Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Absolutely! I believe you're paying for the pure android experience and instant updates.

I can see where that's a plus having owned and still own and use a Nexus 4 and 7. I just don't think that's worth the price tag of this phone. My next phone will not be a Nexus.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I've owned every iPhone and Nexus smartphone to date. Both of these are simply exemplary, each in their own way.

If one makes the effort to be well educated on the phones and their differences you're assured a very enjoyable experience.

The keyword is "differences".

If comparisons and picking a "winner" are your priorities, then you're missing the fun of learning, growing and having fun while you're at it. :)

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I've owned every iPhone and Nexus smartphone to date. Both of these are simply exemplary, each in their own way.

If one makes the effort to be well educated on the phones and their differences you're assured a very enjoyable experience.

The keyword is "differences".

If comparisons and picking a "winner" are your priorities, then you're missing the fun of learning, growing and having fun while you're at it. :)

Off topic - Just wanted to mention that your last paragraph is a wonderful life lesson to live by.

----------

Just placed an order for the midnight blue 32gbs. Figured I have 14 days to like it or not.

Nice, let us know your thoughts.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Off topic - Just wanted to mention that your last paragraph is a wonderful life lesson to live by.

----------

Nice, let us know your thoughts.

Thanks but I'm a small part of me is having doubts. After doing a quick comparison between Moto X2 and N6, it seems most recommend the X2 over the N6.

Has anyone owned both devices that can perhaps shed some insight? I'm all about saving $$$ if it means there's no real big difference aside from Moto software.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Someone is offering me his Nexus 6 in exchange for my SGS5. I'd have to add 150€ too. It's the 32GB model.

What do you guys think? Should I do it?

I'm 90% happy with my SGS5. I think it has slightly better battery life (and replaceable for the future), better screen (brightness mainly), better camera and it's easier to carry around.

On the other hand, the Nexus has 3GB RAM, updates before anyone, is more fluid and has a better processor. But it's too big and more heavy than the S5.

I was also thinking of waiting for the M9 or G4.

Suggestions?

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Thanks but I'm a small part of me is having doubts. After doing a quick comparison between Moto X2 and N6, it seems most recommend the X2 over the N6.

Has anyone owned both devices that can perhaps shed some insight? I'm all about saving $$$ if it means there's no real big difference aside from Moto software.

I own the X2 and it is a wonderful piece of kit but to be honest, my liking the X2 has more to do with Lollipop than the actual phone. I'm a fan of big screens and the Nexus 6 is so similar in design to the Moto X2, that I would actually prefer the Nexus 6 over the X2

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I own the X2 and it is a wonderful piece of kit but to be honest, my liking the X2 has more to do with Lollipop than the actual phone. I'm a fan of big screens and the Nexus 6 is so similar in design to the Moto X2, that I would actually prefer the Nexus 6 over the X2

Would you not miss the X2 features (ok moto x) and adaptive display, location modes etc... ?

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013

Moto Software, Google Dialer, Google Voice/VVM integration into the dialer, camera, battery life and if you're not getting the pure edition no bloat. I also hate redundant apps so if you prefer google messenger you need to download it, etc.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
True Confessions?

I'm a Smartphone Addict, I am fortunate to be able to afford multiple lines and phones for fun, and staying current with iOS & Android platforms. Therefore I always have four to six different smartphones in use at any given time.

I never judge any phone based on reviews that are often biased, instead I research phones that are of interest to me, then purchase and use them for months before judging. There's nothing like owning the phone and using it in my normal day to day workflow.

I have owned and used both the X2 and Nexus 6 concurrently since their respective releases. Each has its pros and cons as one would expect. Voice commands and a "listening" phone are features that I'm not interested in. Yet for those that like that feature set, obviously the Moto has it in spades.

The Nexus 6 is my personal choice hands down. For the same reason I find my iPhone 6 Plus delightful... It's the larger spacious 6.0" display on the N6 that makes using it for my Internet Centric work and personal use, ideal. It's fast, smooth, and very reliable. A great companion to my iPhone 6 Plus.

Build quality of both my Nexus 5 & 6 models is stellar. Far better than many have reported. Therefore I'd say either the X2 or N6 are excellent choices.

My priority is getting the latest revs of the Android OS as soon as Google releases them, the Nexus 6 fulfills that objective for me without fail. :)

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
True Confessions?

I'm a Smartphone Addict, I am fortunate to be able to afford multiple lines and phones for fun, and staying current with iOS & Android platforms. Therefore I always have four to six different smartphones in use at any given time.

I never judge any phone based on reviews that are often biased, instead I research phones that are of interest to me, then purchase and use them for months before judging. There's nothing like owning the phone and using it in my normal day to day workflow.

