Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Also just chatted with Apple in the online store.

They told me this (for both t-mobile store and apple store):

If you want to use it in the US with a different carrier, I do recommend reaching out to TMobile directly to see how long you need to use their service before they unlock - I have heard from customers that Tmobile says 90 days, but definitely call to confirm

and asking for when if apple will offer unlocked for launch day:

Currently, we don't have any information on that. In the past, there has been an unlocked model available a month or two later.

They also gave me the usual snipped about t-mobile internationally:

Okay, awesome. So the iPhone Contract Free model for T Mobile is able to be used on T Mobile here in the US, but is able to be used internationally automatically by just taking out the nano-SIM and replacing it with one from the GSM carrier you're wanting to use, worldwide!

And they confirmed again that this means that I can't put a US AT&T sim in that phone

rahulravella

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014

And they confirmed again that this means that I can't put a US AT&T sim in that phone
I called Tmobile. They said the phone will be unlocked if I buy it from the apple website.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA

I wouldn't believe it. They were telling people the same story last year too and it wasn't true.

Kesarion

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Why are you still debating this? We provided proof that it's unlocked! An unlocked phone means that it can be used with any sim card anywhere. Except Verizon I guess.

Raidriar

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Hey guys I'm curious if it's listed on the site, does that "generally" mean it will be available for preorder on the Apple site on the 12th? Since they always put the unlocked phones a month or 2 later, I'd rather get it earlier. Any thoughts? I'm on a group T-Mo plan and can't really switch carriers so the only option for me is unlocked or change the T-Mo plan to their single plans offered on their website.

GhostSeq

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Why are you still debating this? We provided proof that it's unlocked! An unlocked phone means that it can be used with any sim card anywhere. Except Verizon I guess.

and sprint?
You DO have to understand everyone is getting various info from the carriers. I had a Verizon rep tell me this morning that me and my partner can absolutely buy an unlocked phone from the US or Canada and bring them to Verizon.

only problem is
1. Apple isnt saying they are selling an "unlocked" phone -and under the text for unlocked phones on the apple website - it says they wont work on CDMA

2. Most seem to say that even if it DID work - Verizon wont allow phones that arent pre-programmed to work on Verizon.

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Every year the same thing. If you buy the tmobile version FROM APPLE it will be unlocked and work with any GSM carrier. SOME Apple stores will sell you a full priced contract free Verizon phone which is UNLOCKED for any carrier except Sprint. Your mileage will vary on the second method depending on which store you try this at.

----------

and sprint?
You DO have to understand everyone is getting various info from the carriers. I had a Verizon rep tell me this morning that me and my partner can absolutely buy an unlocked phone from the US or Canada and bring them to Verizon.

only problem is
1. Apple isnt saying they are selling an "unlocked" phone -and under the text for unlocked phones on the apple website - it says they wont work on CDMA

2. Most seem to say that even if it DID work - Verizon wont allow phones that arent pre-programmed to work on Verizon.

If you want your iphone to work on Verizon you have to get the Verizon version. The Verizon version will also work on TMO and ATT but not Sprint.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
for selfish reasons, I'm hoping the tmobile phones are locked to tmobile even if purchased from Apple. Why? Because it will reduce the scalpers that hire scabs to buy as many phones as possible and then ship them to asia to sell at a markup. This will reduce the inventory of TMobile phones, which is what I need as a tmobile customer.

Anyone not eligible for an upgrade can still get a full price phone attached to a carrier and they are unlocked if one pays full price. You just have to go through the upgrade eligibility checker.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Every year the same thing. If you buy the tmobile version FROM APPLE it will be unlocked and work with any GSM carrier.

Apple's official line is: the T-Mobile will be locked to T-Mobile.

The anecdotal evidence is: it won't be, if bought from Apple.

So as a buyer, you have to decide what amount of risk you want to take. It's not accurate to say the phone will definitely be unlocked even though it may be valid (for all I know) to say it always has been before.

