Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I never thought I could have taken this decision, but if there won't be an iMac 2012 within October ... I will "stay" Windows and build myself a super pc ! I wonder how many "potential switchers" will Apple lose if they keep on care only about portable iDevices ...

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
I have to agree that's a real possibility the way things seem to be going at the moment and would be a big shame.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I never thought I could have taken this decision, but if there won't be an iMac 2012 within October ... I will "stay" Windows and build myself a super pc ! I wonder how many "potential switchers" will Apple lose if they keep on care only about portable iDevices ...

I really dont see many unless your talking about windows people going mac then these new trend they have will probably put a lot of people off.

I enjoy both worlds and couldnt be more happy, these days im thinking about doing the same in regards of mobile devices :eek: really starting to get tire of iOS and of course human in the end you look forward to changes :p atleast imo.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I really dont see many unless your talking about windows people going mac then these new trend they have will probably put a lot of people off.

I enjoy both worlds and couldnt be more happy, these days im thinking about doing the same in regards of mobile devices :eek: really starting to get tire of iOS and of course human in the end you look forward to changes :p atleast imo.

That's exactly what I was talking about (Win people going to Mac) ... and regarding iOs I agree with you : ordered my iPhone 5 a week ago on the Apple Store and it keeps on saying "delivery 25 - 31 Oct.", I really feel a great will to cancel the order and switch from my iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ...

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
I haven't (just) gone windows

I've gone with the 2011 model iMac but I've also found a new motherboard and AMD triple CPU for an old Windows PC at ePrice (Italy) that I will be upgrading. Well, when I say new Mobo - I've actually doing the same as Apple on the iMac and buying 'last years' components as the price/performance ratio is highly acceptable! I will also stick with DDR3 memory as it's also very affordable in the Win world to get 32Gigs.

If the new iMac is thinner - integrated display - exotic components - soldered DDR4RAM? no HDD possibilities (SSD only at Apple prices) then it might make better sense to buy the old technology?

When I phoned applestore (italy) to buy the iMac they immediately OFFERED me educational discount (100 euros discount) which was a help to making the purchase...

..I couldn't wait!

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Yeah, I agree. I don't understand why some Mac (hardware) users think Macs are better and last longer than PCs. PC makers get their hardware components from the same sources that Apple does. The difference is in the software. One either likes Windows or Apple's OS and other software. That's the difference. I switched to Mac because my PC needed replacing and I wanted to experience the challenge of learning a new OS. I am finding that OS X is not that dissimilar for Windows. Its all about process. Where Apple travels one path, Windows travels another, but both arrive at the same place.

If one considers the history between Apple and Microsoft one will find they both cross license each others operating system. Some Mac users say Windows OS is more buggy than Mac OS. Based on the complaints that I have found reading Macrumors forums, I don't believe that complaint is accurate.

The only other significant difference between the two systems is Apple allows the consumer to configure his or her system (primarily laptops) with higher performing components (ram/ssd/gpu). Professionals and professional wannabes like Macs for that reason. PCs with Windows are designed primarily with the average consumer in mind. It is very difficult to find a PC laptop with more than 8 gigs of ram or 256 gig SSD. To sum it up simply, you either like one system or you don't. The quality of one system over the other is a non-factor except those PC makers who make dirt cheap machines. Yes, one can buy a Mac with an aluminum case and complain about scratches, or buy a PC and not worry about scratches. Or, buy a retina and complain about the associated problems, or buy a PC without retina and not have those problems. I am not favoring one system over another. I just refuse to say PCs are inferior.

P.S. - There is one down side to a MAC. Because of its expense, at least the Macbook Pro with retina, I find myself obsessing over security and handling it with TLC. I didn't do that with any of the PCs I've owned through the years.

The old PowerPC macs last longer and are still usable...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Not really, try using Office 97 with documents created with later versions or running Office 97 across an SBS2011 network, or anything earlier than Outlook 2007 with SBS2011; there are serious "compatibility" issues.
Try using any version of Pages with a document created with later versions. We aren't talking about 15 year old software here!

