volume buttons r little loose..After reading this thread looks like almost everyone having this issue. anyone hearing this rattling noise while on call or when it vibrates?

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
on my 2nd iphone.. first one wouldnt charge and had a thumping sound.. that was clearly the loose battery issue..

2nd one has this annoying rattle... two of my coworkers have silent phones and another one has a slight rattle but not as loud as mine.. should i try for a 3rd phone?

ehh stupid apple and their lower level of QA now..

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
only one day into my iP5 and the rattle really bothers me. in a Speck CandyShell case it rattles when set or placed down on a table. of course, when you tap the back from the middle to the top it rattles. our two 4S have no rattle at all and feel so solid and well made.

i ordered from AT&T and my question is do i have to work with them for a replacement OR can i just go down to the Apple Store. much thanks.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
My first iPhone 5 had a rattle that you could create by just jiggling the phone in your hand. Reminded me of my loose power button the i4 since the noise would go away when I held my finger on the power button. At the store they said it was issue with the camera. Got a new i5. This one does not make the rattle when i shake it, but when I tap it with my finger it does rattle slightly. Not happy with it but I suppose I will learn to deal with it. Oh, and "finely crafted watch" my :apple:! Who crafted the watch? Homer Simpson?

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
So here is my story.. I bought a white iphone on launch day. After 2 weeks of use my iphone suddenly stopped charging. It would say it's charging when I plugged it in but the battery wouldn't charge. I then noticed it suffered from the thumping problem when you shook it. It felt like something big was loose inside and was thumping around in the case. Plenty of youtube videos on this issue if you are curious. Most people believe it's the battery that is loose.

So i made an appointment with the genius bar and the guy immediately said yeah that's not normal I'll swap your phone out for a new one. So I got my new phone on Saturday and noticed right away it had a slight rattle near the camera. Apparently a lot of people have this issue so I didnt think too much about it but a part of me just didnt feel happy with a brand new phone that rattled. Plus it had a very very tiny itty bitty minute scuff that was barely noticeable. Anyways decided to make an appointment with a genius bar again just to see if they would swap it again. The guy at first said sometimes a tiny bit of rattle is normal but he would open it up and take a look at it. My decision to finally go in was because none of the store display models rattled and neither did my coworkers.

So the dude comes back and asks "Have you ever opened your phone before?" I'm like "uhhh Noooo. why?" He answers ".. well your phone is missing a part" I was like "What??? Good thing I came in then" and asked what part it was missing. He told me it was missing the 3 screws and a metal bracket that holds down the connector for the display and that was what was causing the rattle. He said it's very very strange that a part would be missing and that the replacement units are all brand new from apple now and not refurbs. Anyways of course he offers to swap out the phone so now i have a scuff free and rattle free phone so I am mostly happy except there is a piece of plastic wrapper that is stuck in between the edge of the display and the plastic bezel and it wont come out. Looks like i may need to go back for them to open the display to remove it.. ARGHH apple and their QA has definitely gone down hill.

Anyways just wanted to share in case others are hesitant to take in their rattling phone it might be worth it to just check it out. Also it's good to know the white box replacements are all new now. He did say in a couple of weeks/month they may start becoming refurbs.

eaglefox12

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
thank you sir... was debating whether to go to my apple store and check out the rattle and battery issue... I not happy with my battery as it barely goes 7 hrs with light use... and goes 20% down overnight... but also with rattle issue(which I thought was normal until now), i am definitely calling those geniuses

So here is my story.. I bought a white iphone on launch day. After 2 weeks of use my iphone suddenly stopped charging. It would say it's charging when I plugged it in but the battery wouldn't charge. I then noticed it suffered from the thumping problem when you shook it. It felt like something big was loose inside and was thumping around in the case. Plenty of youtube videos on this issue if you are curious. Most people believe it's the battery that is loose.

So i made an appointment with the genius bar and the guy immediately said yeah that's not normal I'll swap your phone out for a new one. So I got my new phone on Saturday and noticed right away it had a slight rattle near the camera. Apparently a lot of people have this issue so I didnt think too much about it but a part of me just didnt feel happy with a brand new phone that rattled. Plus it had a very very tiny itty bitty minute scuff that was barely noticeable. Anyways decided to make an appointment with a genius bar again just to see if they would swap it again. The guy at first said sometimes a tiny bit of rattle is normal but he would open it up and take a look at it. My decision to finally go in was because none of the store display models rattled and neither did my coworkers.

So the dude comes back and asks "Have you ever opened your phone before?" I'm like "uhhh Noooo. why?" He answers ".. well your phone is missing a part" I was like "What??? Good thing I came in then" and asked what part it was missing. He told me it was missing the 3 screws and a metal bracket that holds down the connector for the display and that was what was causing the rattle. He said it's very very strange that a part would be missing and that the replacement units are all brand new from apple now and not refurbs. Anyways of course he offers to swap out the phone so now i have a scuff free and rattle free phone so I am mostly happy except there is a piece of plastic wrapper that is stuck in between the edge of the display and the plastic bezel and it wont come out. Looks like i may need to go back for them to open the display to remove it.. ARGHH apple and their QA has definitely gone down hill.

Anyways just wanted to share in case others are hesitant to take in their rattling phone it might be worth it to just check it out. Also it's good to know the white box replacements are all new now. He did say in a couple of weeks/month they may start becoming refurbs.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I have been through many iPhone 4S phones and they all had the autofocus camera rattle when tapping on the Apple logo on the back or setting the phone down on a hard surface. I even tested the display models in the store and they all did it to a certain degree-some louder than others (boy did I look dumb doing that).

My iPhone 5 makes the sound as well as my gf's iPhone 5. I am not saying all phones HAVE to make the sound to be normal but it is normal to have that rattle. The Apple rep on the phone probably just assumes the rattle is something else and may not have the technical knowledge to know that the autofocus mechanism is in fact a moving part that will make some noise.

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
thank you sir... was debating whether to go to my apple store and check out the rattle and battery issue... I not happy with my battery as it barely goes 7 hrs with light use... and goes 20% down overnight... but also with rattle issue(which I thought was normal until now), i am definitely calling those geniuses

yeah good luck.. My original phone had super crappy battery life too. . About 5-7 hours of use TOPS. . the 2nd one with the missing part had an amazing battery (only went through one charge but it felt way better. At the end of the day I still had over 50%).

Haven't really tested the battery out on my new phone so I'll see how it holds up. Someone mentioned resetting all your settings and that might improve battery life if you restored from a backup.

Good luck with your rattle and battery issue. Doesnt hurt to just go in and ask. For the most part the genius bar peeps try to help you out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.