Meanwhile, the genuinely unlocked version seems to be available in Europe from day one. How long does it usually take for Apple to offer it within the US?

DatzKray

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
hey guys!

i just want to chime in and help out. hopefully this goes for the iPhone 6 too.

I am in an AT&T contract and can't get out till April of 2015. But when i went to apple's website and tried to purchase an iPhone 5s , it said i had a few options, and one of them is paying 350$ including a "ONE TIME UPGRADE FEE". So hopefully that's the case for the iPhone 6 because 40$ is obviously nothing to me

arken

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Just like last year, this is one big dilemma.

Are the "contract-free" iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus on T-Mobile actually unlocked?

I want to pre-order one the minute it becomes available, but I want an unlocked model.

Contract Free phones are carrier locked. After getting the phone, one should call the carrier and they will unlock it for you. So technically, it does not come unlocked. I bought Note 3 att contract free last year and got it unlocked within a month to use that outside US. I was planning to buy att contract free iphone 6 plus this year but damn, it's available only on T-mobile. I hope, by Sep 12 or Sep 19, they will add att contract free version.

Seems like Apple starts selling unlocked phones only after couple of months of release. When iphone 5s came, it was available on contract or contract free, but now unlocked iphone 5s is available in Apple Store.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Contract Free phones are carrier locked. After getting the phone, one should call the carrier and they will unlock it for you. So technically, it does not come unlocked. I bought Note 3 att contract free last year and got it unlocked within a month to use that outside US. I was planning to buy att contract free iphone 6 plus this year but damn, it's available only on T-mobile. I hope, by Sep 12 or Sep 19, they will add att contract free version.

Seems like Apple starts selling unlocked phones only after couple of months of release. When iphone 5s came, it was available on contract or contract free, but now unlocked iphone 5s is available in Apple Store.

okay. it's seriously this simple- the t-mobile full price iPhone 6 from the Apple Store WILL BE UNLOCKED. You do not need to call T-Mobile. Out of the box it will accept ANY GSM sim. We all understand Apple later sells the 'unlocked' version in the store, but the T-Mobile full price one is the SAME THING. Buy away, if you need an unlocked iPhone on release day.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I ordered my T-Mobile 5s direct from the Apple Online Store last year on 9/20 and I can assure you that it was unlocked from the day that it arrived and it still is. The same will be true this time around as well. As others have mentioned, only the phones purchased from T-Mobile (the carrier and their own retail stores) are carrier locked until they are paid in full and/or the 40~ day period ends.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I'm sure almost 100 percent T-MO iPhone is going to be unlocked, but the question is NFC. On Apple website it showed that t-mo iPhone doesn't have NFC. I want to use the phone on Att network. t-mo is very bad in my area.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I'm sure almost 100 percent T-MO iPhone is going to be unlocked, but the question is NFC. On Apple website it showed that t-mo iPhone doesn't have NFC. I want to use the phone on Att network. t-mo is very bad in my area.

It was a typo

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012

Link?

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
It looks like typo, T-mo phone has NFC, same like att, web page designed poorly

----------

If I buy contract free t-mo phone, should I choose a plan or I can just switch a sim card?

frozen220

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
My chat with Apple Sales Rep...

Now Chatting with Christine

Hey Christine!

Hi there, my name is Christine! What brings you to the Apple Online Store today?

I have a question about iPhone 6. So, if I purchase the T-Mobile contract-free iPhone 6, is that model unlocked?

I would love to answer your questions about the iPhone.

That is such a popular question because everyone loves an unlocked phone. I Wish I had better news but it is not unlocked.

We do not have information about unlocked phones at this time. It hasn't been made available to us.

How do I get an unlocked GSM iPhone 6 on launch day?

That will not be available at that time. We do not know when it will be available.

that's outrageous!

well, wait.....

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/IBJanky/misc/iphone6_zps2af4351e.jpg

It DOES say Unlocked on the Apple website....

