Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Yeah, I agree. I don't understand why some Mac (hardware) users think Macs are better and last longer than PCs. PC makers get their hardware components from the same sources that Apple does. The difference is in the software. One either likes Windows or Apple's OS and other software. That's the difference. I switched to Mac because my PC needed replacing and I wanted to experience the challenge of learning a new OS. I am finding that OS X is not that dissimilar for Windows. Its all about process. Where Apple travels one path, Windows travels another, but both arrive at the same place.

For one, because they keep their usefulness far longer. I'm running a late 2006 iMac at home, I doubt there's many professional users doing much on their 2006 Dell's.

And second, because there's a great resale market. I'll get probably $300-400 for said iMac when I do upgrade to something else, considering I paid somewhere around $1100 for it originally (refurb) that's a pretty fantastic return on my investment.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
For one, because they keep their usefulness far longer. I'm running a late 2006 iMac at home, I doubt there's many professional users doing much on their 2006 Dell's.

And second, because there's a great resale market. I'll get probably $300-400 for said iMac when I do upgrade to something else, considering I paid somewhere around $1100 for it originally (refurb) that's a pretty fantastic return on my investment.

Only a imbecil will pay you 300 for a 2006 machine....

Can you share what professional work your doing on that machine that a Dell equivalent cant do now ?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

Can you share what professional work your doing on that machine that a Dell equivalent cant do now ?

Sounds stupid right? $300 might be a bit high but if its fully functional $200-$250 is not unreasonable. Even as a parts machine they hold some value. I think its because Mac users are more drawn to their machines as art forms and the general Windows users sees it as a purely functional object although there are exceptions in both camps obviously.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

Similar situation - I have a work-issued 2010 Dell Latitude (2.53GHz C2D, 4GB RAM) laptop with WinXP Pro SP3. Trying to run just MS Office 2010, Outlook, IE & Chrome; occasionally Quicktime and Picasa. And rarely simultaneously. It's dog slow. I click on an icon in the task bar and wait for the program to launch - and wait, and wait. It eventually launches...

My 2008 iMac that had similar specs (2.8GHz C2D/4GB RAM) before I put in an SSD and 6GB RAM ran circles around my Dell doing similar tasks. I can not see me trying to use a 2008 Dell laptop for these business-related tasks.

It's not that the hardware breaks; it just gets soooooo sloooooow over the years.

And yes - I defrag, I run virus protection and firewall, I keep my HDD clean and over 20% free, I install all updates, blah blah blah. I'm not this young kid who doesn't know how to work on and maintain systems. I'm one of the most tech-saviest persons in my business and circle of friends that's NOT an IT person. I've been running dual platforms since 1991 and there is a major and obvious difference between the user experience on a WinTel box and on a Mac. Looking back over the years, it seemed that every time I bought/built a WinTel box, throughout its life I found myself in this ever-present routine of upgrading the gfx card, upgrading the CPU, adding RAM, etc., just to maintain my user experience that I had when I got it. With my Macs however, any time I did something to upgrade it (RAM, SSD, etc.), my user experience IMPROVED versus getting back to how it was when I bought/built the machine. Just my experience...

I am given my Dell laptop (which is replaced every 3 years as they just can't keep up with the demands that the incremental software updates put on them) for work, but I choose to buy an iMac and an MBA for my personal machines. It's as simple as that. Even my wife, who was a die-hard Windows user (from XP up through Win7) threw in the towel this year and got an MBA.

I know I'll get flack for this on here, as all of a sudden it seems to be in fashion to bash Apple products on the Apple message boards... I'm just relaying my (and many of my colleagues' and friends') experiences with different computing platforms over the years.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Similar situation - I have a work-issued 2010 Dell Latitude (2.53GHz C2D, 4GB RAM) laptop with WinXP Pro SP3. Trying to run just MS Office 2010, Outlook, IE & Chrome; occasionally Quicktime and Picasa. And rarely simultaneously. It's dog slow. I click on an icon in the task bar and wait for the program to launch - and wait, and wait. It eventually launches...

My 2008 iMac that had similar specs (2.8GHz C2D/4GB RAM) before I put in an SSD and 6GB RAM ran circles around my Dell doing similar tasks. I can not see me trying to use a 2008 Dell laptop for these business-related tasks.

It's not that the hardware breaks; it just gets soooooo sloooooow over the years.

