Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gathaar

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
@andrewe1

wow dude nice video. it ran very smooth indeed. I'm really amazed.
Does it still runs smooth when there's a lot of action? (bullets flying around + that time slow thingy ^^)

I like video's getting posted,but i dun have a digital camera :'(

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
No reply? I must make a comment on the Fear game and that it is very scalable to your equipment. You can turn off many things,type of shadows,vertix shaders,Resolution,effects etc etc. I was able to avg only 21 fps drawing all the pretty stuff on med/med on a pc, Then turned it to low/low and had frame rates in the 100s:eek: but the fire looked very primitive and the water looked like a sheet of grey slate. 1 setting the water was burbling,reflecting appearing as real life water the other didnt resemble water at all. So Fear is able to run on many different machines both newer and older and thats the good news.:)

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
hehe,ja ben van België. Van Beveren om ietwat preciezer te zijn. Had al sinds eerste dag je woonplaats Kalmthout opgemerkt hoor ;)

Wat die belachelijke nickname betreft ... heb hem ooit es vr de browsergame hattrick gebruikt en gebruik hem nu vr de meeste fora, niemand begrijpt het toch XD.
Kvoel me wel wat margi,kzit hier al m'n posts vol te zagen over homm V,mrja is 1 van m'n lievelinggames en wie niet zaagt,niet wint =).

Ben altijd pc-mannetje geweest,tot ik de gebruiksvriendelijkheid van de mac-software bij m'n broer zag. 's wel wat anders dan die windows toestanden. Kheb me daarom sinds midden augustus een macbookje aangeschaft en ben er zeer tevreden over. Alleen mis ik af en toe wat goeie game-kwaliteit.

als je mss nog suggesties hebt vr enkele vlot draaiende, toffe games. ^^

PS : en ben je zoiezo zeker dat Half Life 2/ Doom 3/ F.E.A.R. 100% werken? zoja dan gaak me daar es mee amuseren ^^

@ other members : srry for this weird message,from now on i'll post in english again :)

Ben er nog niet aan toe gekomen... zal je laten weten als ik het getest heb... en over die andere games, check mijn lijst gewoon even... doom3 ga ik nog testen vanavond. Dus daar krijg je morgen wel gegevens van. (Wat is je leeftijd?) Veel succes allesinds..

In english: I haven't tested hommV yet, i shall let you all know when i tested it. Feel free to look into my posts where you can find a 2 pages long review of games played on my MacBook. Tonight i'm going to test doom3 for those who are interested.
Mind that this is not really a translation of what is said above in dutch. (I don't think it's bad to post things in dutch and english is it?)

Have fun...

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewion
Here is what i've tested on my new MacBook 1.83 ghz 1 Gb ram 60 Gb Hard Disk:

Call of duty 2 (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs Very well, even on high settings and high windows mode. Extra high is not a question But i think High settings will do for most people!

Quake 4 (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs like ****, even in lowest settings lowest window mode, it's just not good... i think id software uses a abnormally high graphic program. Even on low settings it looked like half life 2 on high So, don't download that 5xx Mb for the demo that doesn't work if you own a MacBook or a Mac Mini

Legion Arena (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs lovely, High Settings, High Window, Runs very nice and is a very nice game i'll be buying this i think

Tremelous (Native MacOsx Universal Full Game, since it's free)
-> Runs at 90 fps On High settings, is a free game and looks like doom3...
The basic idea is that you have 2 sides, The alien side and the human site.
(Same as ET with Axis and Allies) And you have to kill each other Being a human though is very hard I recommend this game for people who want to play a very nice free game online!

Minions of Mirth (Native MacOsx ROSETTA Full game)
-> Does not run very nice, it lags ! it's almost inplayable on ROSETTA. For those interested, they have announced the universal binary for the game, so expect to see it some day If that comes out, you can be certain to have a nice playable game!

