Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Can you, or someone on the forum, please help me with these questions/concerns?

This has been already discussed. All his server is doing is bypassing Apple system verification to allow you download and install the update. The update file still come from Apple servers (it would be insane for him to host all the updates). @dosdude1 already said this method is safe, he even ditched his own update tool because this is better.

About the iSight camera, there are reports that virtualbox causing issues with this.

FilthyMuppetInnuendo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
Really? That seems like a strange bug. "Look Up" still works here (MBP5,2).

Very strange.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 11.33.51 AM.png

Oh. Hang on. I think Dictionary (the application) just need to download itself. Why it wouldn’t, you know, just BE there as part of the installation is a question Apple will have to answer to Steve more than anyone else.

EDIT: There it goes. So weird.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 11.36.40 AM.png

Now… if I can figure out how to “download” the rest of iBooks’ UI, we’ll be in business. :p Seriously, though, I’m never going to be able to read ePub files in iBooks again, am I…

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Can ANYONE tell me what WIFI Card I need to upgrade to in an iMac7,1 and a MacMini3,1?? Not sure why that isn't in the OP.... Google searched turn up nothing either.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Can ANYONE tell me what WIFI Card I need to upgrade to in an iMac7,1 and a MacMini3,1?? Not sure why that isn't in the OP.... Google searched turn up nothing either.
There’s the search function on the board that you could have used (searching this thread).

On post 3334 Ultracyclist said what he did for his Mini 3,1: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-macs-thread.1977128/page-134#post-23687364

That means you could use this card:
http://www.amazon.com/BroadCom-BCM943224PCIEBT-BCM43224-Bluetooth-607-5952-B/dp/B00UL7B59C/

For the iMac 7,1 (EMC 2133), you could get the mCard 2 from QuickerTek. (you’re also going to have to replace the CPU in that one with one that supports SSE 4.

Edit: Oh, and if you DO get the QuickerTek card - remember that it's both wifi as well as bluetooth. You'll also have to remove the existing bluetooth module in your iMac before closing it back up:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2133+and+2210+Bluetooth+Board++Replacement/997

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
There’s the search function on the board that you could have used (searching this thread).

On post 3334 Ultracyclist said what he did for his Mini 3,1: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-macs-thread.1977128/page-134#post-23687364

http://www.amazon.com/BroadCom-BCM943224PCIEBT-BCM43224-Bluetooth-607-5952-B/dp/B00UL7B59C/

For the iMac 7,1 (EMC 2133), you could get the mCard 2 from QuickerTek. (you’re also going to have to replace the CPU in that one with one that supports SSE 4.

Edit: Oh, and if you DO get the QuickerTek card - remember that it's both wifi as well as bluetooth. You'll also have to remove the existing bluetooth module in your iMac before closing it back up:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2133+and+2210+Bluetooth+Board++Replacement/997
You can use any standard height MiniPCIe Broadcom BCM4322 card in the iMac as well... They're much cheaper than the QuickerTek card.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States

You can use any standard height MiniPCIe Broadcom BCM4322 card in the iMac as well... They're much cheaper than the QuickerTek card.

Thanks guys I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to search the thread. Thanks!!! Didn't mean to be a pest haha

lumos

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2016
Hello, I have successfully installed macOS 10.12 on my Mac Pro 3.1 with macOS Sierra Patcher.
After that I have succesfully updated macOS to 10.12.1 with AUSEnable but I notice that some widgets does not work well.
For example, Fantastical 2.3 does not appear on the widget list (it does not appear also into the widget section inside System Preferences).
Also the weather widget does not find automatically my position, I need to insert it manually.

There is a fix for this?

I have also another question, if I download an updated macOS Sierra Patcher, can I patch again my OS to solve (for example) the audio volume problem or I need to use another method?

Thank you

YoungRick

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
I don’t think (rather, I don’t want to think) it’s anything more than a matter of procedure. “Oh, these models are Vintage, so we can’t release software for them,” etc. Why they’d let that happen is another question.

Sure does. I can’t understand it. When I see a chart that says “No issues” on at least five models, I get a little confused.

