Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacWaZoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
At last I got my MBP up and running again. After trying 3 (!) other USB devices I bought the best one on the market, the SanDisk Ultra usb 3.0 64 GB and partitioned it into 3, one with Sierra install, one with El Capitan install and the rest for whatever. I rebooted the MBP and tried Sierra install first, but again the white circle :( After that I rebooted and selected El Capitan install and all went well! I got into Terminal and did a "csrutil disable" and a "reboot". So my hopes were very high! BUT after rebooting my keyboard and touchpad were still not responding... After taking a drink and thinking 'whatever' I rebooted again on the El Capitan install, looked into Terminal with "csrutil status" and it said disabled! So I rebooted again without selecting other drives and all is well again!!!
Sorry for the long read, but I hope this helps somebody else! :)

MacWaZoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
@MacWaZoo: I did not understand completely: So what do you think you did wrongly and improved later somehow?
I think the other USB devices just weren't good enough. Besides that, booting from the Sierra install didn't work. When I booted from the El Capitan install I got into my computer and Terminal again. So I could disable SIP. But only after checking if SIP was disabled (csrutil status) I got my MBP up and running again on Sierra 10.12.1 with a functional keyboard and trackpad. So I think I didn't actually do something wrong, besides buying a good USB stick I guess...

Pmt223

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
Hey there Dosdude and company, I've tried researching as much as I can. I cannot get the Sierra installer to load upon reboot. I create the USB, gets to complete, I get happy, I reboot, hold Option, select the Installer USB, gets a little past halfway loading and then I get the circle/slash. I've tried three different USB drives and all have the same result. I have a MBP 5,4. Am I missing anything? Doing something wrong? Are there any tips or alternate methods? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

brunsik

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
Hey there Dosdude and company, I've tried researching as much as I can. I cannot get the Sierra installer to load upon reboot. I create the USB, gets to complete, I get happy, I reboot, hold Option, select the Installer USB, gets a little past halfway loading and then I get the circle/slash. I've tried three different USB drives and all have the same result. I have a MBP 5,4. Am I missing anything? Doing something wrong? Are there any tips or alternate methods? Any help appreciated. Thanks![/QUOTEset ]

Set SIP disable

bigmacintosh

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
After lots of thinking and backing up my system, my MacBook Pro 5,4 (2.53 GHz Intel C2D, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M) is now running Sierra as its main OS (upgraded from El Capitan). It works perfectly (including trackpad, light sensor, and webcam) and after running AUSEnabler I was able to update to 10.12.1 with no problem and without having to patch again. TRIM support with trimforce is also still enabled.

My only concern is whether it's safe to keep FileVault enabled. I had to disable it on El Capitan before upgrading because the Sierra installer didn't detect the encrypted drive. I re-enabled it now and it works fine, but I'm worried that a future update like 10.12.2 can brick the system, requiring to patch from the installer disk, which won't detect encrypted drives. So I think I'll disable FileVault again if someone doesn't have a way for the Sierra installer to detect the encrypted disk and let me decrypt it.

The solution from this post could work: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-macs-thread.1977128/page-145#post-23841122 but it did not work for me (it detects the logical volume group, but not the logical volume), so I kept filevault disabled.

Last edited:

celadon

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2014
USA
Hello, I've been lurking on this thread. Just discovered it. Forgive me, since I have not read all 152 pages! ;)

I just wanted to thank Dosdude and the others who have helped make this possible. I am typing this from my 2008 Mac Pro in Sierra! The patch and installation went seamlessly. I followed the directions and they worked perfectly as expected. I can't be more happy.

The wireless card didn't work (as expected) so I used a USB adapter Edimax EW-7811Un. I downloaded the driver for El Capitan (didn't use the driver on the bundled CD) and it worked fine for Sierra. I just got this all set up less than 24 hours ago, so early days, but so far, so good!

I am curious—when dosdude says to use an external USB drive (which I did), does that mean that this process will ONLY work with a USB drive? My external drive has both Firewire and USB connections, and I usually use Firewire 800 (because it's faster), but I switched to USB for the Sierra installation.

The other thing I'm curious about. I have a partition habit. Lots of little partitions on my hard drives (and external hard drives) with multiple "just in case" installations of various Mac OSes (because some software runs on older OSes only). One of the first things I did was make a Carbon Copy Cloner copy of Sierra on a partition. This cloned version of Sierra does not appear to show up as a bootable drive when I go to System Preferences (to choose a hard drive to restart into) in Lion. It does show up in El Capitan. The Sierra installation that I did with dosdude's patch app does show up when I'm choosing which hard drive to switch to in Lion. If I wanted to boot into the Carbon Copy Cloner "version" of Sierra, I have to reboot and press the option key to get it to show up.

This is not a complaint or anything (I am BEYOND grateful to dosdude etc for making this all possible) but I'm curious as to why that may be.

