Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
My 5 makes no noise at all no matter if I shake it or tap on it. My 4S has a very slight noise if I tapped near the camera lens.

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL
Important!

Guys, Download a app called IBrate (Free) its a vibrator that keeps the vibration going then take a lamp flip your phone over and look at the camera at an angle it starts wobbling around. This is obviously not good for the camera and its mega annoying.

Post Results with a Quote to this.

jcastillo20059

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Went to the Apple store today and was going to get a replacement because of it. They checked it out and he tightened the screws on the vibrator motor and it still rattles but its a normal rattle now if that makes sense. If anything go to the apple store and have them tighten the screws and it will fix the problem.

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL
Went to the Apple store today and was going to get a replacement because of it. They checked it out and he tightened the screws on the vibrator motor and it still rattles but its a normal rattle now if that makes sense. If anything go to the apple store and have them tighten the screws and it will fix the problem.

LOL its not the motor maybe for your issue but 99% is the camera rattling :apple:

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
It's so funny that people think it is the vibrator motor/camera lens.

You guys, it is the power button. That is causing the rattling noise. Nothing more. No need to worry.

pauliewa

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012

You guys, it is the power button. That is causing the rattling noise. Nothing more. No need to worry.

Speak for yourself. Mine too is the vibrator motor. If it was just the power button, you're right, I wouldn't be worried.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
how do you guys *know* it's the vibrator motor?

I am 99% sure it's my camera lens because when the camera is actively auto-focusing it goes away (except I can still hear the sleep/wake button).

I can also pinch the top corner of the phone where the camera is (light pressure) and tap it and it mutes the sound almost completely.

I know I have some sound from the sleep/wake button cause I can shake the phone and hear the slightest tick but when I put my finger over it, it stops.

I don't hear anything from the vibrator motor. It's a lot louder and stronger in general. If I use iBrate and let it just sit and slam the vibrator motor it will rattle the lens and the home button eventually... but who does that? and why?

----------

Guys, Download a app called IBrate (Free) its a vibrator that keeps the vibration going then take a lamp flip your phone over and look at the camera at an angle it starts wobbling around. This is obviously not good for the camera and its mega annoying.

Post Results with a Quote to this.

I don't see my camera moving at all when I do this.

How is this "obviously" not good for the camera? It was designed with a free-floating piece. If yours moves, maybe you have an issue outside of the design factor. Does your camera take good pictures?

I will agree it's super-annoying... but what are the options? Keep sending it back till I get an absolutely silent one? Is that even possible (based on my experience, no, they ALL make noise to some extent. Every single iPhone I've ever touched.)? Do I want the hastle? Will the "silent" one have other more critical flaws?

I'm telling you... You can send yours back. I was sitting there yesterday when my co worker unboxed his 32gig... it rattles EXACTLY as much as mine. Brand new. Out of the box. I re-checked my old 4s. The sleep/wake button is quiet, but camera lens rattles around. I've used it for a year and taken some extraordinary pictures with it. If the camera lasts another year +, I will have HARD TANGIBLE proof that it's a non-issue.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
I had this rattle on my first iPhone 4. I didn't exchange it for that issue alone, but it had other problems so I ended up swapping it at some point. The new one did not rattle. My iPhone 5 has the same rattle.

I really don't think it's supposed to rattle, but a lot of them do. It's more of an annoyance than any sort of problem. If your phone is problem-free otherwise, I'd forget about it.

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I have a genius appointment at the fifth avenue store over lunch. Ill let you all know what they say (its rattling a lot - seems to be getting worse).

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
The camera lens can rattle, but not so much. If it rattles when phone shaken or slight amount of pressure then it's bad an I would replace the phone. My brand new 4S rattles but only when I tap hardly on the back of the phone near camera lens and the sound is barely noticable. It never rattles when shaken.

Last edited:

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
well mine has a slight rattle. i wasn't too concerned, but last night i tried the camera and the flash is not working properly. it does a very bright "pre-flash" but is then very dim when the photo is taken. in fact, the pictures are brighter when the flash isn't used, even in a dark room.
here is an example in my office with the lights out:

WITH flash:
Photo%20Sep%2026%2C%209%2035%2003%20AM.jpg

WITHOUT flash
Photo%20Sep%2026%2C%209%2035%2011%20AM.jpg

not sure why dropbox rotated them, but you get the idea.

this sucks. i was really happy with my iPhone 5. no other problems, no major scratches/nicks out of the box, etc.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
well mine has a slight rattle. i wasn't too concerned, but last night i tried the camera and the flash is not working properly. it does a very bright "pre-flash" but is then very dim when the photo is taken. in fact, the pictures are brighter when the flash isn't used, even in a dark room.
here is an example in my office with the lights out:

WITH flash:
Photo%20Sep%2026%2C%209%2035%2003%20AM.jpg

WITHOUT flash
Photo%20Sep%2026%2C%209%2035%2011%20AM.jpg

not sure why dropbox rotated them, but you get the idea.

this sucks. i was really happy with my iPhone 5. no other problems, no major scratches/nicks out of the box, etc.

do a soft reset. I found a thread yesterday where this may just be a bug.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
that fixed it! thank you so much.
i really did not want to have to return this phone.

Yay!

I know I would have been super-disappointed in your shoes... I HATE finding "deal breaker" type things.

I would keep an eye on it though cause it may revert back. that's what others were reporting anyway. software bug!

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL

no to call you a fool when its vibrating hold the power button you're still going to hear the same noise the power button is glued and not bolted buddy.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I just got a flawless iPhone 5, but my camera rattle seems much louder than my 4S. Seems like something is moving when the phone is slightly moved, especially during calls.

So its safe to assume that if the rattle comes from the camera its completely normal. That's the only place my phone makes an obnoxious rattle. ):

somegreatwood

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Fixed!

Yes - had the same problem. It is an issue with the battery adhesive in the iPhone 5. I purchased at Best Buy, but returned to the Apple Store. They swapped the phone right away and are aware of the issue. I was the second person at the store who had the same issue, so they can be somewhat familiar with it.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I just got a flawless iPhone 5, but my camera rattle seems much louder than my 4S. Seems like something is moving when the phone is slightly moved, especially during calls.

So its safe to assume that if the rattle comes from the camera its completely normal. That's the only place my phone makes an obnoxious rattle. ):

Correct. Mine is louder than my 4s but not by much. My 4s is almost a year old and takes excellent pictures.

kousuke18

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I've had this rattling noise in my past iphone 3g, 3gs, and 4. The noise is coming from the camera mechanism and doesn't have any negative impact on its functionality.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have no comment about the cause, what I do know is the ones that my counterparts at the office got, were returned and exchanged by Apple.

I must say Apple customer service has never disappointed. They've been simply terrific over the two decades that I've been a customer.

In fact, I'd like to see Apple improve it's quality control. If they did the returns would be fewer, and customers would be happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.