Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
S

syd430

excellent. how is the screen better?

First one had an uneven tint (yellowish at top, cooler at bottom) but tbh I was just going to live with it. I swapped it mainly because of the accelerometer/gyro.

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
UK
After the 14/30 days is it a white box replacement?

My return period ends on Monday. Reluctant to return as everything is good apart from gyro issue.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Taken any pano pics?

Also are you going to replace via apple store online or genius bar at an apple store?

Phoning online store now to get a replacement sent out. Cant be bothered with treking all the way to MK only to be told they dont have any to replace with or some other BS. Its fine apart from the button rattle. I can live with it until the new one arrives.

Call done, new phone will be here early next week. They take the old one off me so no need for me to package anything up. They put a hold on my credit card for the funds incase the phone I send back is damaged or I dont send it back. If its all cool they just release the funds back again. So no cost to me.

Last edited:

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Phoning online store now to get a replacement sent out. Cant be bothered with treking all the way to MK only to be told they dont have any to replace with or some other BS. Its fine apart from the button rattle. I can live with it until the new one arrives.

Let me know what they say and what their estimated timescales are for delivery because I may follow your route.

Thanks

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Let me know what they say and what their estimated timescales are for delivery because I may follow your route.

Thanks

2 business days. So Tuesday, Maybe wednesday. Depends what time it all goes through.

I seriously doubt it will solve any balance issues. The fact people say every phone in the store is off and even our week 39 units are off.

When I said I did previously phone up about the balance he did say that they want the phone back for the engineers.

All they need back from me is the phone. He said what the courier brings should be a full retail box. So possibly a chance of an extra lightning cable out of all this ;)

tharepairguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Drove 5 hours round trip to have a 'genius' take a look at the phone. My original 5s had a small nick on the bevel out of the box and an annoying power button rattle, along with sensor-gate issues...

They were about 30-40 minutes behind despite making an appointment. The guy was nothing short of a duechebag. I pointed out the nick on the chambered edge, pointed out the rattle and showed him how bad the level was. He informed me that they do not replace phones for power button rattles and that apple defines that as normal. At first he tried saying it was the camera making the noise. I told him that when I hold or just touch the power button, it goes away. He still argued that I was 'tweaking' the housing on the phone when pushing down on the power button and it was binding up the camera, hence it not rattling. What a tool. Here's where it got funny. When he handed me the replacement, I looked it over and wouldn't you know, It had about a 1/4"x1/8" section that was all scratched up on the bottom. He didn't really give a **** and told me since mine had a mark that I had to deal with it or not accept the replacement. wow...

After driving all that way, I just put it in my original iPhone 5s box and headed home disappointed. Re-activated my iPhone 4 to use until I get another set of screen protectors and/or an acceptable replacement. Took the phone out when I got home and wouldn't ya know, rattles like a penny in a tin can. $1000 device that is supposed to be manufactured with extreme precision my ass. I'm losing faith in apple and now that I accepted a replacement, I'm guessing I can't even return this pos back to best buy for a refund. I still have the original iphone from 2007 and works great to this day.

/off rant...

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
2 business days. So Tuesday, Maybe wednesday. Depends what time it all goes through.

I seriously doubt it will solve any balance issues. The fact people say every phone in the store is off and even our week 39 units are off.

When I said I did previously phone up about the balance he did say that they want the phone back for the engineers.

All they need back from me is the phone. He said what the courier brings should be a full retail box. So possibly a chance of an extra lightning cable out of all this ;)

Thanks for the info - two business days isnt bad at all but does that mean your happy to live with the gyro issues? Do ups do a straight swap for the old one when they deliver? Did apple also take a charge on your card?

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I honestly think apple will come up with some software fix.

Ups will do the straight swap. New phone in my hand, old one handed over and into a Jiffy bag.

They put a hold on your credit card. Or if you give them a debit card they charge the full ammount and then refund.

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Drove 5 hours round trip to have a 'genius' take a look at the phone. My original 5s had a small nick on the bevel out of the box and an annoying power button rattle, along with sensor-gate issues...

They were about 30-40 minutes behind despite making an appointment. The guy was nothing short of a duechebag. I pointed out the nick on the chambered edge, pointed out the rattle and showed him how bad the level was. He informed me that they do not replace phones for power button rattles and that apple defines that as normal. At first he tried saying it was the camera making the noise. I told him that when I hold or just touch the power button, it goes away. He still argued that I was 'tweaking' the housing on the phone when pushing down on the power button and it was binding up the camera, hence it not rattling. What a tool. Here's where it got funny. When he handed me the replacement, I looked it over and wouldn't you know, It had about a 1/4"x1/8" section that was all scratched up on the bottom. He didn't really give a **** and told me since mine had a mark that I had to deal with it or not accept the replacement. wow...