Enemy Territory (Native MacOsx ROSETTA Full game)
-> Runs like crap, you can walk nice around but when it comes to action, it's totally not playable! At least on the belgian servers which has lag sometimes though so i will test this again on any server people give me it this topic, that they know don't have lag all the time.

Update to the gaming review:

Minions of Mirth (Native MacOsx Universal Full game)
-> Runs like heaven.. Everybody should try this game if they want to see what MacBook is capable of in OsX.. Anyway, i don't know the fps but it runs as a flying bird. U can change it to window mode if you want to for extra performance. Playing on high for those who like to know. (I play it in an unsupported 800*600 window mode for yet extra performance. Contact me if you want to know how to play in 800*600)

Let me know if you have a demo that needs to be tested. I'll be here for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewion
Update:

Minions of Mirth (Native Windows Bootcamp)
-> Runs even better then the universal native osx game. You can put everything on high, highest window mode and still play at very good fps. Definitly something bootcamp-users must try out!

Age of Empires III (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Runs great, as long as you put shader detail low (because otherwise there are some graphic issues), you can put everything else on high. it's recommend to put everything on medium and have water reflections off in a world with much water stuff. Also i recommend to not set bloom, as i see no difference and it gives more performance. Great game, definitly try it out

Age of Empires III - The WarChiefs (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Same as Above, Runs great as long as you keep my recommend settings.

Enemy Territory (Native Windows Bootcamp Full)
-> Runs lovely, everything high! Highest window mode,... It's a great game. But i do wonder where the arena 51 servers are... can't seem to find them Skynet servers rule though Happy gaming!!!

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Runs Good - Great, it autodetects high, but i recommend to set it medium.
Keep the window mode at 800*600 and you will be Great! Very nice demo.

Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos (Native OsX Rosetta! Full)
-> Runs very good, although you play it under the rosetta engine, it really gives it worth a play. It runs great at high settings! So if you're a little short on hard disk space, and you would really like this game without having to go under bootcamp, install it under osx and you'll see how great the rosetta engine handles this one.

Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos (Native Windows Bootcamp Full)
-> Works blazingly fast... if u want to play this game, go on, it's very nice and it's sooooooo fast on the macbook....

Update!!!!!
Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne (Native Windows Bootcamp Full)
-> Idem the above ... works like it should be..

Postal 2 (Native OsX Universal Full)
-> I will post my results when installed

coday182

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2006
Jamestown, IN
it would be so nice to be able to go to my gaming friends house with just my macbook in my bag and be able to play against him anywhere in his house.

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
it would be so nice to be able to go to my gaming friends house with just my macbook in my bag and be able to play against him anywhere in his house.

Uhm... You can... Ever heard of wireless lan? (If i misunderstood ur sayings, please say so)

gathaar

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
take ur time ;-), i appreciate it that you're testing so many games and share ur experiences with us. I also like the games u're testing. it's totally my style of games. Looking forward for list-updates =)

Now i'm playing this game to kill some time :
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/priston_tale/screenshots.html?id=3
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/priston_tale/screenshots.html?id=4
screens are from beta testing 3.5 years ago ... well graphs didn't get much better,but the menu's and events became nicer =p

@lewion : Ben aan mijn eerste studentenjaartje geneeskunde bezig, 18 jaar dus ^^

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Phantasy Star Universe-works
Macbook 1.83ghz 512mb Ram
Windowed mode 800x600
Framerate-skip set to 2

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
take ur time ;-), i appreciate it that you're testing so many games and share ur experiences with us. I also like the games u're testing. it's totally my style of games. Looking forward for list-updates =)

Now i'm playing this game to kill some time :
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/priston_tale/screenshots.html?id=3
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/priston_tale/screenshots.html?id=4
screens are from beta testing 3.5 years ago ... well graphs didn't get much better,but the menu's and events became nicer =p

@lewion : Ben aan mijn eerste studentenjaartje geneeskunde bezig, 18 jaar dus ^^
Ha tof, ik ben ook 18... misschien moeten we met zen 2 eens initiatief neme voor een macbook lan party... ik ken al behoorlijk wat mensen met macbooks en mac mini's... ideetje?