Reactions: Brale

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Over on the macOS 10.12.2 beta thread, there was a post about firmware updates for various older Macs still showing up in the betas. Considering the similarities of hardware for some of these unsupported Macs and their supported siblings, are the changes being made to the installer files causing any of these firmware updates to run on unsupported machines?

On a side note, would be awful nice if Apple DOCUMENTED this stuff. Seems to me that some of the general spurious hardware issues the community has seen over the past several years –could– be explained by differences in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radio firmwares, caused by users dual booting or upgrading and then downgrading.

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
There is again an update problem with my Mac mini3,1 late 2009

I had the last beta3 of Sierra 10.12.2 installed without problems, the last time.

Now the Mac mini3.1 does not find the update beta 4 of Sierra 10.12.2
Gibts it with you no problems with the update from beta3 to beta4? Am I the only one ?
I have not changed anything, since the update on Beta3 on 17.11.2016

Well, the update sometimes a bit later here in Germany is ok, but since Monday is the update
available and today is Thursday, there should actually be now what to arrive.

MacBookMel

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
macOS Sierra on unsupported Macs
View attachment 637083
Introduction

For the first time since OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) in 2012, macOS Sierra (10.12) has changed the official minimum requirements needed for installation, leaving many older (but still perfectly capable) Macs behind.

• MacBook (late 2009 or later)
  • iMac (late 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 or later)
  • Mac mini (2010 or later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 or later)

This is a thread for people to discuss and offer solutions for newly unsupported Macs in macOS Sierra. This post will be updated with solutions as they become available.

Apple History

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) was the first version of OS X with support for 64-bit kernels, allowing booting with either a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel. However, Apple did not support booting the 64-bit kernel in Macs that shipped with EFI32 firmware, even if they had 64-bit processors capable of running the 64-bit kernel. When Apple dropped the 32-bit kernel entirely in OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), EFI32 Macs no longer had an Apple-supported mechanism to boot newer versions of OS X.

OS X El Capitan (10.11) includes SIP (System Integrity Protection/Rootless). It makes sure that system files and their permissions are automatically protected, and also updated during Software Updates. The Repair Permissions function is no longer available and access to system files that need to be changed may require disabling it.

Known Issues:
  • macOS Sierra dropped support for Wi-Fi cards (BCM4321) used in most 2008 and some 2009 Macs. A hardware upgrade is required to get Wi-Fi functionality on those models.
  • iMac8,1 - Volume control for the Built-In Audio device may work improperly or not at all.
  • Macbook5,2 - The trackpad is not configurable, it is detected as a regular mouse instead.
Models Tested:

kb3QFjw.png

Older Legacy Macs not in this table (including the MacBook2,1, MacBook3,1 and iMac5,1) can install Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9), and Yosemite (10.10) with MacPostFactor or OS X Extractor (noted in the spoiler below), but are not supported by OS X El Capitan (10.11) or later.

MacPro1,1 and 2,1 can run OS X El Capitan with the methods noted in the spoiler below, but are currently not supported by macOS Sierra due to a lack of SSE 4 support (the CPU can be upgraded but its firmware does not support newer SSE 4-compatible CPUs).

Current Development Files:

Kexts:
Legacy USB Injector Kext
OS X Extractor - Beta USB Kexts.zip (depreciated)

PlatformSupport.plist / InstallableMachines.plist:
Download Zip

Known Patching Methods (the important bit):
Automatic tools that can be used to install macOS Sierra onto an unsupported Mac.

Using @dosdude1's Patcher Tool:
Main Page/Instructions: MacOS Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs
Download: [Direct Download]

Enabling Updates:
Sierra does not allow updating to minor versions (such as 10.12.1) without modification.

Using @foxlet's AUSEnabler:
Main Page: AUSEnabler - FurCode
Download: [Direct Download]

Other OS patching threads:

macOS Sierra (10.12)
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and macOS Sierra - Mr, Zarniwoop

OS X El Capitan (10.11)
OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and El Capitan - Mr, Zarniwoop

OS X Yosemite (10.10)
OS X Yosemite on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X Mavericks (10.9)
[Guide] Installing 10.9 Mavericks on older Macs. - HackerWayne
Mac Pro 2,1 and OS X Mavericks -5050

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac - HackerWayne
[doublepost=1480528359][/doublepost]Has anybody tried to use a USB WiFi adapter instead of the builtin Broadcom BCM4321 card for WiFi,
such as the Glam Hobby 600Mbps mini 802.11ac Dual Band 2.4G/5G Wireless Network Adapter which claims to be supported on Mac OS 10.6 thru 10.12 ?
Does it work - e.g. on Macbook3,1 or Macbook5,2 ?
https://www.amazon.com/Glam-Hobby-802-11ac-Wireless-10-6-10-12/dp/B018TX8IDA/

virk

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Aachen
Hallo Pinarek: Ich meine: Apple released zuerst für Entwickler, dann (kurz) später für alle Teilnehmer des beta-Programmes. Das "kurz" ist jetzt halt etwas länger:)