As long as I can get Sierra running on my Mac Pro, they can look as bad as they want to in my eyes. :p

Stuck as in “hangs a while”, right? Not “throw up the error log full screen and require a forced restart AND complete redo of the USB stick’s software”. Do you have a 2009 Mac Pro as well?
I have a 2008 MacPro (3,1) and my installer is stuck on "language chooser." I can't seem to get to utilities when i reboot from the usb to do the macos post install. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I have a 2008 MacPro (3,1) and my installer is stuck on "language chooser." I can't seem to get to utilities when i reboot from the usb to do the macos post install. Any help would be very much appreciated.
It is a known bug. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

bigglesthwaite

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2016
This has been already discussed. All his server is doing is bypassing Apple system verification to allow you download and install the update. The update file still come from Apple servers (it would be insane for him to host all the updates). @dosdude1 already said this method is safe, he even ditched his own update tool because this is better.

About the iSight camera, there are reports that virtualbox causing issues with this.

Thank you for that. I uninstalled VirtualBox (the uninstallater was available on the latest installer .dmg) and now the camera is working again.

Upon rebooting, I noticed that the guest account is now activated. It wasn't in my previous El Capitan installation over which I installed Sierra. Does Sierra re-activate the guest account?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yes, but the 4322 doesn't support 802.11AC. With the QuickerTek card, you get all of the continuity features working (including unlocking with Apple Watch). Heh. IF that's important to the buyer that is. :)

Xtian_I_Am

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Berlin
Hi everyone,

i have a very unpleasant problem with the Sierra update, and i can't find any post regarding that. Any help would be highly appreciated.

So i did the update routine, everything worked after a bit of trial and error (and alot reading here) and after the boot up from the post install patcher i am finally presented the login screen BUT i just can't login!

I got all my files (os and patch) off the dosdude1.com website, so it can't be the wrong ones.

I did the post install patch twice (+force cache rebuilt), and got a warning message the second time that there was no valid sierra installation on my disk.

I only encountered a few problems first that led to delete, restore el cap and reinstall sierra again.

Should i repeat the whole process?

Please help!! Thank you in advance!

Edit: A password reset via install cd won't work either. I'm kinda stuck.

Last edited:

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Hi everyone,

i have a very unpleasant problem with the Sierra update, and i can't find any post regarding that. Any help would be highly appreciated.

So i did the update routine, everything worked after a bit of trial and error (and alot reading here) and after the boot up from the post install patcher i am finally presented the login screen BUT i just can't login!

I got all my files (os and patch) off the dosdude1.com website, so it can't be the wrong ones.

I did the post install patch twice (+force cache rebuilt), and got a warning message the second time that there was no valid sierra installation on my disk.

I only encountered a few problems first that led to delete, restore el cap and reinstall sierra again.

Should i repeat the whole process?

Please help!! Thank you in advance!

Edit: A password reset via install cd won't work either. I'm kinda stuck.
What model computer would be a good place to start.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Sorry.. It is a late 2008 MacBookPro 5.1
You ran dosdude1's Sierra patcher to create USB installer, booted from USB, ran installation, rebooted to USB and ran post-install utility. Then you experienced login problem. Does that accurately describe situation?

I don't think anyone has posted issues with credentials after installing. I have only done clean installs so perhaps this is an upgrade install issue that doesn't manifest often if most people have been doing clean installs? Hopefully someone with more knowledge can provide an answer.

Xtian_I_Am

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Berlin
You ran dosdude1's Sierra patcher to create USB installer, booted from USB, ran installation, rebooted to USB and ran post-install utility. Then you experienced login problem. Does that accurately describe situation?

Correct. So my only option seems to be a clean install, and try to get my old data from the time machine backup manually i guess.

VictoryHighway

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2008
Hopedale, MA
Greetings all,
I've upgraded my MacPro3,1 to Sierra using dosdude's patch tool (thanks for all your hard work, BTW). Everything is running fine so far, and I have my update catalog switched, so I get updates. My question is, is it safe to re-enable SIP now that I have everything up and running?

