Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Apple should have learned this the hard way with iTunes Match and labeled iTunes 11 as 'Coming Soon' instead of giving them a date to meet. Keep the dates internally.

Agree!

There's many reasons for a production date to slip but it's eyebrow raising when it happens. Functionality or compatibility bugs aren't all usually resolved in a matter of just a few weeks but rather reaches a release tolerance.

Hopefully missing the rollout date isn't related to the product itself but to some other supporting mechanism.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I would personally prefer to wait and for them to get it right then have it really buggy and have to wait for 6 months for a really good update to come out and sort it all out.There nothing worse when software comes out and it doesn't work correct and there nothing you can do about it expect wait patiently for the update.To be honest i think i will wait to download and read all the threads and the problems all about it before i decide to download it. i have many times downloading latest version and things haven't worked correctly it just isn't worth the headache anymore.

!!!Patiences is a virtue!!!!

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Beat me to it. I came here to say

This will be a day long remembered. Episode VII has a release date, and Apple is starting to get back to "ship when ready" basics.

Actually I don't think the release of another cheesy Star Wars movie is the biggest worldwide media story right now.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I would personally prefer to wait and for them to get it right then have it really buggy and have to wait for 6 months for a really good update to come out and sort it all out.There nothing worse when software comes out and it doesn't work correct and there nothing you can do about it expect wait patiently for the update.To be honest i think i will wait to download and read all the threads and the problems all about it before i decide to download it. i have many times downloading latest version and things haven't worked correctly it just isn't worth the headache anymore.

!!!Patiences is a virtue!!!!

No doom and gloom prediction intended, but tweaks don't normally push out production release dates.

I do not know why the date is slipping but it does raise reasonable concern. If it is bug related there's little reason to expect a few weeks of patience, as you put it, would resolve them when if they didn't delay the original release it would take six months for a corrective revision.

Patience is a virtue but I think we'd all agree that reasonable production dates and scope is also critical to product delivery.

Here's to my hope that the delay is due to one of these supporting delivery systems that can be easily overcome or to one of the supporting other mechanisms and not to actual flaws within the product.

Cautious anticipation and patience after delivery maybe in order.

Please forgive any typos as this was bldictated during commute.

Last edited:

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Hope this new iTunes is slick and fast, the worst thing about the current one is it's quite slow to open and do stuff in!

That's because iTunes tries to do everything. I'd love to have iTunes broken into a couple of different programs...one for music and another to manage your iPod/iPhone/iPad.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
iTunes 10.7.1 on Friday to support iPad mini and iPad 4? They better or everyone will be pissed because there device wont work and be able to sync :mad:

You really think they'd ship the devices with no support? I'd be surprised if they didn't already build support into 10.7.

Very disappoint ! I miss Steve Jobs. :apple:

Yeah, Steve wouldn't have shipped this a month late...he'd ship it six months late.

koen

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2003
Ive is a hardware designer. I don't understand why everyone thinks he's going to be involved in UI design as well.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
iTunes has never been slick and fast, and it never will. Apple does not know how to make software.

LOL. Really? You got burned, didn't you? What was it, FCPX?:p

Seriously though, I agree a little. iTunes could be so much better. Can't wait to see if they improve it. Hell, I'd love to see sweeping overhauls of all their iLife software, except Garageband.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
And the Clusterf*** that is Apple circa 2012 continues.

Yep. New iPhone, new iPod Touch, new iPod Nano, 2 new and distinct iPads, 2 rMBP form factors, new Mac Mini, new iMac...still not happy? Maybe it's time to move to a different platform. Just sayin'.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I said this would happen last week when they didn't mention it at the keynote. I miss the days when Steve would stand up and announce something and you knew it would be "available now". It's not just the software - they stand up and announce new iMacs then give no clue as to when they will be in the shops. "Sometime in November" is just crap. Finish the effing product, test it, etc, etc and then get up and announce the thing ready to buy "today".

They can't anymore. If they had things ready to buy at the day of announcement, do you know how many leaks would be out before the release? They probably aren't doing nearby releases anymore in order to prevent what happened with the iPhone 5 happening with their other products. I don't recall the iPad Mini actually leaking, or the iMac. When Chinese line workers stop leaking their products, they'll start launching sooner.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
That's because iTunes tries to do everything. I'd love to have iTunes broken into a couple of different programs...one for music and another to manage your iPod/iPhone/iPad.

I'm sure they could make it better and still do everything. That's what I prefer anyway. Otherwise I'd have to open up 3/4 programs to sync photos/videos/music/apps onto my phone?

We'll see what it's like!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
(Do folks) really think they'd ship the devices with no support? I'd be surprised if they didn't already build support into 10.7.

(yes)

Folks are receiving units and the testers are posting their comments and they must be using them with 10.7.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
it was shown in a pretty late form in June and it still needs till the end of November?

good job Apple

They can show a product before it's 100% ready to go. They're probably ironing out the wrinkles and optimizing the performance or something like that.

You complain that they take time to perfect software
You complain that they release software that isn't perfect

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011

LOL.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ive took a look at iTunes 11 and decided it needed work:

iphone_liveblog26.jpg

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I dread every time I have to fire up iTunes. It takes 60 seconds to load and there's a 5 second delay every time you click on anything. If they don't address that bloat, I don't care if they ever release another update.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I dread every time I have to fire up iTunes. It takes 60 seconds to load and there's a 5 second delay every time you click on anything. If they don't address that bloat, I don't care if they ever release another update.

Well, I just keep it open all the time on its own desktop (in Mountain Lion).

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
They can't anymore. If they had things ready to buy at the day of announcement, do you know how many leaks would be out before the release? They probably aren't doing nearby releases anymore in order to prevent what happened with the iPhone 5 happening with their other products. I don't recall the iPad Mini actually leaking, or the iMac. When Chinese line workers stop leaking their products, they'll start launching sooner.

You are obviously clueless to the fact that leaks have zero effect on apple sales. Look at the iPhone 5, everything about we knew and it made no difference

----------

It's a slow app with an old archaic design, there will be much rejoicing when it updates

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010

Sounds like you have more issues than just iTunes.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
You are obviously clueless to the fact that leaks have zero effect on apple sales. Look at the iPhone 5, everything about we knew and it made no difference

When did I say it had an effect on the sales? Apple will sell a ton of everything, regardless of leaks. It just drastically lowers excitement for the big events that they hold, and you, being as "in the know" as you are, should obviously know that Apple loves its big events.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
When did I say it had an effect on the sales? Apple will sell a ton of everything, regardless of leaks. It just drastically lowers excitement for the big events that they hold, and you, being as "in the know" as you are, should obviously know that Apple loves its big events.

But there is no reason or indication that apple would ever delay the release of a product just to preserve the mystery of an apple conference as you are insinuating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.