Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Ha. Who cares.
iTunes has never been slick and fast, and it never will. Apple does not know how to make software.
No, not at all. They only have the best implementation of Unix around with the best GUI wrapped around it to make up a distribution called OS X which drives the best PC's around, and they have the best smartphone/tablet operating system to be found anywhere called iOS, but NNOOOOO, they don't know how to make software.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I was hoping for a "perfect" Halloween with Reese's peanut butter cups and iTunes 11. Oh well! I still get one of them!

Actually, I might just go have one of them right now.

k12g3

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Apple has never had issues with releasing software with bugs or holes because they know they can issue a software update to patch anything that comes up. It is something bigger than that. It has to do with their Pandora clone or another feature they are trying to introduce that the kinks haven't been ironed out yet. Or it could have something to do with Forstall having a big influence on the software design and they want to rid it of all of his fingerprints?

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I have to say I am a bit dissappointed, but like several others have mentioned, I would much rather wait for Apple to perfect it than for them to release a buggy app

That being said iTunes is really overdue for an overhaul :p

ossifer

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
Match update?

Has anyone heard anything about iTunes Match? Being that half of the software is in iTunes, this would be a great time to fix this product. I've got 400 (of 2400) songs that didn't match but should have, and have encountered a dozen or so mismatches. One of the big problems is that each song is matched individually, out of context...

Better matches is one thing, but how about supplying/updating the metadata (id3 tags)? The more my current library looks like the iTunes store, the more likely I am to buy from the store...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
No. They're rly trying NOT to piss you off this month. Hence the delay until the software is actually ready for your use.

well dont make a promise u may not be able to keep and only announce the delay on the LAST day of the possible due date. thats product & projectmanagement 101 but i assumed this would happen after they didnt even mention it at the keynote.

itunes match turned to crap on ios6 too and dont even get me started on maps and siri which never understands anything i say in german.

its also just the tip of the ice berg. same crap they pulled with the new prices of the appstore in europe after announcing the q-results. they didnt even inform the devs, nice way of treating those that "feed" u.

new way of apple = no me gusta. the "apple" has fallen far from the tree

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Or it could have something to do with Forstall having a big influence on the software design and they want to rid it of all of his fingerprints?

Scott is not responsible for iTunes. I think it's something that came up that required more testing. It could also be related to getting out one last 10.x update for the new devices.

Or it could be that they just wanted more time since they don't have the benefits of the developer community like with iOS. Who really knows.

----------

well dont make a promise u may not be able to keep and only announce the delay on the LAST day of the possible due date.

Technically the last possible day would be tomorrow but whatever.

thats product & projectmanagement 101 but i assumed this would happen after they didnt even mention it at the keynote.

They have had delays before, big ones like Leopard which was delayed for 4 months. This is nothing.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
iTunes 10.7.1 on Friday to support iPad mini and iPad 4? They better or everyone will be pissed because there device wont work and be able to sync :mad:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Better for it to be late than look like Forstall's absolute POS iPad Music app.

Funny how few comments against Forstall were here before he was ousted, but now many of the fans are channeling their "Bill Gates hate" towards a full attack on Forstall.

Or maybe the fans have immense reservoirs of hate, so hating Forstall doesn't mean that they have to hate Gates less.

Why can't it be both?

I probably will be.

Tim Cook signed already in advance, incase they will have to fire Eddie ;)

LOL - QOTD.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
This would been a sunny update on my day. It's so gloomy in East Canada. But hey, Apple does what Apple does best, build hype. Although whether the hype would be worth it, we'll wait and see.

Appleseeds

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2012
An iTunes update or lack there of is not going to ruin my month.
And anyone who is even the slightest bit put out by no iTunes update is pretty pathetic.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Yeah! Steve would never delay a release.

He would never delay iOS push notifications for over a year after he announced it.

He wouldn't announce a white iPhone, delay it for a month, delay it again, then finally release it after almost a year.

And he certainly wouldn't delay a major OS release (Leopard) for 4 months.

You have a better memory than me but AFAIK all of those things happened towards the end of Steve's tenure when quite frankly I think he had more important things on his mind.

If I remember rightly the white iPhone was released but quickly withdrawn once they realised there were problems with it.

There is a world difference between that and announcing a new iMac which is then not available for a month or two. What exactly are they going to do in that period? Final product testing? Sorting out manufacturing problems? They should do all that before they announce the product.

Look I've run an international software business so I know that this is not easy. Customers want to know when it's coming but delays and unexpected problems are always possible. But I think in this instance and too many like it recently they are announcing these products to keep the markets happy so their share price doesn't fall. It's a case of we've got to announce something to appease people even if the product isn't ready yet. That is what the likes of Sony do and it's proven to be a real thorn for them because by the time they ship the product everyone has moved on the next big thing and lost interest already. That's why they're going down the pan.

Tim is too focussed on the share price and keeping the shareholders and analysts happy. Steve couldn't give a stuff about all that. For most of his tenure since he came back they had a simple strategy - built it then announce it with immediate availability to capitalise on that initial enthusiasm.

The new iMacs will probably sneak out in November and December and nobody outside the Mac fans and a few Mac magazines will even notice.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
You have a better memory than me but AFAIK all of those things happened towards the end of Steve's tenure when quite frankly I think he had more important things on his mind.

The Leopard delay happened years ago. Back before iPhone 1 was available. It was the sole reason they delayed the OS release - they had to shift staffing to iOS to make sure it was ready.

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
iTunes 10.7.1 on Friday to support iPad mini and iPad 4? They better or everyone will be pissed because there device wont work and be able to sync :mad:

It's amusing since on the iPad mini box it says that "iTunes 11 or later is required". I doubt Apple will leave us with not being able to sync so yes, 10.7.1 or 10.8 will be released in time :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.