Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
First off, I have tried the search feature in this thread, but didn’t find a solution, so here’s my Q:
I used the "AUSEnabler" to update my MacBook Pro Late 2009 to 10.12.1 and now my mouse and keyboard don’t work. Making things worse, during the first (10.12) installation I didn’t select ‘Recovery Partition Patch’ so now I can’t get into recovery mode to switch of SIP. Am I screwed? Or is there still hope? Thanks in advance!!! :)
You can run the Recovery Partition Patch from the USB drive you made, then boot the Recovery Partition and disable SIP.

MacWaZoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
You can run the Recovery Partition Patch from the USB drive you made, then boot the Recovery Partition and disable SIP.
Thanks for your quick response! So if I have the USB drive attached and I reboot with command-R you mean? Because I get that white circle with line through it even with it attached. When I try to boot up from that USB drive I get the same circle...

EDIT: I think I used the wrong USB drive for this, will try and check it!

EDIT2: That was the case (I have several USB drives for rescue purposes), but when I want to start up from that USB drive and it wants to start up the Macbook goes black after 2 seconds, exactly when the status bar begins under the Apple logo. Rebooting with 'command-R' and the correct USB drive attached still shows the white circle... :(

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Thanks for your quick response! So if I have the USB drive attached and I reboot with command-R you mean? Because I get that white circle with line through it even with it attached. When I try to boot up from that USB drive I get the same circle...

EDIT: I think I used the wrong USB drive for this, will try and check it!

EDIT2: That was the case (I have several USB drives for rescue purposes), but when I want to start up from that USB drive and it wants to start up the Macbook goes black after 2 seconds, exactly when the status bar begins under the Apple logo. Rebooting with 'command-R' and the correct USB drive attached still shows the white circle... :(
Because Command + R boots the Recovery Partition, which has not yet been patched. Just hold down Option and select the drive. If it doesn't boot, re-make it.

MacWaZoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
Because Command + R boots the Recovery Partition, which has not yet been patched. Just hold down Option and select the drive. If it doesn't boot, re-make it.
Thanks! I am going to make a new one from a SD card I have lying around so I am sure it doesn't need extra power or something.

Btw I know Command + R boots the Recovery Partition, but i tried booting from the USB drive too and that didn't work

Last edited:

MacWaZoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
Thanks! I am going to make a new one from a SD card I have lying around so I am sure it doesn't need extra power or something.

I have made a new bootable USB drive on a SD card and it doesn't boot and just now an a USB stick, they all make the MBP quit just after the status bar appears if I select them. I have done everything to the lettre from your site (http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html) and did step 1 till 4 for at least 5 times now to make a bootable USB drive. I am sure I am overseeing something here, because they all just won't work. Even tried all the USB ports to no prevail... #help?

virk

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Aachen
I have the same computer than you, MacWaZoo. And I also saw this circle. Do you know, how to start from USB-stick? You need to restart and then press "alt/option" (not "shift") until all your bootable volumes appear on the screen. I your USB-stick does not appear, unplug and replug it. If is does not appear, there is something else wrong.
In order to calm you, my MBP5,5 is running quite well with Sierra.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I have made a new bootable USB drive on a SD card and it doesn't boot and just now an a USB stick, they all make the MBP quit just after the status bar appears if I select them. I have done everything to the lettre from your site (http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html) and did step 1 till 4 for at least 5 times now to make a bootable USB drive. I am sure I am overseeing something here, because they all just won't work. Even tried all the USB ports to no prevail... #help?
Maybe booting from the SD card is the issue? Option booting from a patched USB installer should ALWAYS work. If your computer is suddenly shutting down during boot... that would be strange.

MacWaZoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
I have the same computer than you, MacWaZoo. And I also saw this circle. Do you know, how to start from USB-stick? You need to restart and then press "alt/option" (not "shift") until all your bootable volumes appear on the screen. I your USB-stick does not appear, unplug and replug it. If is does not appear, there is something else wrong.
In order to calm you, my MBP5,5 is running quite well with Sierra.
Hi, I see the drive, that isn't the problem, it just don't want to start up from it ;(
[doublepost=1479754191][/doublepost]
Maybe booting from the SD card is the issue? Option booting from a patched USB installer should ALWAYS work. If your computer is suddenly shutting down during boot... that would be strange.
It SURE would, I have got a (reformated) 32Gig USB stick in it now, if anything should work it's that! But I think I just forgot or didn't do just one thing right, that's why I said that I did step 1 till 4...

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Hi, I see the drive, that isn't the problem, it just don't want to start up from it ;(
[doublepost=1479754191][/doublepost]
It SURE would, I have got a (reformated) 32Gig USB stick in it now, if anything should work it's that! But I think I just forgot or didn't do just one thing right, that's why I said that I did step 1 till 4...
Be sure to follow the erase/format step correctly. Make sure it has GUID partition table AND only one partition. If it is something else, the USB media creation will still work BUT it won't be able to boot from it! Same if it has more than one partition.

MacWaZoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
Be sure to follow the erase/format step correctly. Make sure it has GUID partition table AND only one partition. If it is something else, the USB media creation will still work BUT it won't be able to boot from it! Same if it has more than one partition.
All of the above! Before people reminding me to do basic stuff (many thanks on that btw, you guys don't know me of course) I have been helping other people on Apple related problems since 1985 in my country but not here. Hence I just now became a member of this great forum! :)

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
All of the above! Before people reminding me to do basic stuff (many thanks on that btw, you guys don't know me of course) I have been helping other people on Apple related problems since 1985 in my country but not here. Hence I just now became a member of this great forum! :)
So what exactly happens when booting from patched USB installer? Your machine suddenly blinks off? That sounds like it could be hardware issue. If you boot from another USB installer containing a previous supported OS (maybe OS 10.11.x), does the same happen?

MacWaZoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
So what exactly happens when booting from patched USB installer? Your machine suddenly blinks off? That sounds like it could be hardware issue. If you boot from another USB installer containing a previous supported OS (maybe OS 10.11.x), does the same happen?
Yeah, it kinda 'sounds' like it just don't wants to start from a USB source (after selecting the USB drive Apple logo comes to the screen, when status bar comes up the whole system shuts down). But it did accept a USB source just a week ago for the initial Sierra update, so my thoughts are software, not hardware, really puzzled...

Machist

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Finland
There is two build in 10.12.1 update.
I download manually latest 10.12.1 update and when I try update it says "system is not supported"??

I try to run Touché:
"To run Touché, you must be running macOS 10.12.1 (16B2657) or greater. Apple released two versions of 10.12.1, and you are running the earlier one."

How I can update that manually??

Anyone?

I Have now build 16B2555 and I want update 16B2657 ??

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah, it kinda 'sounds' like it just don't wants to start from a USB source (after selecting the USB drive Apple logo comes to the screen, when status bar comes up the whole system shuts down). But it did accept a USB source just a week ago for the initial Sierra update, so my thoughts are software, not hardware, really puzzled...
Well, what changed since a week ago? I suggested trying to install from a known good USB installer. If it has trouble with a known good source, then it throws some suspicion on hardware. Even unsupported hardware should still be able to boot from the USB if only to tell you that you cannot use it.
[doublepost=1479765030][/doublepost]
OK I am new to this forum, but what does an iPhone OS has to do with macOS Sierra???
Restores relate to macOS because they are done through iTunes running on the Mac.
[doublepost=1479765323][/doublepost]
Anyone have problem with iPhone restoring? I have Error 11 in my iTunes.
I don't think the AUSEnabler should redirect iOS updates/software but it might. Try resetting to the Apple catalog.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
How you exactly do that? Do I need run patch (disable platform check) again? and then update?
No, you should not need to patch the update downloaded from the Mac App Store. If you are doing a new installation, then yes, you would need to run the post-install.