After driving all that way, I just put it in my original iPhone 5s box and headed home disappointed. Re-activated my iPhone 4 to use until I get another set of screen protectors and/or an acceptable replacement. Took the phone out when I got home and wouldn't ya know, rattles like a penny in a tin can. $1000 device that is supposed to be manufactured with extreme precision my ass. I'm losing faith in apple and now that I accepted a replacement, I'm guessing I can't even return this pos back to best buy for a refund. I still have the original iphone from 2007 and works great to this day.

/off rant...

I'm not stressed enough about the compass thing to bring back my 5S but I think that the way you were treated was disgusting.

If I were you I would make a formal complaint to Apple.

I did this about 6 months ago by calling customer service, and it was escalated to Apple PR/Senior care team and I got resolution.

It's important, most of us spend 1000's of usd/eur/gbp with Apple so I expect to be treated well (and am for the most part).

Hope for a software fix to this debacle.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
My case with Apple has progressed a little but not in any meaningful way.

Engineering asked for photos comparing 5 and 5S in same circumstances.

So i provided them with 8 photos of flat, long-edge, short-edge & compass comparing the 2 phones.

They'll then decide whether to capture the device and what they're gonna do...

Very much sounds though like Apple are in the capture & diagnose stage of this rather than having a full understanding and engineering a solution.

This has REALLY taken the shine off my new iPhone....not played my favourite games for days ...

Had i not done a cascade of my previous devices - we are a 3 device family, i have latest, wife has previous and i use 3rd oldest for work and sold the previous oldest - i'd have sent my 5s back and cancelled my upgrade.

Kinda stuck with it now as i'm past my contract cooling off period.

Exactly. This is a MAJOR fault with the 5s that both my wife and I are experiancing but our past two iPhones have already been traded into Gazelle so at this point all we can do is hope it gets resolved.

I for one am so happy that basically EVER TECH NEWS SITE has now published this issue and have contacted Apple and waiting for their response.

The cats out of the bag now. Lets hope Apple releases some sort of pulic statement on the matter soon.

rednotbeige

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Compared to my iPhone 4, the compass reading on the 5s is similar, but where the 4 shows a flatish surface (table top) to be flat or -1 degree, the 5s reads -6 degrees.

I haven't had chance to read through the thread yet but will look see how people are recommending as the best way(s) to report it to apple.

At the moment I intend to keep my phone and hope this can be fixed someone for the affected phones by a software update. I don't play games much but there may be other times this could be annoying, even if just wanting to see if a surface is level. My guess is that returning the phone at present would be tricky with the supply issues, as I'd have to do it online (bought from the apple online store) rather than wig able to turn up at an apple store.

Londoncity

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Just spoke to Apple who told me I was the first to call them with this problem, suggested I take it back to store and swap it for another. If it's bought in store is this my only option, can I call another department and get one sent to me?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I think that Apple will try to keep this under wraps so it doesnt go too public. In the meantime they will quietly resolve the issue and honour replacement phones for the 5% or so of purchasers that log a complaint.

I have an appointment with a genius tomorrow as my gyro is recording a 3 degree discrepency. I shall ask for a refund if they have no new phones in stock and wait for a month or so to see if they address the problem

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
I find it funny that Gizmodo and Cult of Mac both referenced this thread yet MacRumors ignored this news story for what ever reason dispite the fact it was right under their nose.

I guess becuase its an acutal PROBLEM and not some RUMOR. Great job guys! NOT!!

MR did worse than ignore this issue, they actually shutdown the initial thread about it. Said, "this thread has gone off the rails." I assumed it was for bickering, but I've seen far worse bickering that hasn't gotten threads closed.

Bossyman

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Does this issue effect pano view photos?

My phone is at -4 degrees when it should be 0 degrees.

Whenever I take a pano photo I see "bending" in some parts of the photo...is this normal, or an issue with the gyroscope?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Does this issue effect pano view photos?

My phone is at -4 degrees when it should be 0 degrees.

Whenever I take a pano photo I see "bending" in some parts of the photo...is this normal, or an issue with the gyroscope?

it's to do with the gyro. when you're taking pano's you need to hold it straight/adjust it as you're taking the picture. the gyro captures this movement and if its off then it'll mess up your photo. if it's off by 4 degrees then you'd need to slightly tilt the phone to compensate for the difference.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
re-calibrate?

Is there a way to do the calibration (hopefully, we all did that the first time) a second time?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hows your replacement coming along? Still at 0 on a flat surface? Any drifting?

Still at zero the next morning. No drifting. Still -2 on its back, too (which doesn't bother me at all). As long as it's zero on its edge, that's all that matters.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
it's to do with the gyro. when you're taking pano's you need to hold it straight/adjust it as you're taking the picture. the gyro captures this movement and if its off then it'll mess up your photo. if it's off by 4 degrees then you'd need to slightly tilt the phone to compensate for the difference.

This should also affect still shots. If you think the pic is level when you take it, especially of tall buildings, some will begin to look like the Tower of Pisa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.