Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrocket

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
Does Civ IV (ASPYR version not PC) work on MacBook 1.83 1GB RAM?

Does Civ IV (ASPYR version not PC) run well on a MacBook (1.83Ghz w/ intel core duo and latest OSX and 1GB RAM)? :confused:

Has anybody tried it on a regular MacBook (not pro)?

I've read that some ppl have used the PC version in bootcamp, but I'd be buying this as a gift for someone who isn't very computer savvy and bootcamp would be too much of a hassle for them.

Thanks!

Hicks.

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
UK
One game I'd love to be able to play is Oblivion! I loved the Elder Scrolls series :cool:

I know it's not an option with the macbook!

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
bigrell486 said:
Has anyone one run NeverWinter Nights on a Macbook yet. If so, how good does it play.
If you mean the first one (I don't think they have released the second yet), it runs without a hiccup, unless it is multiplayer and there is a bunch of people in a battle. I'll try to get some framerates and stuff at the default settings and stuff later on.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
petrocket said:
Does Civ IV (ASPYR version not PC) run well on a MacBook (1.83Ghz w/ intel core duo and latest OSX and 1GB RAM)? :confused:

Has anybody tried it on a regular MacBook (not pro)?

I've read that some ppl have used the PC version in bootcamp, but I'd be buying this as a gift for someone who isn't very computer savvy and bootcamp would be too much of a hassle for them.

Thanks!

I own the Mac version of Civ IV, and yes, it runs well. I can run it at full resolution, but mind you, I have to turn down the settings. If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you the settings I use in Civ.

petrocket

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
Mackilroy said:
I own the Mac version of Civ IV, and yes, it runs well. I can run it at full resolution, but mind you, I have to turn down the settings. If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you the settings I use in Civ.

Thanks!! I'm gonna try it!

gathaar

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
@ichii strange how games like F.E.A.R./ Half Life 2/ Oblivion work,and heroes ofmigh and magic V not. I shouldn't trust that site.

@ lewion,it looks like u get most games running on ur macbook,plz try out the homm V demo for me. If u succeed in running it,u're my hero ^^

i haven't played many more games on my macbook yet,except for C&C: the first decade (all C&C games),which all run great, and pristontale (mmorpg with bad graphs but fun gameplay)
maybe ppl can gimme some suggestions (games to buy) i like FPS,RTS,RPG.

(white macbook 2 GHz-2Gb RAM)

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Ok here is a slightly random selection of the things I have tried.

Age of Empires III + War Chiefs, works really well (use the settings on page 6 of this thread

Sid Meirs Railroads
works like a big steaming pile of poo, gameplay like a big steaming pile of poo. Turned all the settings to low and it was jerky and unresponsive, but having played it on my pc I have decided to uninstall it anyway cos it is rubbish

Sim Tower - works a treat (un suprisingly) , works really well under crossfire as well.

FM2006 Works like a dream (but isn't in any way graphic intensive, dual core helps a lot though)

FM2007 Same as above

Chris Sawyers Locomotion Works great under bootcamp (again not very intensive)

RT3 Same as above

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
I’m just wondering - if the Macbook had a core 2 duo rather than a core duo how much would this improve game performance if everything else stayed the same? I mean at the same speed would the core 2 duo be a better gaming chip?

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
@ichii strange how games like F.E.A.R./ Half Life 2/ Oblivion work,and heroes ofmigh and magic V not. I shouldn't trust that site.

@ lewion,it looks like u get most games running on ur macbook,plz try out the homm V demo for me. If u succeed in running it,u're my hero ^^

i haven't played many more games on my macbook yet,except for C&C: the first decade (all C&C games),which all run great, and pristontale (mmorpg with bad graphs but fun gameplay)
maybe ppl can gimme some suggestions (games to buy) i like FPS,RTS,RPG.

(white macbook 2 GHz-2Gb RAM)

uhm i could do that if u give me download site + say what u want to know... either osx or windows... i will not do both (if there is a hommv for osx ?? :s lol) so if u give me that, yeah why not i'll give it a try

I’m just wondering - if the Macbook had a core 2 duo rather than a core duo how much would this improve game performance if everything else stayed the same? I mean at the same speed would the core 2 duo be a better gaming chip?

ahum... are you really asking this?? Off course it wont be better then it is now... Maybe 0.05 increase of fps...

So no it all depends on the graphics chip. Which although it isnt the greates, is quite good... F.E.A.R. and such all run...

gathaar

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
ty =)

hehehe thx for willing to try it out,mate.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_13278.shtml
==>you don't need subscribing for this site.

http://games.telenet.be/demos.php?act=one&did=753
==> subscribing needed.