Regards,
Geoffrey

Gusev

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
The Netherlands
Thank you very much for the great patch tool! I've successfully installed macOS Sierra on an iMac8,1.

I do have two questions though. I've searched this thread, but couldn't find the answers:

1. I can get my hands on a WiFi card from a late 2009 iMac (AR5BXB92). Does it fit my iMac8,1? The late 2009 iMac model supports macOS Sierra natively, so I guess the card will also work if it fits my iMac8,1.
2. I've manually ticked the box of the Ambient Light Sensor. How can I check if it works? When I'm in a dark room and turn the light on, I don't really see anything happening to the brightness of the screen.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Thank you very much for the great patch tool! I've successfully installed macOS Sierra on an iMac8,1.

I do have two questions though. I've searched this thread, but couldn't find the answers:

1. I can get my hands on a WiFi card from a late 2009 iMac (AR5BXB92). Does it fit my iMac8,1? The late 2009 iMac model supports macOS Sierra natively, so I guess the card will also work if it fits my iMac8,1.
2. I've manually ticked the box of the Ambient Light Sensor. How can I check if it works? When I'm in a dark room and turn the light on, I don't really see anything happening to the brightness of the screen.
1. Yeah, the WiFi card from the Late-2009 iMac will work just fine.
2. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think that iMac has an ambient light sensor.

Gusev

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
The Netherlands
1. Yeah, the WiFi card from the Late-2009 iMac will work just fine.
2. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think that iMac has an ambient light sensor.

Ah oke, that explains the ambient part. Can I just run the post patch tool again and untick the ambient light box? Or doesn't it do any harm if it stays ticked?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Ah oke, that explains the ambient part. Can I just run the post patch tool again and untick the ambient light box? Or doesn't it do any harm if it stays ticked?
You can just leave it as it is, it won't cause any issues.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Correct. So my only option seems to be a clean install, and try to get my old data from the time machine backup manually i guess.
I don't know for sure because I have not tried upgrade-install. Hopefully that is not the issue. Has anyone else tried doing an upgrade-install with the patched installer?

elcameraguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have installed sierra on my 3,1 mac pro and so far it's working good. I also upgraded the ram a bunch and did the clean install on a new SSD. I think those upgrades are keeping things stable.

dosdude1 thank you for helping me extend the life of my old mac. Money is tight right now and I can't afford a new mac pro yet. I don't want a laptop or all in one imac so I'm trying to keep the savings on standby for the new mac pro release.

I will update with any quirks or issues. Peace!
[doublepost=1479154047][/doublepost]
I don't know for sure because I have not tried upgrade-install. Hopefully that is not the issue. Has anyone else tried doing an upgrade-install with the patched installer?
I initially did the "upgrade install" with the patch tool. I followed the directions to a tee and no major issues so far.

Now that I've done a clean install on my new SSD it's even better....buuuuuuut I can no longer put my mac pro 3,1 into sleep mode since I upgraded to el capitain a while back. I usually just turn it off since it only takes 50 seconds to boot up anyway (stuck some new ram in it too).

I'm going to see if I can figure out the "sleep mode" issue but other than that I'm enjoying this.

Reactions: j2048b

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Still cannot install the standalone update to 10.12.1. Have modified the PlatformSupport.plist to include my Mac Pro 3.1 board ID and replaced MacPro6.1 with MacPro3.1, but it refuses to install. What else is the installer looking for and finding to prevent the install of this update.

Yes I have the AUSEnabler and App Store will let me update that way, but I have always downloaded standalones
and would like to continue to do so if that is possible.

Any ideas.

ta

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Still cannot install the standalone update to 10.12.1. Have modified the PlatformSupport.plist to include my Mac Pro 3.1 board ID and replaced MacPro6.1 with MacPro3.1, but it refuses to install. What else is the installer looking for and finding to prevent the install of this update.

Yes I have the AUSEnabler and App Store will let me update that way, but I have always downloaded standalones
and would like to continue to do so if that is possible.

Any ideas.

ta
You have to go into the package and modify the Distribution file to bypass the system check. I'd recommend just using the App Store with AUSEnabler, though.

Reactions: j2048b
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.