I am sorry for the confusion. That isn't accurate. I have checked into this many times today and there is no updated information about Unlocked phones.

The best place to find out that information will be Apple Hot News

it will have all the latest information.

Well what about us, you know... the CRAZY ones, those who THINK DIFFERENT, and go contract-free..?

On launch day we will have a contract free phone. But it just will not be unlocked. That doesn't mean they won't release one, we just don't know if or when that will happen.

It just doesnt seem fair or part of the Apple way to make people paying the full price for an unlocked phone to have to wait WEEKS after the launch to get a new iPhone

I plan on using my iPhone 6 with StraightTalk

I understand. I am waiting for an unlocked phone too. It is disappointing.

Okay, then let me ask you this....

Can I buy a contract free AT&T iPhone 6 on launch day? Since I still currently have AT&T?

We don't offer a contract free AT&T phone for the iPhone 6 and have not been given any information if one will be available. The best way to find that out will be to contact AT&T and ask them if they will have one.

So in other words, the only way to get a contract-free iPhone 6 on launch day is to get the T-Mobile version, but it won't be unlocked?

Yes, that is exactly right.

It will be attached to Tmobile.

I'm disgusted.

Okay, thank you for your time.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Now Chatting with Christine

Hey Christine!

Hi there, my name is Christine! What brings you to the Apple Online Store today?

I have a question about iPhone 6. So, if I purchase the T-Mobile contract-free iPhone 6, is that model unlocked?

I would love to answer your questions about the iPhone.

That is such a popular question because everyone loves an unlocked phone. I Wish I had better news but it is not unlocked.

We do not have information about unlocked phones at this time. It hasn't been made available to us.

How do I get an unlocked GSM iPhone 6 on launch day?

That will not be available at that time. We do not know when it will be available.

that's outrageous!

well, wait.....

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/IBJanky/misc/iphone6_zps2af4351e.jpg

It DOES say Unlocked on the Apple website....

I am sorry for the confusion. That isn't accurate. I have checked into this many times today and there is no updated information about Unlocked phones.

The best place to find out that information will be Apple Hot News

it will have all the latest information.

Well what about us, you know... the CRAZY ones, those who THINK DIFFERENT, and go contract-free..?

On launch day we will have a contract free phone. But it just will not be unlocked. That doesn't mean they won't release one, we just don't know if or when that will happen.

It just doesnt seem fair or part of the Apple way to make people paying the full price for an unlocked phone to have to wait WEEKS after the launch to get a new iPhone

I plan on using my iPhone 6 with StraightTalk

I understand. I am waiting for an unlocked phone too. It is disappointing.

Okay, then let me ask you this....

Can I buy a contract free AT&T iPhone 6 on launch day? Since I still currently have AT&T?

We don't offer a contract free AT&T phone for the iPhone 6 and have not been given any information if one will be available. The best way to find that out will be to contact AT&T and ask them if they will have one.

So in other words, the only way to get a contract-free iPhone 6 on launch day is to get the T-Mobile version, but it won't be unlocked?

Yes, that is exactly right.

It will be attached to Tmobile.

I'm disgusted.

Okay, thank you for your time.

You're a bit crazy.

frozen220

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
What is your source??

okay. it's seriously this simple- the t-mobile full price iPhone 6 from the Apple Store WILL BE UNLOCKED. You do not need to call T-Mobile. Out of the box it will accept ANY GSM sim. We all understand Apple later sells the 'unlocked' version in the store, but the T-Mobile full price one is the SAME THING. Buy away, if you need an unlocked iPhone on release day.

What is your source? Because there are NUMEROUS people on here saying they spoke to Apple directly and were told the T-Mobile contract-free phones on Apple's website are DEFINITELY, 100%, locked to T-Mobile. You can't just come in this forum and post the "truth" with no references to back up what you are saying. So please, tell us your source. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.