And yes - I defrag, I run virus protection and firewall, I keep my HDD clean and over 20% free, I install all updates, blah blah blah. I'm not this young kid who doesn't know how to work on and maintain systems. I'm one of the most tech-saviest persons in my business and circle of friends that's NOT an IT person. I've been running dual platforms since 1991 and there is a major and obvious difference between the user experience on a WinTel box and on a Mac. Looking back over the years, it seemed that every time I bought/built a WinTel box, throughout its life I found myself in this ever-present routine of upgrading the gfx card, upgrading the CPU, adding RAM, etc., just to maintain my user experience that I had when I got it. With my Macs however, any time I did something to upgrade it (RAM, SSD, etc.), my user experience IMPROVED versus getting back to how it was when I bought/built the machine. Just my experience...

I am given my Dell laptop (which is replaced every 3 years as they just can't keep up with the demands that the incremental software updates put on them) for work, but I choose to buy an iMac and an MBA for my personal machines. It's as simple as that. Even my wife, who was a die-hard Windows user (from XP up through Win7) threw in the towel this year and got an MBA.

I know I'll get flack for this on here, as all of a sudden it seems to be in fashion to bash Apple products on the Apple message boards... I'm just relaying my (and many of my colleagues' and friends') experiences with different computing platforms over the years.

depends on your windows usage. some gear does slow up some does not. as for apple same thing it gets slower as time goes on.

truthfully this is not so much the case with any sandybridge based machine that I own. reason is simple the sandybridge was a huge jump up in speed.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012

There are a multitude things that influence the speed at which a computer operates, viruses and malware being two of many. MAC OS prevents these influences whereas Windows has a propensity to attract same. So, I think Windows is more of the culprit rather than the hardware be it Dell or other PC maker.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
a2a8a6uh.jpg

masp84

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008

I actually agree with you, though all it takes to get the "new experience back" in a WinTel is to format your OS hard drive every 6 months, I don't know why but it's true that windows slows down over time however the "lifespam" also depends on the user, cooling and PSU choices and maintenance. I wonder what would be your stand if you wanted/needed to buy a Mac for today's work? would you pay full retail price for the ones posted on the apple store without actually feeling bad?

I was flamed in here by developers who claim that the majority of the industry uses macs for work. That's equal to defining an specific market target and reckon "Macs are built to do serious work stuff", "They're the flagship company of developers" I'm talking about Audio, video, programming etc. Ok let's say it's true which might actually be the case. Don't you think all users should be able to buy up-to-date hardware? Why not have a Mac spec-bumped every year in the same stylish case? this way people could happily enter the market and sell their computers every 2-3 years for a reasonable return, it ain't that hard don't you think? Why the "developing force" has to put up with this? as a company you can't play with people spectations, specially if your main customer base is actually in the technological edge of creation. That's how things go wrong and threads like this one are now getting viral because whether you like it or not they want us to behave like they want and not according to our needs. My 2c

Last edited:

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I never thought I could have taken this decision, but if there won't be an iMac 2012 within October ... I will "stay" Windows and build myself a super pc ! I wonder how many "potential switchers" will Apple lose if they keep on care only about portable iDevices ...

well they will be forced to switch if there is nothing available to use haha.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX

eBay is full of them then, check to see what older Macs are going for. And they're imbeciles :)

I'm running Creative Suite CS3 and doing some 3d work in Maya 2012 (animation, no heavy rendering) on my iMac. Having recently worked on a several year old pc at work those apps are MUCH more usable on my Mac.

JohnDory

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
I have a 2006 core duo mini, and it takes forever to open any program, and about 15 minutes to close down (so I don't).

Everytime I get the beachball of frustration, I come here to read the latest rumours, of which there are none. It feels a bit like going from one beachball to another.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
eBay is full of them then, check to see what older Macs are going for. And they're imbeciles :)

I'm running Creative Suite CS3 and doing some 3d work in Maya 2012 (animation, no heavy rendering) on my iMac. Having recently worked on a several year old pc at work those apps are MUCH more usable on my Mac.

Well they are imbecils lol but thats not the point im interest, have you confirm that a desktop equivalent of your imac dont perform the same task ? desktop cost would have been much lower than you could upgrade ram, video card etc and out perform your current machine and probably still being cheaper BUT doesnt change the fact that if it works for you it does :)

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I have a 2006 core duo mini, and it takes forever to open any program, and about 15 minutes to close down (so I don't).

Everytime I get the beachball of frustration, I come here to read the latest rumours, of which there are none. It feels a bit like going from one beachball to another.

You don't even know how I can understand you ...

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
And my wife has an iPhone 4s and it is better than my iPhone 4. What's your point? The S2 came out in Sept. 2011, and the iPhone 4 in June 2010. And why would you need to upgrade a device that's expected to last ~2 years?