Machist

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Finland
Reactions: Brale

ac2334

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
I am on a mid-2009 MBP and I checked Ambient Light Sensor in Dosdude's patch. Without the patch after a fresh install I was noticing the screen brightness dimming on it's own after several minutes, but it got too dark (it was not acting as I normally would expect it to). Does anyone know if I need to remove the patch for the ALS now? Or is it fine to leave it? Does anyone with a mid-2009 5,2 MBP have the ALS working properly?

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
There is two build in 10.12.1 update.
I download manually latest 10.12.1 update and when I try update it says "system is not supported"??

I try to run Touché:
"To run Touché, you must be running macOS 10.12.1 (16B2657) or greater. Apple released two versions of 10.12.1, and you are running the earlier one."

How I can update that manually??

Still cannot install the standalone update to 10.12.1. Have modified the PlatformSupport.plist to include my Mac Pro 3.1 board ID and replaced MacPro6.1 with MacPro3.1, but it refuses to install. What else is the installer looking for and finding to prevent the install of this update.

Yes I have the AUSEnabler and App Store will let me update that way, but I have always downloaded standalones
and would like to continue to do so if that is possible.

Any ideas.

ta
You have to go into the package and modify the Distribution file to bypass the system check. I'd recommend just using the App Store with AUSEnabler, though.

I'm stuck at this point too as I would like to install standalones esp Combos in the future.
i suppose we could just download the full installer each time a new update is posted and install to the latest version
that way.

Reactions: Machist

Machist

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Finland

You have to go into the package and modify the Distribution file to bypass the system check. I'd recommend just using the App Store with AUSEnabler, though.

I'm stuck at this point too as I would like to install standalones esp Combos in the future.
i suppose we could just download the full installer each time a new update is posted and install to the latest version
that way.

Thanks for the tip!

1. I download update here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1897?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. -> Build 16B2657

2. Extract package: pkgutil --expand ~/Downloads/macOSUpd10.12.1.pkg/ ~/Downloads/tmp/macOSUpd10.12.1.unpkg

3. Modifiy Distribution file (TextWrangler): ~/Downloads/tmp/macOSUpd10.12.1.unpkg/Distribution
3.1. var boardIds = (add your board id here, in my case that is 'Mac-F42C88C8'). If you don't know your board id, you can check that IORegistryExplorer.app
3.2 var nonSupportedModels = (remove your model, in my case that is 'MacPro3,1')

4. Repackage:
pkgutil --flatten ~/Downloads/tmp/macOSUpd10.12.1.unpkg ~/Downloads/tmp/macOSUpd10.12.1.pkg

5. run update

Before update
Build1.jpg

After update
build2.jpg

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Thanks for the tip!

1. I download update here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1897?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. -> Build 16B2657

2. Extract package: pkgutil --expand ~/Downloads/macOSUpd10.12.1.pkg/ ~/Downloads/tmp/macOSUpd10.12.1.unpkg

3. Modifiy Distribution file (TextWrangler): ~/Downloads/tmp/macOSUpd10.12.1.unpkg/Distribution
3.1. var boardIds = (add your board id here, in my case that is 'Mac-F42C88C8'). If you don't know your board id, you can check that IORegistryExplorer.app
3.2 var nonSupportedModels = (remove your model, in my case that is 'MacPro3,1')

4. Repackage:
pkgutil --flatten ~/Downloads/tmp/macOSUpd10.12.1.unpkg ~/Downloads/tmp/macOSUpd10.12.1.pkg

5. run update

Before update
Build1.jpg

After update
build2.jpg

Thanks for this, I have given it a go but am getting stuck with saving the alterations to the distribution file.
Once I have modified the distribution file in Text Wrangler how do I go saving it so it saves as it was before
and not a .xml file as it wants to.

Last edited:

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Thanks for the tip!

4. Repackage:

5. run update

Before update
Build1.jpg

After update
build2.jpg

So I have got it to work.

Once I had saved the modified distribution file it was saved as a .xml file. I used the Terminal command chmod +x (drag and drop the .xml file) press enter, once the command has been run go to Finder and remove the files .xml extension, click remove when asked and the files icon should now be the Unix Executable icon. Proceed to stage 4 to repackage, and all should be well.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.