I have owned and used both the X2 and Nexus 6 concurrently since their respective releases. Each has its pros and cons as one would expect. Voice commands and a "listening" phone are features that I'm not interested in. Yet for those that like that feature set, obviously the Moto has it in spades.

The Nexus 6 is my personal choice hands down. For the same reason I find my iPhone 6 Plus delightful... It's the larger spacious 6.0" display on the N6 that makes using it for my Internet Centric work and personal use, ideal. It's fast, smooth, and very reliable. A great companion to my iPhone 6 Plus.

Build quality of both my Nexus 5 & 6 models is stellar. Far better than many have reported. Therefore I'd say either the X2 or N6 are excellent choices.

My priority is getting the latest revs of the Android OS as soon as Google releases them, the Nexus 6 fulfills that objective for me without fail. :)

Great minds think alike

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Someone is offering me his Nexus 6 in exchange for my SGS5. I'd have to add 150€ too. It's the 32GB model.

I'm 90% happy with my SGS5. I think it has slightly better battery life (and replaceable for the future), better screen (brightness mainly), better camera and it's easier to carry around.

On the other hand, the Nexus has 3GB RAM, updates before anyone, is more fluid and has a better processor. But it's too big and more heavy than the S5.

Suggestions?
Yes....I think that is a great deal. Check eBay sale prices, and let that be your guide (I didn't....but I assume the difference is more than 150).

The m9 and g6 will be good phones, maybe great. I'll consider them....but I love my nexus 6 and pure lollipop.

Up to you. You won't be disappointed with the nexus 6....but no one can fully predict what those two upcoming phones will offer.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

i've owned both. the moto x (2014) was a bit of a letdown, especially considering how much i liked last year's model. the feel in the hand, build quality and hardware is all fine, but i had issues with the software. bluetooth pairing to my car never really quite worked, and the voice recognition was so much worse compared to last year's model (too many false positives, i just wound up turning it off). motorola's software, as minimal as it is, also doesn't really go well with lollipop (my opinion). the lock screen is a prime example. i never liked that there were two different lock screen setups to choose from; it would have been nice if motorola could have combined the two into one nice setup, but it just seems clunky the way it is.

now the nexus 6 i just picked up a couple weeks ago. i'm still within the return period (have until wednesday to decide), but i think it's going to be a keeper. bluetooth works well, and the complete stock android experience feels more coherent to me. it's a bit buggy, sure, but the overall experience is nicer compared to the moto x. the phone is quite large, but i've gotten used to it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Suggestions?

Since you 90% like the SGS5, what about the Note 4?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Since you 90% like the SGS5, what about the Note 4?

The guy made ended up making a deal with someone else for another phone + cash.

The Note 4 is cool but there's not too much difference in day to day use compared to the SGS5. I don't see it as a big change. The Nexus had the advantage of stock Android, lots of custom roms and quick updates.

My next phone has to be something different from Samsung.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nexus 6 speculation

lock screen is a prime example. i never liked that there were two different lock screen setups to choose from; it would have been nice if motorola could have combined the two into one nice setup, but it just seems clunky the way it is.

it.

What choice did you have ? On mine there is no choice of lock screens - just the standard lollipop lock screen, same as on the nexus 6. Is there a setting I'm missing out on?

Last edited:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
What choice did you have ? On mine there is no choice of lock screens - just the standard lollipop lock screen, same as on the nexus 6.

-

poor wording on my part. on the moto x, i always considered the active display as a sort of lock screen. take it out of the pocket, and it lights up. wave my hand in front of the phone and it lights up. and you can tap on notifications to read or unlock the phone. press the power button on the moto x, then it takes you to the standard lollipop lock screen. the two never really seemed to mesh well in my mind. lollipop also has a sort of active display called ambient display. you can choose ambient display or active display but not both.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
poor wording on my part. on the moto x, i always considered the active display as a sort of lock screen. take it out of the pocket, and it lights up. wave my hand in front of the phone and it lights up. and you can tap on notifications to read or unlock the phone. press the power button on the moto x, then it takes you to the standard lollipop lock screen. the two never really seemed to mesh well in my mind. lollipop also has a sort of active display called ambient display. you can choose ambient display or active display but not both.
Oh now I get you. Though I spent 10 minutes after reading your previous post going through my settings to see what I was missing lol.

Have noticed ambient display uses less battery in standby than active display.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Received my N6 today. Size isn't as bad I thought it would be. The one thing so far I have a problem with is the warm display. Aparantly, some devices suffer from this.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Can anyone confirm this is normal.
7ec4901d15245d803479364ad9b2e189.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.