Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Actually looking pretty good, like a larger HTC 10, and with a 3,450Mah battery and 1080p screen, I'll guess pretty sweet battery life.

OnePlus Three spec's = 5.5-inch AMOLED screen with a 1080 x 1920 resolution. Under the hood you'll find the Snapdragon 820 chipset with a quad-core 2.15GHz CPU and the Adreno 530 GPU. 4GB/6GB of RAM is inside along with 32GB/64GB/128GB of native storage. A 16MP camera will be found on back with an 8MP selfie shooter in front. A 3450mAh battery will keep the lights on, and a fingerprint scanner will be embedded in the home button. Android 6.0.1 is pre-installed.

[doublepost=1465339154][/doublepost]My biggest gripes with OPO are the slow Android updates. I recall Lollipop taking for god damn ever to officially make it out for the original One, like 6 months, or you could install the alpha CM11 at the time, which was pretty buggy until the bugs were worked out obviously.

This OnePlus Three will be lucky to see Android N within 90 days after the Nexus phones get it first in October, or you can install the alpha CM14 sooner on it, and live through all the kinks and bugs, that will have for a little while.

I thought one of the big features on these OPO phones being AOSP based, would have been super fast Android updates, not Nexus fast updates obviously, but at least faster than the skinned versions of Android like HTC, LG, Samsung, etc... but that hasn't been the case.

I'm liking the design. Specs look fine. Not sure I believe in the software yet.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I'm liking the design. Specs look fine. Not sure I believe in the software yet.

That's the big issue. Great flagship hardware for a budget price. Beautiful design.

But...software is really amateur for an official professional phone release. I'd rather Cyanogen be back on board creating a stable pro CM13S for this phone. Oxygen OS still seems like some weekend development project.

Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That's the big issue. Great flagship hardware for a budget price. Beautiful design.

But...software is really amateur for an official professional phone release. I'd rather Cyanogen be back on board creating a stable pro CM13S for this phone. Oxygen OS still seems like some weekend development project.
I am liking the design and specs so far for the OP3....it will really shine with CM13 on it! :)

Reactions: Tig Bitties

akimoriRyuuji

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
NFC?
Finger print?
5.5"? HD?
3000+ mAH battery?
12+ megapixel camera? stabilization?

And most importantly...
<$500? <$400?! SOLD.

Now I just hope that they support my carriers frequencies. And I hope poor old Canada doesn't get left out, either.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
This phone seems like an absolute beast. I could be able to buy it with the money from selling my S6 Edge+. But it would be sad to get rid of my Gear VR. And I'm a bit worried about slow updates.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's the updates that are worrying. Sure this will launch with 6.0.1 but given op2 only has a beta version of the software and OP 1 & OP X are stuck on lollipop with oxygen OS, there is a good chance android N will not be seen on the OP3 until May or June next year ....

Which kinda defeats the purpose when buying a device so close to stock experience ...

I also think 6 GB ram on a near stock device is utterly moribund given the vastly smaller overhead the system has. Even my HTC 10 uses on average around 2 - 2.5 max gb with system and a dozen multiple apps open, meaning 4 GB is more than comfortable, 6gb would be redundant other than for just spec whoring..

Last edited:

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
It's the updates that are worrying. Sure this will launch with 6.0.1 but given op2 only has a beta version of the software and OP 1 & OP X are stuck on lollipop with oxygen OS, there is a good chance android N will not be seen on the OP3 until May or June next year ....

Which kinda defeats the purpose when buying a device so close to stock experience ...

I also think 6 GB ram on a near stock device is utterly moribund given the vastly smaller overhead the system has. Even my HTC 10 uses on average around 2 - 2.5 max gb with system and a dozen multiple apps open, meaning 4 GB is more than comfortable, 6gb would be redundant other than for just spec whoring..

Is Oxygen close to stock? I've always thought it was more original.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Again, a big ugly camera centering the entire area of the back of a phone is such a terrible design and eye sore for me.

Personal preference I guess but I really hate when they are designing these beautifully slim phones, great metals and glass, and they slap a huge square right in the middle of the back of the phone and its ugly.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Again, a big ugly camera centering the entire area of the back of a phone is such a terrible design and eye sore for me.

Personal preference I guess but I really hate when they are designing these beautifully slim phones, great metals and glass, and they slap a huge square right in the middle of the back of the phone and its ugly.

I like the symmetrical design, whereas the iPhone 6 design is horrid and absolutely disgusting looking, with the camera shoved off to one side, and protruding out like that. Seems like an after thought in design, like they forgot to add it in the original design, and just throw it on there last minute.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't mind either.

I'm not a fan of this drive to thinness though. Saw some leaked images of the new Moto X and it too now seem to have abandoned its curvy thickness to go for a rather generic ultra slim with protruding camera hump ....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't mind either.

I'm not a fan of this drive to thinness though. Saw some leaked images of the new Moto X and it too now seem to have abandoned its curvy thickness to go for a rather generic ultra slim with protruding camera hump ....
My feelings exactly about all phones in general. I don't mind a little thicker (not too much though) phone if it adds a bigger battery and functionality.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I am interested to review this at least. I'm hoping OnePlus can restore the magic with this one.

If they just kept it updated, I think it would be a winner for most. With the 2, they've been terrible.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Software is an odd one for sure. Close to stock really should mean speedy updates.

But, after they ditched CM and enticed some of the PA team, I can only guess that it's a really small team they have. Now they've added the mid-ranger (X) it kinda feels like the next hardware is all that their team works on.

That's certainly how it felt owning the 2 which had some updates post-launch but then they tailed off (to work on the X and then OP3?).

As much as I like the Samsung hardware, the software situation eventually made me think twice and I always buy carrier-free. So, despite having the OPO, OP2 and OPX on launch, I'm hesitant despite the seemingly nice hardware/price.

Let's see if they've progressed and learned enough to solve the after-sales side of things.

Reactions: jamezr

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
If this has a microSD card slot, this phone will move into my "I'll consider it" list, after that, it'll be subject to camera quality.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
As everything is probably known by now, I am a bit disappointed of camera sensor, battery and missing SD card slot...
But let's wait some trusted reviews before judging

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I doubt that I will pull the trigger today, awaiting reviews as well. If it goes to backorder then so be it. I will just wait it out down the road if I am still interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.