Apple normally releases for developpers first, (shortly) later also for all participants of the beta programme, The "shorly" is getting longer currently, I think :)

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
Ja Virk ich weiß was Du meinst, ich bin kein öffentlicher Betatester, ich habe schon immer auch die Dev. Versionen auch geladen
Wie bestimmt auch viele andere hier. Und wie gesagt bei Beta1, 2 und 3 ging's auch ohne Probleme nur eben jetzt kommt die Beat4
Eben nicht.

virk

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Aachen
.... AUSEnabler...Ja, mag sein. Dennoch erhalte ich die updates erst, wenn ich auch das announcement gelesen habe, dass eine bestimmte Version auch für Teilnehmer des public-beta-Programmes freigegeben wurde. Das ist oft 1-x Tage nachdem es für Entwickler freigegeben wurde.

Question here: Did anybody, who has NOT got a developper account at Apple, already get 10.12.2 beta 4?

celadon

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2014
USA
[doublepost=1480528359][/doublepost]Has anybody tried to use a USB WiFi adapter instead of the builtin Broadcom BCM4321 card for WiFi,
such as the Glam Hobby 600Mbps mini 802.11ac Dual Band 2.4G/5G Wireless Network Adapter which claims to be supported on Mac OS 10.6 thru 10.12 ?
Does it work - e.g. on Macbook3,1 or Macbook5,2 ?
https://www.amazon.com/Glam-Hobby-802-11ac-Wireless-10-6-10-12/dp/B018TX8IDA/
I'm currently using an Edimax USB wireless adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MTTJOY/ . It's working just fine on my 2008 Mac Pro.

I anticipate that these USB wireless adapters would work on other Mac models.

I did try another wireless adapter which claimed to work in Lion (which I was also using) but it never would. I tried on multiple computers, same lack of functionality. But it would work in El Capitan (but not Sierra).

I can confirm that the Edimax (linked above) works in Sierra, at least for me.

vendini

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Question here: Did anybody, who has NOT got a developper account at Apple, already get 10.12.2 beta 4?
Still nothing via AUsenabler.
By the way, is it possible to receive the developper version with AUSenabler, if you activate your account on the AppleStore? Or only the public betas?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
Hello Virk and everyone else here .. now after I have pointed out, the update of the beta 4 with me yet (after now more 4 days after appearance) still does not appear to download, write at once many others, it With which also not yet comes.

This is good, at least some people report this, I thought I am the only one where the update does not come.

I guess the apple has screwed back to prevent us from non-developers from loading it. Because as I have now written more often, before in beta 1 to beta 3 gabs there no problems, one day later you could always load it without changing the AUSEnabler.

virk

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Aachen
@Pinarek: I just started a thread at mactechnews.de to investigate this "problem". On my computer here I am still running 10.12.1. The betas I only check occasionally on another system because it is beta :) So I am not in a hurry.
But maybe you are right and Apple kicked out all the unsupported Macs somehow :-(

Pinarek

Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
Wilsonville, Oregon
@virk.... thank you for your info .. yes I also read regularly MTN and look at the same time, what you wrote, maybe there's news.

I've also found a SWUS (soft-version-update-switcher) Switcher version 1.0.1 where you can also, similar to the dosdude1 select AUSEnabler if you want regular updates or beta updates or developer updates. Everything tested is not synonymous, there is simply no beta4.

Yes, with my two Hack-Mac-PC's there are no problems, immediately when the Dev.Updates come, you can load the there without any problems and without paid Dev.Account properly. Only on the orig. Macmini3,1 such damn problems.

UPDATE my Post:

@ Virk just read the article and the public beta 4 is now there .. then you would have to install the Public-beta-seedtool then and so try or?

Just installed: macOSSierraPublicBetaAccessUtility.dmg ... result
No updates available ... well then cheers and good night.

I prefer to stay with my high-performance Hackis, there everything goes 1a .. schit macmini3,1

Last edited:

virk

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Aachen
I still do not see beta 4. In mactechnews.de I noticed that beta 4 should be available for public beta users, too, but unfortunately probably not for unsupported Macs.

nikor58

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Italy
Hi,
congratulations to all for this job.
I made a clean installation of 10.12.1 on a Mac 5,5 without problems. All is working smoothly.
Just a question, checking the system by Etrecheck I found this as a unknown file:

System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.DD1.SIPLD.plist

Is it all OK? What is it?
Thanx in advance

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hi,
congratulations to all for this job.
I made a clean installation of 10.12.1 on a Mac 5,5 without problems. All is working smoothly.
Just a question, checking the system by Etrecheck I found this as a unknown file:

System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.DD1.SIPLD.plist

Is it all OK? What is it?
Thanx in advance
That's a LaunchAgent that I made that runs at every boot, and checks to make sure SIP is disabled (as having SIP enabled will cause your USB to stop functioning when running Sierra).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.