Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by MacBandit
Actually what you are referring to is typing the name of a file in list view. The person you are quoted is referring to a pop down menu which Safari does not let you type into like IE has for what seems like a decade. If Apple is adding the ability to tab to buttons and drop down menus I would think they would also add the ability to type to find the selection in a drop down menu.

No, he's right. In Panther, you can start typing into any menu including drop down system menus and popup menus.

You really shouldn't correct people before checking your facts.

I do agree that being able to tab to tabs and menus would be good, but typing into a popup menu is already available.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Re: Ayup

Originally posted by mainemike
Would be curious to see if others have the same problem I am having with Safari (1.1).

Go to U2's website (http://www.U2.com) and choose the flash version of their site. Does all of the navigation and info fully load in Safari for you? I can never get this to work and have to switch back to IE, where it does work with no probs.

Anyway.....

didnt work for me either...i submitted a report.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
Re: APPLE READ THIS

Originally posted by mclosers
I hope apple reads this....
anyways how about an option in safari to alway open all links in a new tab rather than having to right click(or control click for you fools without a logitech mx700[best mouse ever made in my opinion]) anyways there should be multiple variations on the same concept like clicking a link opens it in a new window(instead of new tab) and maybe a key to hold down while clicking to open the link in a new tab instead of the same window, thus allowing people with tons of mice buttons(not sure about tense of mouse there) to click one button to open a link in a tab. This is a minor thing but would put safari light years(ok maybe .00001 light years) ahead of the competition and would help out lazy people all over the world

I got that mouse/keyboard combo at the end of the summer. The scroll wheel stopped working last week... Not like its been dragged around in my PB bag or anything, it just sits on my desk with my PC. Kind of sucky for a $100 mouse/keyboard.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Re: Bookmarks Drawer?

Originally posted by MacBandit
Do you have .Mac? If you do you can do this.

I just have all my bookmarks in the bookmarks menu like I would any other browser.

actually you dont need a .mac account. just open the bookmark window and select all your folders and drop them into the bookmark menu folder at the top of the list...it should be the second listing down under the collections column.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by sdf
No, he's right. In Panther, you can start typing into any menu including drop down system menus and popup menus.

I do agree that being able to tab to tabs and menus would be good, but typing into a popup menu is already available.
:) Yes, and I suspect that this was added as a result of the Safari team pestering the Cocoa/Aqua/whatever people to get it added. Judging by Dave Hyatt's blog, he's recognized that people want better forms navigation, so a while before Panther was released he mentioned something about wanting to make pop-up menus more easily navigable (a la IE). I remember that in the comments on that blog entry quite a few people mentioned combo boxes, like you see all over the place in Watson, but he didn't seem too hot on those, so I think he must've used the weight of the Safari team to get this added to the OS. Oh, and later he publicly announced that there would be tabbing to form elements, IIRC.

I think there have been a fair number of technologies already that the Safari team developed that have since been integrated into the core OS, or that have been developed for system-wide use as a result of the Safari team not wanting to do them on their own. (Progressive image loading, perhaps? I'm not a developer--maybe someone who is can chime in here.) And the Safari people wouldn't want to re-implement them for Jaguar--where those features/APIs aren't available--so I think that may be a major reason why Safari seems to be locked to a specific OS version. What's more, I don't think WebKit is actually included in the application package anymore--I think Safari just links to it, and the only Safari-specific features are things like preferences, the download features, bookmarks, the UI, etc. WebKit probably requires some features in Panther, so I don't think it's entirely reasonable to ask for an important system framework--which it is--to be made available for use on the older OS version. Safari is not just a browser, whatever competitive consequences that may imply...

FWIW
WM

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Photorun
I'd love a feature on MacRumors where if someone votes a story as negative they'd need to explain WHY they voted negative. Excepting peecee trolls I can't see why someone voted negative on this story.

Sometimes I have hit negative thinking I'm going to view negative comments. If they are like me thats why positive stories get negatives....