Actually, I have a 4S, not a 4 - my mistake.

But WTF do you mean, "what's your point?". What on earth do you think is my point???

I mean that in my humble opinion, my Samsung S2 is a better phone than my 4S. I was trying to offer the poster I replied to - who was considering a switch to Samsung - some friendly input and advice, given his frustrations waiting for an iPhone 5.

Sorry to have offended your Apple fanboyism.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Well they are imbecils lol but thats not the point im interest, have you confirm that a desktop equivalent of your imac dont perform the same task ? desktop cost would have been much lower than you could upgrade ram, video card etc and out perform your current machine and probably still being cheaper BUT doesnt change the fact that if it works for you it does :)

I could certainly build or rebuild something that would be faster than my iMac, but that wasn't the question :)

The PC I referred to was actually, by the components, faster than my iMac but didn't perform as well.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Actually, I have a 4S, not a 4 - my mistake.

But WTF do you mean, "what's your point?". What on earth do you think is my point???

I mean that in my humble opinion, my Samsung S2 is a better phone than my 4S. I was trying to offer the poster I replied to - who was considering a switch to Samsung - some friendly input and advice, given his frustrations waiting for an iPhone 5.

Sorry to have offended your Apple fanboyism.

If you can't see what my point is, maybe you should re-read your post and see what you said. You were comparing the specs (battery life, camera, reception, screen, video, etc.) of two devices that are more than a year apart in release - half of a major upgrade cycle in the mobile device world. Your Galaxy is a year newer than the iPhone model that you stated you own - of COURSE most of those attributes will have improved over a year. That's like me saying that the iPhone 4S has better specs than the iPhone 4. THAT's my point.

The fact that you recanted and NOW state that you have a 4S (how can you not know what kind of phone that you have if you use it every day AND are that attuned to the differences between your iPhone and Galaxy???) obviously lessens my point. I would not have made that remark if you had been accurate in your statement of what device you actually own and use every day, as the 4s and S2 are comparable generations.

That's WTF I mean...

Always resort to calling someone a fanboy when you don't like their position.

goondocks

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I tried - I really wanted 2012 to be my first iMac. But I couldn't wait any longer to replace my PC. In addition, I was discovering use cases where an iMac was going to make my life a bit more difficult (gaming, using the iMac as a display for my PC work laptop). So instead, I took that money, ordered a bunch of hardware off NewEgg and I'm having a friend put it together. That system will be a beast - although I'll certainly miss the Mac aesthetic.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Not sure why people continue to blame Windows or PC's for them being slow or unstable.. I've been building PC's for the past 12 years, and I have never encountered any of the mentioned issues, apart from issues due to defective hardware..

The problem is the vast majority of users don't know how to avoid a lot of these issues, I don't think It's fair to point the finger at Windows, because as you guys probably know when you first buy your machine it works fast and is stable, overtime it becomes slow and you experience crashes, It's largely due to user error..

So I know that a PC running Windows can do the same if not more then the comparable Mac..

And anyway as far as hardware goes, Macs use the exact same processor, chipset, graphics card, hard drive, memory, & display's as PC's do..

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Not sure why people continue to blame Windows or PC's for them being slow or unstable.. I've been building PC's for the past 12 years, and I have never encountered any of the mentioned issues, apart from issues due to defective hardware..

The problem is the vast majority of users don't know how to avoid a lot of these issues, I don't think It's fair to point the finger at Windows, because as you guys probably know when you first buy your machine it works fast and is stable, overtime it becomes slow and you experience crashes, It's largely due to user error..

So I know that a PC running Windows can do the same if not more then the comparable Mac..

And anyway as far as hardware goes, Macs use the exact same processor, chipset, graphics card, hard drive, memory, & display's as PC's do..

*snort* :eek:

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX

So Windows becomes slower over time, but it's not Windows fault? Intriguing theory.

Could I reinstall my OS, clean out some of the files, and do more to maintain that older PC so that it perfrorms better? I probably could.

But when the equivalent Mac outperforms it and doesn't need that maintenance or cleanup, why bother with the PC?

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
So Windows becomes slower over time, but it's not Windows fault? Intriguing theory.

Could I reinstall my OS, clean out some of the files, and do more to maintain that older PC so that it perfrorms better? I probably could.

But when the equivalent Mac outperforms it and doesn't need that maintenance or cleanup, why bother with the PC?

'It just works' :D .

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012

I've been troubleshooting, maintaining, and fixing PCs for twice as long as you and my experience tells me you are mistaken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.