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
The old PowerPC macs last longer and are still usable...

Some models of the PPC era were awful (water-cooled PowerMacs, certain iMac G5s had logic board issues), but the ones that were good were certainly better than the average Mac nowadays in terms of reliability.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
I don't know whats the big fuss about. Sure i would excited if they were to release a new imac, but do i really need it? The 2011 imac with 16gigs of ram is blasting through everything im doing right now, and i don't even have a SSD in it.

And for things that it wouldn't be able to blast through (crazy video editing and 3d rendering i would assume), a 2012 imac with ivy bridge(minimum improvements for desktop) isn't gonna help.

Perhaps apples not updating it because there's not a need or significant improvement? I mean c'mon, the average users these days can get a i3 setup and not notice a slight bit of lag for everyday use. Desktop computing has become stagnate partially because the lack of need for more power.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
When I phoned applestore (italy) to buy the iMac they immediately OFFERED me educational discount (100 euros discount) which was a help to making the purchase...

..I couldn't wait!

Don't wanna sound bothering but I live in Italy too : they did offer educational discount to me too, but I'm no longer at the University (since at least 15 years !), they kept saying "you just need to have a relative attending school, we would comply anyway ..."

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Some models of the PPC era were awful (water-cooled PowerMacs, certain iMac G5s had logic board issues), but the ones that were good were certainly better than the average Mac nowadays in terms of reliability.

Woops :eek: , I meant generally.

----------

That could be debated. Any G3 or a G4 mini would struggle with Flash and have no chance playing HD video. A G5 iMac built in the era of poor quality control in the capacitor industry will most probably need service if it is not already dead/repaired.

Flash with Camino on a G4(middle-high end) plays better than my Dad's 2.8GHz P4.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Woops :eek: , I meant generally.

----------

Flash with Camino on a G4(middle-high end) plays better than my Dad's 2.8GHz P4.

There will always be exceptions. As a rule, PPC is going to struggle going forward as the demands of newer software become greater. As I said before, its a pointless debate from Apple's perspective as less than 10% of their profit comes from Macs. Mene, Mene.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I don't know whats the big fuss about. Sure i would excited if they were to release a new imac, but do i really need it? The 2011 imac with 16gigs of ram is blasting through everything im doing right now, and i don't even have a SSD in it.

And for things that it wouldn't be able to blast through (crazy video editing and 3d rendering i would assume), a 2012 imac with ivy bridge(minimum improvements for desktop) isn't gonna help.

Perhaps apples not updating it because there's not a need or significant improvement? I mean c'mon, the average users these days can get a i3 setup and not notice a slight bit of lag for everyday use. Desktop computing has become stagnate partially because the lack of need for more power.

Yes there will be, Apple is including new GPUs aswell as CPUs.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
Yes there will be, Apple is including new GPUs aswell as CPUs.

Yea i guess, but professionally(i do photoshop, omnigraffle, illustrator etc), i don't see any need for a new GPU.. May if you play a lot of games.

Then again, I don't see why people would get an imac for heavy gaming use in the first place.

And for a powerful 3d rendering machine, i think a PC would be a much cheaper alternative in the first place as well

masp84

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Many wanted to enter the iMac world in 2012 and now they wont. Thats what's all about

If they are monopolizing our work tools I demand a refresh a year. And if higher tech comes out, and immediate upgrade due. Don't be zombies you pay for this crap. You deserve to be treated better.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Many wanted to enter the iMac world in 2012 and now they wont. Thats what's all about

If they are monopolizing our work tools I demand a refresh a year. And if higher tech comes out, and immediate upgrade due. Don't be zombies you pay for this crap. You deserve to be treated better.

I WANT to enter the iMac world.
I understand that those that have a 2011 iMac are satisfeid and it's a great machine. But it's not up-to-date, so it should never be priced as if it is.

This is not a "treat", but I can't wait much longer. If we are all kept in the dark for much longer, I'll look at other options. Love the OS, but I can live without it, especially if the alternative comes cheaper and is more upgradeable.

