Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So you're claiming that the tinnny Note 4 speaker sounds excellent? It may be loud but it's horrible in my experience. Of course some people won't mind, or won't ever use it. If you intend using it then I would wager it's a dealbreaker.
I have the N4 and the speaker is great.

But you missed my point. Because you read on XDA that a few people felt the speaker was not to their liking and returned the n4 for that reason. Is that what you are basing your statements on? Because a few people on XDA felt that way? Thats not very accurate facts. In the links i gave you. People here on MR are having problems with their IP6...should we all assume everyone is having the same problem? Or should we all assume if a few people had a problem with say a yellow screen on an IP6...that the screens are all bad on the IP6?
Do you see what I mean?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1828770/

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That is not at all what he is saying....

He is saying forums are usually where people report problems, and that lots are not returning the note 4 b.c of the speaker based on a few forum post.

It is indicative that the loudspeaker is mediocre if there is a thread dedicated to it. Most people assume a mobile phone speaker is going to be average so for it to be that shocking people pass comment, and even return the phone, then it says a lot.

----------

I have the N4 and the speaker is great.

But you missed my point. Because you read on XDA that a few people felt the speaker was not to their liking and returned the n4 for that reason. Is that what you are basing your statements on? Because a few people on XDA felt that way? Thats not very accurate facts. In the links i gave you. People here on MR are having problems with their IP6...should we all assume everyone is having the same problem? Or should we all assume if a few people had a problem with say a yellow screen on an IP6...that the screens are all bad on the IP6?
Do you see what I mean?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1828770/

I have heard the speaker and it's poor. There are also videos on You Tube about it. It doesn't bother me, I don't own the phone and if you're happy with it then great. It is a fantastic phone, all I'm saying is that the loudpeaker is tinny. Many are.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It shows that plenty of people who value good sound are returning their Note4 purely due to the gnarly speaker.

That thread has two people who returned because of the speaker and one more who returned partly because of the speaker but mainly for other reasons.

Two or three people is hardly "plenty". You can find people online complaining about any product, can't draw any conclusion from that unless it's a very large number of people, which it isn't in this case.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That thread has two people who returned because of the speaker and one more who returned partly because of the speaker but mainly for other reasons.

Two or three people is hardly "plenty". You can find people online complaining about any product, can't draw any conclusion from that unless it's a very large number of people, which it isn't in this case.
True, but the Note 4 loudspeaker *is* tinny regardless. The 6+, M8 and Nexus 6 all put it to shame.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
True, but the Note 4 loudspeaker *is* tinny regardless. The 6+, M8 and Nexus 6 all put it to shame.

Not commenting on the speaker, just taking issue with that thread showing "plenty" of returns because of the speaker.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
It shows that plenty of people who value good sound are returning their Note4 purely due to the gnarly speaker.

...No....it doesn't.....

----------

Yeah.... I have seen some that say the speaker on the N4 is the best..... Then the next one says the opposite.

I don't think any objective person would say the Note 4 has the best speaker. The Note 4's speaker isn't even in the conversation of being the best. The HTC One has the best speakers hands down, followed by the Nexus 6. The Note 4's speakers don't come close to the quality of either of those (neither does pretty much any other smartphone).

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
...No....it doesn't.....

----------

I don't think any objective person would say the Note 4 has the best speaker. The Note 4's speaker isn't even in the conversation of being the best. The HTC One has the best speakers hands down, followed by the Nexus 6. The Note 4's speakers don't come close to the quality of either of those (neither does pretty much any other smartphone).
The M8 has the best speaker of any smartphone I have had. I have the 6+ and the N4. They both sound pretty damn good. Have you tested them yourself?

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
The M8 has the best speaker of any smartphone I have had. I have the 6+ and the N4. They both sound pretty damn good. Have you tested them yourself?

Yes I've tested them both, and neither of them come close to the sound quality of the HTC One or the Nexus 6. Those two are clearly at the top of the heap (with the M8 being on top). The Nexus 6's speaker isn't quite as good as the M8, but it isn't that far off. As for the 6+ and the Note 4, they aren't even in the conversation when it comes to speaker quality. They just don't come close to comparing to the M8 and Nexus 6's speaker quality.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes I've tested them both, and neither of them come close to the sound quality of the HTC One or the Nexus 6. Those two are clearly at the top of the heap (with the M8 being on top). The Nexus 6's speaker isn't quite as good as the M8, but it isn't that far off. As for the 6+ and the Note 4, they aren't even in the conversation when it comes to speaker quality. They just don't come close to comparing to the M8 and Nexus 6's speaker quality.
Well...... Having both side by side.... They are almost the same. I would give the nod to the Note 4.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Some folks on Android Central are having problems with their phone either powering off or suddenly rebooting. I was curious if anyone here was having the same problem.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Some folks on Android Central are having problems with their phone either powering off or suddenly rebooting. I was curious if anyone here was having the same problem.

Happens to my phone a couple times. Coming from a N4, this is not a huge deal. But still annoying :mad:

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

I've seen this on XDA as well, but my N6 hasn't rebooted a single time on its own. If I had to guess, it's probably related to a specific batch of emmc/dram modules as Moto used multiple vendors.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I've been using a new CM-based ROM called BlissPop today and so far it is the best I've seen for the N6. It has a lot of great functionality baked right in, including working root (looking at you SlimLP) and viper4android. The settings menu uses the dark material theme which is a nice change from the blinding white. Will be using this one until Slim gets out of alpha and into nightly builds.

Link to XDA thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/development/rom-bliss-pop-1-3-t2981970

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-24-22-45-13.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-24-22-45-13.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 83

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Get it while you can--back in stock on the Motorola website!! I'm using every bit of willpower I possess to not order it--want it badly but don't need it.

Must...resist...clicking...the.....checkout....button.....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Get it while you can--back in stock on the Motorola website!! I'm using every bit of willpower I possess to not order it--want it badly but don't need it.

Must...resist...clicking...the.....checkout....button.....
Use the force Tbayrgs.....use the force......

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
i saw a Nexus 6 in person today when i went to T-Mobile for another issue and gave it a bit of a whirl. Nice looking phone but damn....it is just so big. I mean it is massive and seemed bigger than the Note 4.
It made the G3 look small and i thought that was too big when it came out. After holding it, ive no desire to get one at all.....which is a real bummer that they went in that direction.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
i saw a Nexus 6 in person today when i went to T-Mobile for another issue and gave it a bit of a whirl. Nice looking phone but damn....it is just so big. I mean it is massive and seemed bigger than the Note 4.
It made the G3 look small and i thought that was too big when it came out. After holding it, ive no desire to get one at all.....which is a real bummer that they went in that direction.
Same here...i had the N6 for a week. Awesome phone....very fast very fluid. Love Android 5. But the phone was just so big. Bigger than my Note 4 and wider. That made it feel awkward to hold in my hand. Anyway it was the deal breaker for me....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.