Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theotherguy

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
New iTunes Icon

The new iTunes icon makes a little more sense than the current one [purple arrow pointing down]

AppleMojo

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Parental Controls? You're kidding right? What kid under the age of 16 is carrying around an iPhone? If it's a richy rich kid then the parents probably don't have any interest in setting up boundaries for said kids.

Apparently you live in a shoe.

Neighbors -> Multi million dollar home -> 2 children (13 & 15) -> both with iPhones and MacBook Pro's.

This is very much common outside my neighborhood I imagine.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Personally I think the parental controls are silly too. If you don't trust your kids then just don't buy them a phone. The emphasis on the need to protect children from the dangers of technology is stupid.

As for the added features, there are a few I can't believe aren't already on the phone, for instance mass delete in mail.

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
Personally I think the parental controls are silly too. If you don't trust your kids then just don't buy them a phone. The emphasis on the need to protect children from the dangers of technology is stupid..

Parental controls are there (like on TV's, Cable boxes, and DVR's) to give the option to limit what your child sees. They aren't "silly" - they are an option. Obviously by your post you must be a very open type of parent ( as I can't imagine that a person without children would waste a moment commenting on this) so you would not utilize the parental controls. I am a parent and I would not either. However, there are many parents that feel differently as is there right and these controls are there for them.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Parental controls are there (like on TV's, Cable boxes, and DVR's) to give the option to limit what your child sees. They aren't "silly" - they are an option. Obviously by your post you must be a very open type of parent ( as I can't imagine that a person without children would waste a moment commenting on this) so you would not utilize the parental controls. I am a parent and I would not either. However, there are many parents that feel differently as is there right and these controls are there for them.

I'm not a parent and don't think you need one to be able to comment. I believe young people should be given the freedom to make their own choices. I don't think this is 'wasting a moment' for non-parents to discuss this as it avoids the fact that young people ought to have the ability to say that they shouldn't be controlled without their consent.

Obviously it makes business sense to include parental control options for those who feel the need to constantly control and monitor their children, but I don't support these technologies and will speak up on it.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
You could use the iPhone with Verizon... IF Verizon wasn't such a craptacular company that uses inferior CDMA technology, and ties you to a single phone for the life of your contract. GSM FTW.

As for the phones being locked, Apple wanted partners for a lauch, the partners demanded that the phone be locked. If Apple had felt that they could have just released the iPhone for all GSM networks and had any success or not had any backlash from the mobile operators, they would have.

TEG
Actually, didn't Apple want Verizon first? CDMA carriers are a lot better than the GSM ones in America. The CDMA carriers separate date and voice from signals using codes and then are transmitted using a wide frequency range, which leaves more space for data transfer. So in turn, Thats why they have a lot faster networks with more coverage, and for me, better call quality and coverage.

AT&T is just starting to seriously roll out its 3G network and T-mobile doesn't even have one, while Sprint and Verizon's networks are blazing along. Apple should have made a CDMA counterpart for the U.S. market, with GSM everywhere else. They wouldn't have to be with AT&T, no GSM buzz, better sound quality, and a faster network (that can recieve calls at the same time :rolleyes:).

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Actually, didn't Apple want Verizon first? CDMA carriers are a lot better than the GSM ones in America. The CDMA carriers separate date and voice from signals using codes and then are transmitted using a wide frequency range, which leaves more space for data transfer. So in turn, Thats why they have a lot faster networks with more coverage, and for me, better call quality and coverage.

First of all, no one has ever said that Apple wanted Verizon first. They were always looking at a GSM phone. Second, the CDMA system wastes bandwidth, causing fewer numbers of connections to a cell tower. Also, you cannot compare RTT1x or EVDO to EDGE as they are two entirely different technology levels. Also, CDMA has better coverage due to higher powered antennas, which have a greater possibility of causing long-term effect on the human body than the lower powered GSM systems.

AT&T is just starting to seriously roll out its 3G network and T-mobile doesn't even have one, while Sprint and Verizon's networks are blazing along. Apple should have made a CDMA counterpart for the U.S. market, with GSM everywhere else. They wouldn't have to be with AT&T, no GSM buzz, better sound quality, and a faster network (that can recieve calls at the same time :rolleyes:).

at&t is just rolling out their network because the FCC has few if any openings at the standard 2100 MHz frequency that most 3G GSM systems use, so they had to wait until companies could create 1900 MHz. UTMS equipment and get it approved by the FCC. GSM blips are caused by poorly shielded speakers reacting to the 850/900 MHz range, and is a much better alternative to the CDMA thud that occurs when you do anything on a CDMA phone that can't access the 1900 MHz spectrum. As I said before you cannot compare EDGE to RTT1x or EV-DO, since EDGE is only an extension to an existing voice standard (hence its only allowing one use at a time), whereas RTT1x, EV-DO, and UTMS/HS(D/U)PA are all built for both. Before RTT1x, CDMA was incredibly slow for any data and had the same restrictions that GSM has with EDGE.

GSM... FTW!