Btw, priston tale is a nice game :) Anyone else here from belgium playing MoM?

Have Fun!

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
I have just installed Guild Wars: Nightfall on the Windows side of my Boot Camped Macbook 2.0Ghz w/ 2GB RAM and it works great. Just so you all know. Fantastic game by the way.my first venture into online gameplay and first Guild Wars game.

gathaar

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
man all these games and their big sizes, I'm gonna buy an external HD of 250-320 GB. I hate to delete older games to install new ones. :mad:

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
I have just installed Guild Wars: Nightfall on the Windows side of my Boot Camped Macbook 2.0Ghz w/ 2GB RAM and it works great. Just so you all know. Fantastic game by the way.my first venture into online gameplay and first Guild Wars game.

is there a guild wars demo? if not i go buy this tommorow ! :) thx for the info

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
@gathaar

http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/793/xx/0-132/101/9/criteresn.html

I'm gonna buy the first one of the list.
Or the 320Gb version or the second one (freecom) ==> http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/793/xx/0-132/101/9/criteresn_BA00000120-BV00040084.html

I think 100€ for a 250GB HD isn't that much. I've seen 60GB drives of 120€ :)

Dude u should buy the western digital.... I've had problems with freecom before, i still have a broken 200gb HD external laying here because freecom couldn't do anything about it. Definitly buy the Western Digital one.. BTW that's exactly the same hd that i will be buying.

Al nagedacht over die lan party?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
The original Counter Strike would probably run okay – I've been meaning to grab the collection of CS games at Wal-mart, so if you don't mind waiting a few days I can try those for you.

RUN JUST OKAY!?!?!?!?!? The original counterstrike runs perfect on a macbook! Of course this doesn't mean much since I use to play that game on a 300 mhz celeron 64 MB system ram and a Voodoo II 16mb card with great FPS...if it ran anything less than pefect on a macbook it would be embarassing.

jim08

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
Hi, i've just ordered a 2G 2M 160 HD Macbook, i'd kind of given up hope of being able to play games on it, but from previous posts its sounds like i've got a chance. My first mac so i'm a little wet behind the ears but i understand i need bootcamp and windows to play games on mac. Type of games i wish to pla would be Pro Evoltiuon Soccer 6 and Splinter cell probably. What do you reckon, do i have a good chance and is this the best way of going about it. Cheers for any help

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Homeworld two (OSX version) works great
iConquer (UB) works great
RCT3 (OSX version) is a pile of poo
RCT3 (XP Bootcamp) runs ok

Frank the Tank

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2006
Anyone tried the original Splinter Cell on Bootcamp?

The game seems to run fine, but I get this intermittent slowdown (non-FPS related) every once in a while that makes it feel like I'm running through syrup.

Anyone else had this kind of issue? This seems to be the only game so far I've tried with this problem...

Juz

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2006
has anybody managed to get need for speed carbon to work? i'm running xp via bootcamp on a macbook 2ghz c2d with 1gb ram, and it just briefly flashes a black screen then crashes back to the desktop when i try starting it. i've tried both 1.0 and patching up to 1.3 without any joy.

i find it very strange, because it's a recent 3d game by ea - and at the same time fifa '07 works like a charm!

mikeyPotg

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2006
heroes of might & magic 5 worked really well.
rollercoaster tycoon was great.
also, warhammer dawn of war worked quite well.

gathaar

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
???

@mikeypotg how did u manage to run that gameheroes of might n magic V? I asked a game developper what to do. He said :
"Update.

There is a divide by zero created on the chipset found in the MacBook and MacMini. Updating to the latest H5 will fix this windows side. This has already been ironed out so the Mac version won't have this problem."

Anyways tell me how u did it plz ^^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.