It's sad, but I can't be (willingly) held hostage anymore.;)

shortie8512

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Guildford, UK

You absolutely hit the nail on the head... people don't need massive performance for every day desktop tasks, which is why people don't want to buy the current iMacs as they are priced the same as when they were released 500+ days ago. They are now massively overpriced and not worth the money, if Apple simply slashed the prices a lot people would be quite happy with that and buy the current models.

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
Before anyone complains about this being here, I have been an iMac user for a long time now. The majority of my posts here on MR have been in the iMac section as well.

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered all the parts to build my own Windows desktop. I know, I should have at least waited until next month before I did, but I need something now and I was not going to be buying any of the current Macs. But while I have been checking this and other forums daily for bits of news on a *possible* refresh, it hit me. Why the hell am I revolving my life around a computer company? Especially one that doesn't seem to care enough about a loyal customers needs.

I am disappointed in the new iPhone, I am greatly disappointed in the new iOS update... and I could not be more disappointed in Apple's lack of respect for their non-mobile customers. Customers that have been using Macs for over 10 years. I also did not like Lion and think Mountain Lion is the worst version of OS X there is.

Combine all that with the fact that I just built a $1500 computer that will absolutely run circles in any configuration of a current iMac (and I am betting anything they are *possibly* about to release for that matter), and here we are.

I am not giving up on Apple completely. I will trial run this computer for a good half a year. If I really find it isn't for me, I can always sell the parts and return to the Mac fold... but for now, I just want to try something different.

Anyway, just my story of how Apple lost a potential iMac customer. I wholly expect the "cool story, bro"'s and the "good riddance" posts. But I just wanted to get it off my chest.
Seems like it's intended purpose is being implemented... posting on MR's he he.
The new iMacs will be VERY nice with USB3 and retina displays etc. Try doing that with your cheap PC. A monitor equal to a 27" iMacs runs $1000 so... have fun with your new windows nightmare.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

A LOT of truth. A quad i7 2600s vs a quad i7 3770s is close, but the hd6970m vs the hd7970m or gtx680m is not as close.

So a real gamer or some one that needs a lot of video power. Would get gains if imac was to go with the best cpu and best gpu in the 2012.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
That's exactly what I was talking about (Win people going to Mac) ... and regarding iOs I agree with you : ordered my iPhone 5 a week ago on the Apple Store and it keeps on saying "delivery 25 - 31 Oct.", I really feel a great will to cancel the order and switch from my iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ...

OT, I know, but I have an iPhone 4 and an Samsung Galaxy S2. I use both every day.

And you know what - I prefer the Samsung by miles. It's better in just about every respect. Better battery life, better reception, better camera, better video, better screen. More flexible and upgradeable (memory and batteries). It's just a better device. The Apple is a sexy bit of kit, but underneath the nice exterior, it's actually not that great imho.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone5 for any money.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK

Desktop computing technology is not stagnant. Only Apple is stagnant.

I have always used my computers for many different things (music-making, 3D work, video rendering, graphic design, etc on an amateur/hobby basis) and so have all my friends. I have always kept up with technology through building my own PC's. Now I want to switch to an iMac I am told that I have to pay double the price for last year's technology because 'average users' don't 'need' better.
This is not being overlooked. People are not stupid and Apple should wise up.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
OT, I know, but I have an iPhone 4 and an Samsung Galaxy S2. I use both every day.

And you know what - I prefer the Samsung by miles. It's better in just about every respect. Better battery life, better reception, better camera, better video, better screen. More flexible and upgradeable (memory and batteries). It's just a better device. The Apple is a sexy bit of kit, but underneath the nice exterior, it's actually not that great imho.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone5 for any money.

And my wife has an iPhone 4s and it is better than my iPhone 4. What's your point? The S2 came out in Sept. 2011, and the iPhone 4 in June 2010. And why would you need to upgrade a device that's expected to last ~2 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.