(both pc versions. mac version is still under devellopment==> http://hommv.utopos.net/ )

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/heroes_of_might_and_magic_v/screenshots.html?page=6
==>some screens (i think this graphics require less than those of F.E.A.R. :s)

(P4 1.5Ghz., 512MB RAM, 128MB 3D = req. for pc)

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
hehehe thx for willing to try it out,mate.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_13278.shtml
==>you don't need subscribing for this site.

http://games.telenet.be/demos.php?act=one&did=753
==> subscribing needed.

(both pc versions. mac version is still under devellopment==> http://hommv.utopos.net/ )

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/heroes_of_might_and_magic_v/screenshots.html?page=6
==>some screens (i think this graphics require less than those of F.E.A.R. :s)

(P4 1.5Ghz., 512MB RAM, 128MB 3D = req. for pc)

R u from belgium? Telenet is from belgium and i already have a subscription for that so no problem on that... if ur from belgium plz say it lol.. and i will try it out first thing tommorow... if i dont have to do anything else. Cya

Aan u naam te zien... gat haar, komt ge uit belgie of nederland... lol wel een zeer speciale naam moet ik zeggen...

gathaar

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
@ lewion

hehe,ja ben van België. Van Beveren om ietwat preciezer te zijn. Had al sinds eerste dag je woonplaats Kalmthout opgemerkt hoor ;)

Wat die belachelijke nickname betreft ... heb hem ooit es vr de browsergame hattrick gebruikt en gebruik hem nu vr de meeste fora, niemand begrijpt het toch XD.
Kvoel me wel wat margi,kzit hier al m'n posts vol te zagen over homm V,mrja is 1 van m'n lievelinggames en wie niet zaagt,niet wint =).

Ben altijd pc-mannetje geweest,tot ik de gebruiksvriendelijkheid van de mac-software bij m'n broer zag. 's wel wat anders dan die windows toestanden. Kheb me daarom sinds midden augustus een macbookje aangeschaft en ben er zeer tevreden over. Alleen mis ik af en toe wat goeie game-kwaliteit.

als je mss nog suggesties hebt vr enkele vlot draaiende, toffe games. ^^

PS : en ben je zoiezo zeker dat Half Life 2/ Doom 3/ F.E.A.R. 100% werken? zoja dan gaak me daar es mee amuseren ^^

@ other members : srry for this weird message,from now on i'll post in english again :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I was amazed how fear runs on my 1gb blackbook...

a lot of people didnt believe me so I made a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=169y2YtyQyQ

I think other people should make videos of games if they can too, to give a good idea of how the game plays...
I cant seem to get past the prerecorded video clips in the begining of your recording, How is the actual gameplay? How about some in game footage?

andrewe1

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
I cant seem to get past the prerecorded video clips in the begining of your recording, How is the actual gameplay? How about some in game footage?

those are not pre recordered, they are rendered in real time...and if you wouldve waited till they were over, then you wouldve seen some actual gameplay...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
those are not pre recordered, they are rendered in real time...and if you wouldve waited till they were over, then you wouldve seen some actual gameplay...
I did but you tube kept quitting, 3 times I tried it & 3 times it would just stop. Those begining clips arent game play they are prerecorded sequence that the game starts with laying down the story. I have F.E.A.R. there is a big difference between game play and prerecorded scenes.

andrewe1

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
I did but you tube kept quitting, 3 times I tried it & 3 times it would just stop. Those begining clips arent game play they are prerecorded sequence that the game starts with laying down the story. I have F.E.A.R. there is a big difference between game play and prerecorded scenes.

THEY ARE NOT PRE RECORDED..........................I KNOW THE GAME INSIDE OUT, IF YOU CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN THE SYSTEM THEN YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE INTRO........

Im sorry your youtube keeps quiting, but theres Gameplay in there, if you cant see it its your problem...

If you have fear you can try and see for yourself...

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
THEY ARE NOT PRE RECORDED..........................I KNOW THE GAME INSIDE OUT, IF YOU CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN THE SYSTEM THEN YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE INTRO........

Im sorry your youtube keeps quiting, but theres Gameplay in there, if you cant see it its your problem...

He's right everybody. I just watched it.

Pretty good stuff I saw. The lighting effects seem to be performing especially well. Kudos to you! :D :D :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.

FEAR has a built in performance test to test your Machine you should try it and post your results & settings.

andrewe1

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
FEAR has a built in performance test to test your Machine you should try it and post your results & settings.

How about no? I proved my point, you want to see specific results then do it yourself...

the only thing im saying here is that macbook users have an option to play some cool games...

So, can the macbook run FEAR at playable speeds? YES, it very well can...

Try and prove me wrong

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Thanks for that video again.

Would you mind posting your results on my Macbook gaming thread? (It needs a pickmeup. ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.