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
Originally posted by dguisinger
Sometimes I have hit negative thinking I'm going to view negative comments. If they are like me thats why positive stories get negatives....

I don't understand the point of the positive/negative thing. All it does is generate irrelevant posts on "why did someone vote negative?" (and irrelevant replies like the one you are reading!)

Can someone clue me in on the point?

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
What about menus?

Doesn't anybody else want alphabetization of URLs, by clicking on the bar above the window -- like iTunes and the other iApps? I'd also like to be able to sort a folder's full.

pjamescowie

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
London, England
Safari Additions

Although Safari is definitely the browser around for Mac in my opinion, there are still one or two vital additions I'd like to see:

1. The ability to browse from cache once offline - this would be fantastic!

2. The ability to save web pages properly - at the moment, when I save a web page, all I get is a stripped down version of the page

Any seconders?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by sdf

No I'm still correct. I know what you are referring to but it can't be done in Safari.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Bookmarks Drawer?

Originally posted by beatle888
actually you dont need a .mac account. just open the bookmark window and select all your folders and drop them into the bookmark menu folder at the top of the list...it should be the second listing down under the collections column.

Uh, yeah that's what I said I do, but it's not what the user was asking for.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Safari Additions

Originally posted by pjamescowie
Although Safari is definitely the browser around for Mac in my opinion, there are still one or two vital additions I'd like to see:

1. The ability to browse from cache once offline - this would be fantastic!

2. The ability to save web pages properly - at the moment, when I save a web page, all I get is a stripped down version of the page

Any seconders?

I agree but I just use Pagesucker. Works great.

Matrix9180

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Re: debug menu in safari

Originally posted by mattroberts
pascalpp and others

I may have missed a previous post for this but You don't need to install safari inhancer to get the debug menu

1- gointo terminal
2- TYPE: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Now, if anyone knows a way to cycle through all my tabs, without the mouse, I'd appreciate that. Kind of an Alt-Tab for just Safari tabs? :)

cheers
m

Due to my NDA I won't officially say whether it's there or not, but...
"I do believe you will probably be able to tab through your tabs in 10.3.3"

Remove I do believe and probably and there's your answer.

Craiger77

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Seattle, USA

Safari really does need to have IE's Save as web archive option, but a work around is to go to Print and then choose Save as PDF instead of printing. This will save the page along with all the graphics.

Matrix9180

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by Agathon
Can anyone say whether they've added an option to open the download manager in a new tab instead of a separate window?

If so, then my email to Apple about this must have worked and I will be a happy camper.
yep, it's there

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Re: ipod and panther

I'm glad you mention this one!
I didn't own my iPod until after I already loaded Panther, and I was rather shocked to find my iPod kept running its battery down while sitting in its charger/dock, just because my G5 went to sleep. That really is poor integration when you consider both devices come from the same company and are supposed to integrate real tightly with each other!

I wondered if this behavior was the same in Jaguar, but I guess from what you're saying - it was.... Can't believe they didn't fix this aleady.

Originally posted by fabsgwu
Just to throw something else on the pile of negatives for Panther, Jag too for that matter; iPod management.

It may not be that big of an issue, but when an iPod is connected to the Mac, when the computer goes to sleep, the ipod stays connected and "awake," only now it's not being charged--so you're left with a drained battery, not to mention unnecessary charge-drain cycles. Also, sometimes when the ipod is connected, it doesn't show up as a connected drive (even though I have it set as a firewire hard disk).

I HOPE they address this issue, as well as the many networking issues discussed in this thread. I know a lot of the problems come from Windows complications (windows networking isn't a savior by any means), Apple really needs to pin down these basic OS issues before moving on to the more sexy updates.