TEG

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not a parent and don't think you need one to be able to comment. I believe young people should be given the freedom to make their own choices. I don't think this is 'wasting a moment' for non-parents to discuss this as it avoids the fact that young people ought to have the ability to say that they shouldn't be controlled without their consent.

Obviously it makes business sense to include parental control options for those who feel the need to constantly control and monitor their children, but I don't support these technologies and will speak up on it.

Pft. Spoken like someone who doesn't know the three rules of safe childrearing:

1. Predators only exist on Myspace, Yahoo! Chat, and AIM. Blocking or restricting access to these three services will protect your child from, well, everything.

2. Prohibition, the War on Drugs, the War on Prostitution, and so on have taught us one thing: when you deny a person access to something they want, they say "oh, okay, that's cool" and no black market or other secretive method of fulfilling that desire will ever arise.

3. All children instantly become mature adults upon entering college; despite having helicopter parents that neurotically prevent them from ever even witnessing a televised depiction of someone having an impure thought, your children will enter college equipped to deal with date rapists, hard drugs, binge drinking, and abusive relationships.

filmguy15

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Why is everybody arguing about have parental controls? Why would it ever be a bad thing to include this feature??? If you don't like it, don't use it! I am nowhere near being a parent, but I can imagine that this feature would be invaluable to a lot of parents! Once again, people assuming that THEIR needs/wants are EVERYBODY'S needs/wants. It doesn't hurt you at all for Apple to include this feature, does it? And please don't preach about how "this slows down the process of other, more important features" because you know it doesn't, they hardly had to do anything to make this feature happen. Come on......

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Why is everybody arguing about have parental controls? Why would it ever be a bad thing to include this feature??? If you don't like it, don't use it! I am nowhere near being a parent, but I can imagine that this feature would be invaluable to a lot of parents! Once again, people assuming that THEIR needs/wants are EVERYBODY'S needs/wants. It doesn't hurt you at all for Apple to include this feature, does it? And please don't preach about how "this slows down the process of other, more important features" because you know it doesn't, they hardly had to do anything to make this feature happen. Come on......

Why are you complaining about people complaining? How do their complaints hurt you at all?

Et cetera ad nauseam

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY

This was much better stated than to just call people that don't think the way you do "stupid" as you did in your last post. And it takes no effort at all to disregard that parental controls even exist as you must know. And yes, I know that you are years away from being a parent.

Konstanty

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Safari should be able to view PDFs. It works on my iPhone.

I'm not talking about online PDFs through a web browser, nor reading PDF attachments to mail. I mean reading locally-stored PDFs with a dedicated PDF reader, using bookmarks. See: Preview.app.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Personally I think the parental controls are silly too. If you don't trust your kids then just don't buy them a phone. The emphasis on the need to protect children from the dangers of technology is stupid.

As for the added features, there are a few I can't believe aren't already on the phone, for instance mass delete in mail.

I think Apple uses the term "Parental Controls" to mean more than just a child's guardian, but to represent controls companies can use etc. For example, small businesses might use parental controls on mac os x to block certain websites, or restrict apps a user can use, etc.

jonesy16

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Out of your average 100 iPhone users, how many do you think need trig functions?

Seriously...

The point isn't "how many ... need [it?]", the point is that 1) it's TRIVIAL to program in software, 2) easy to add a "simple / advanced / scientific" mode selector for the calculator so you can choose your interface, and 3) just seems like the right thing to do. If I'm going to go to the trouble of getting out my phone and going to the calculator it's going to be because I've got some reasonable serious math to do. I'm not going to pull it out just to add or subtract two numbers. I believe, at a minimum, it should have be able to do square roots. Additionally I think it would be great if they had trig and inverse trig operations. Later we can talk about an RPN mode but I'm sure it'll be a developer app . . . oh, maybe I should write that, 70% profit here I come...

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
The point isn't "how many ... need [it?]", the point is that 1) it's TRIVIAL to program in software, 2) easy to add a "simple / advanced / scientific" mode selector for the calculator so you can choose your interface, and 3) just seems like the right thing to do. If I'm going to go to the trouble of getting out my phone and going to the calculator it's going to be because I've got some reasonable serious math to do. I'm not going to pull it out just to add or subtract two numbers. I believe, at a minimum, it should have be able to do square roots. Additionally I think it would be great if they had trig and inverse trig operations. Later we can talk about an RPN mode but I'm sure it'll be a developer app . . . oh, maybe I should write that, 70% profit here I come...

What? Not free?!!! ;)

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Still no MMS?:rolleyes:

Dude MMS is NOT going to come from Apple. 3rd party app sure, but not Apple. They are pushing E-Mail, not old limited technology.

Now all they need is the ability to delete SMS messages.

And a way to switch off those lame speech bubbles.

Those "lame" speech bubbles are what make Apples GUIs so nice and sets the iPhone apart from every other phone. Everyone I know loves the iChat look of the texting.

Sorry about the double post. How do I delete a post after I combined them now???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.