Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Anyone else feel this is how things are going?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 153

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Tried 10 different IPhone 5S in the Apple store Everyone had the same problem. Might as well wait Chances are if you exchange it you're going to have the same problem

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
Tried 10 different IPhone 5S in the Apple store Everyone had the same problem. Might as well wait Chances are if you exchange it you're going to have the same problem

if it turns out to be hardware and you wait beyond the return period you end up with a refurb unit.

I think people who's return period ends today should try to exchange and re-set their return period. I know that is a bad, but people have spent as much as $1150 on a phone and had to stand in line for hours.

U4icLab

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
SoCal
Anyone else feel this is how things are going?

Ha! So true, and ironic. I stumbled across this interview, "The Lost Interview" of an earlier Steve Jobs on Netflix. He basically said it all, similar to that cartoon. The moment your marketing and sales surpass the actual quality of your product, you're on your way to crashing and burning.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Has anyone noticed the issue when taking pano pictures? Or is the main thing that it will affect games?

Tim Cook still hasnt replied to my tweet yet :-O

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
so whats the current plan of attack?

1. wait and see for fix approach
2. head down to apple store and demand a replacement?
3. Wait a while before demanding replacement

my phone is affected too, I too, cannot accept sensors that are alll wrong.

You will have to wait. Like it or not, there is no fix and may never be a fix. You can always return your phone.

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
My case with Apple has progressed a little but not in any meaningful way.

Engineering asked for photos comparing 5 and 5S in same circumstances.

So i provided them with 8 photos of flat, long-edge, short-edge & compass comparing the 2 phones.

They'll then decide whether to capture the device and what they're gonna do...

Very much sounds though like Apple are in the capture & diagnose stage of this rather than having a full understanding and engineering a solution.

This has REALLY taken the shine off my new iPhone....not played my favourite games for days ...

Had i not done a cascade of my previous devices - we are a 3 device family, i have latest, wife has previous and i use 3rd oldest for work and sold the previous oldest - i'd have sent my 5s back and cancelled my upgrade.

Kinda stuck with it now as i'm past my contract cooling off period.

bassfreak

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Same story on my device too (ME305LL/A)

Attachments

• iphone5s-vs-iphone5-compass-level-on-flat-surface.jpg
    iphone5s-vs-iphone5-compass-level-on-flat-surface.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 90
S

syd430

if it turns out to be hardware and you wait beyond the return period you end up with a refurb unit.

I think people who's return period ends today should try to exchange and re-set their return period. I know that is a bad, but people have spent as much as $1150 on a phone and had to stand in line for hours.

This is exactly the situation I was in today and I took the risk and got it swapped out. So far it looks like it's paid off. This one is -1, whereas my previous one was -5. The screen on this one is much better too.

Dimitrissg

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Greece
The M7's job is to handle data from the iPhone's sensors—the accelerometer, gyroscope and compass.

That means there are 3 different sensors inside iphone 5s. I think it is a software problem between sensors values, M7 and A7 because the problem exists at 3 sensors, not only one of them . i think it is impossible apple to calibrate wrong all of them. I hope apple gonna fix this soon.

Mine is -3 horizontally and +1 vertically.

Last edited:

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
UK
Has anyone noticed the issue when taking pano pictures? Or is the main thing that it will affect games?

Tim Cook still hasnt replied to my tweet yet :-O

My pano pictures are shocking, they are bent in the middle, completely unacceptable as you can see below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 312

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
UK
Joke!

My readings are off on the compass though!

Games using accelerometer are awkward.

Last edited:

benfranke

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
I think I have found a potential fix for this issue. Brb setting up a Kickstarter to mass-produce these things.

bumper.png

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Affects the iPhone 5 as well?

Same story on my device too (ME305LL/A)

My 5s has shows this problem in part:

Long edge = 0 degrees
Short edge = -1 degree
Flat = -1 degree

I checked a collegaues iPhone 5 and it shows exactly the same results i.e. the problem might predate the 5s!

This is not a great deal for me, but:
- my iPhone 4S is prefect on both sides and when flat (all 0)
- page 107 of the iPhone user guide does say we should be able to use our iPhones as a level, and shows we should expect the green 0 degree screen when the phone is flat. Apple promise this but do not (at the moment) deliver...

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
The M7's job is to handle data from the iPhone's sensors—the accelerometer, gyroscope and compass.

That means there are 3 different sensors inside iphone 5s. I think it is a software problem between sensors values, M7 and A7 because the problem exists at 3 sensors, not only one of them . i think it is impossible apple to calibrate wrong all of them. I hope apple gonna fix this soon.

Mine is -3 horizontally and +1 vertically.

This, is a very good point.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Week 35 5s, tested against my old 4.

0.1° difference between them (might not even be that as the 5s app only shows full degrees).

52a14ae109302194f07d362074f54f20_zps643bda9a.jpg

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Are you still going to wait and replace a bit later on? Have noticed any issues with your pano pics?

Gonna replace. My power button rattles. Don't even notice it until I'm driving and it's in the car holder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.