OS X is great to use and work with, but it has it's own quarks. I suppose it is a young OS, relatively speaking, but I hope the Apple developers really polish Panther before charging another buck fifty for an upgrade. :rolleyes:

Matrix9180

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by sdf

But NOT for popup menus in SAFARI on WEBSITES. Which is what the person was talking about. Funny you would gripe about checking facts before correcting someone and you yourself should have checked your facts.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i just did it....i selected a pop up menu here at macrumors then typed the popup menu selection i wanted to select.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by beatle888
i just did it....i selected a pop up menu here at macrumors then typed the popup menu selection i wanted to select.

Seems to work but not every where. Though it is handy now that I know it is working in Safari. Now I just need to be able to tab to the pop up so that I don't have to use the mouse to select it.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by dwsolberg
I'm most excited about the network browsing. Hopefully, they change it back to the way it was in 10.2.x.

(In 10.3.x you need to browse through the Finder to load a server. Then you CAN'T disconnect easily except by shutting off the computer. That's bad for us 'book users. The only current way around this is knowing the direct IP address of the server.)

Yes, that is incredibly annoying! I also hope that in Safari they've finally made it able to save images from it's temp instead of having to redownload them in order to save them...that's a major pain in the ass when you download a lot of images and you can only get dialup because you live outside the city against your will! Anyway, does this annoy anyone else? I love everything else about Safari, especially it's ability to handle ICC profiles, etc. but for me it's pretty much unuseable because of this problem....IE always has problems when it's loading pages especially how it'll blank out if there's a lot of "space" that the pages take up, i.e. (no pun intended) macrumors forums...if it hasn't fully downloaded, scrolling the page may make some parts of it disappear....it's altogether crappy...especially how it'll freeze from time to time while going to certain sites...and the one thing I miss from windows would fix the problem (i.e. each window being a separate task and therefore you can close only the problematic window, however it doesn't always work on windows so Apple could probably rip them off and make it better, like the Alt-Tab functionality in Panther :))...sorry...this was my early morning rant :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by zync
Yes, that is incredibly annoying! I also hope that in Safari they've finally made it able to save images from it's temp instead of having to redownload them in order to save them...that's a major pain in the ass when you download a lot of images and you can only get dialup because you live outside the city against your will! Anyway, does this annoy anyone else? I love everything else about Safari, especially it's ability to handle ICC profiles, etc. but for me it's pretty much unuseable because of this problem....IE always has problems when it's loading pages especially how it'll blank out if there's a lot of "space" that the pages take up, i.e. (no pun intended) macrumors forums...if it hasn't fully downloaded, scrolling the page may make some parts of it disappear....it's altogether crappy...especially how it'll freeze from time to time while going to certain sites...and the one thing I miss from windows would fix the problem (i.e. each window being a separate task and therefore you can close only the problematic window, however it doesn't always work on windows so Apple could probably rip them off and make it better, like the Alt-Tab functionality in Panther :))...sorry...this was my early morning rant :)

Why don't you use Camino or one of the other great 3rd party browser rather than IE if Safari doesn't work for you?

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Re: debug menu in safari

Originally posted by mattroberts
pascalpp and others

I may have missed a previous post for this but You don't need to install safari inhancer to get the debug menu

1- gointo terminal
2- TYPE: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Now, if anyone knows a way to cycle through all my tabs, without the mouse, I'd appreciate that. Kind of an Alt-Tab for just Safari tabs? :)

cheers
m

Cmd + Shift + left and right arrows

=)

-oops sorry, already been answered a few times

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Matrix9180
yep, it's there

No it's not. Download manager is still a separate window

Due to my NDA I won't officially say whether it's there or not, but...
"I do believe you will probably be able to tab through your tabs in 10.3.3"

Remove I do believe and probably and there's your answer.

It's the same key combo as it was in 1.1.1. No need to talk about NDA

deedas

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2003
Baltimore, Maryland
Safari 1.2

I just hope Safari's speed is fixed soon. Web browsing on Safari has become unbearably slow. I've been using Camino and Firebird for most of my browsing in the past month or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.