Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I haven't been following the Snow Leopard news closely, what exactly are the speed ups? And has anyone posted numbers on time increase/decrease? I realize it hasn't been finalized yet, but at $29, I'm not expecting the speed increases that I saw from 10.1.5 to 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 (couldn't noticeably appreciate speed increases in 10.5).

Peaceful

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
I haven't been following the Snow Leopard news closely, what exactly are the speed ups? And has anyone posted numbers on time increase/decrease? I realize it hasn't been finalized yet, but at $29, I'm not expecting the speed increases that I saw from 10.1.5 to 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 (couldn't noticeably appreciate speed increases in 10.5).

They've added quite a bit about the speedups to apple.com over the last few months. It all starts here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
Although highly inconvenient it is still a very nice find! But I noticed that paths to network shares point to the volumes mount point.

IMHO Vista got file browsing right. You can do just about anything you want with files (exept make love). Group, stack, filter, cut/paste, merge folders, view exif/id3 tags in list view. The address bar is a combo click/type on any part of the path. Get to network resources quickly \\servername\sharename \\servername\printername.

Seems very trivial and important. I just cant understand why they dont put some effort into it. Perhaps Microsoft has a patent on some of those things.

No they don't....any other version of UNIX (of which OS X is a member) usually has an Explorer type browser included in the window manager...so I don't know why Apple doesn't take a cue from other UNIX versions and get a "real" file browser.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
We updated to 10.7 on 1 partition and noted that one game, a flight sim, had weird gpu elements. Anyone hear of this and why this would be?

Thanks

We're not even at 10.6 yet... how the heck are you on 10.7?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Great Depression 2 is on our doorstep-great time to put hard to get capitlal into a bunch of pointless retails stores-that will be empty
watch MS take this in the a** but deep-and with no lube
Even with all the extra copies of Windows sold to Mac Intel users-Windows net sales dropped first time in history-and it aint just the economy
the age of the dinosaur is finally coming to an end-slowly-but surely, as computing comes into the 21st century-19th century technology/software will be left behind

Uh... Apple opened their stores in a recession.

If you are willing to take a short-term loss for long-term gain, jumping into retail stores during a recession is usually the best time to do it. Property and leases are cheaper, and easier to keep them cheap as the economy recovers. Those lower costs add up down the road.

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
I recently discovered Path Finder - don't remember where in MR I read about it.
I'm testing out the 30-day trial version. You MUST try it.
Like you, I've always used Windows and when switched to a Mac in '05, this was one of the things that always bothered me - and up 'till today, I still can't feel comfortable with the Finder in the same way Windows Explorer is.
Cut/paste DOES work the way you want it to - I tested it.

Google "Path Finder for Mac" and you'll find the website. What it is, it's an alternative "Finder" program. Give it a spin, you might like it.

Good luck.

Agreed - it's a much easier transition for Windows users than plain Finder.

I use both platforms each day and I'd love to have an OSX version of Total Commander from Ghisler - it's terrific, but I thinks it's a Delphi app with no easy path to the Mac.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

MacRumors has received word that Apple seeded OS X Leopard 10.5.8 Build 9L30 to developers last night, including only a single documented change related to an issue with external monitors and waking from sleep mode. There are reportedly no listed outstanding issues in the latest build.

Apple's previous seed of 10.5.8 (Build 9L29) was pushed to developers just five days earlier, and the single increment in build number between the two releases suggests that Apple may be very close to completing work on what many expect to be the final update to Leopard before the release of OS X Snow Leopard in September.

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will be available to Leopard users for only $29 and will primarily incorporate "under the hood" changes designed to improve performance and stability.

Article Link: OS X 10.5.8 Development Wrapping Up?

Hopefully the external monitor fix they mention is the fact that osx 10.5.7 cannot currently display 1920x1200 on an external monitor connected through hdmi =\

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Nothing has been formally announced but the way I see is is that the stores will only offer upgrade discs that will either detect a Leopard installation or require you to provide one for verification. That's how it will work. Tiger users will need to get a updated Mac Box set (which won't be available initially, but will follow Snow Leopard). The way I have interpreted Apple's website is that the only retail copy will require Leopard.

Weather or not the disc has some kind of system checker is not known nor will it since the GM does not exist yet.

Good question; I know in the case of the uptodate programme from 10.4 -> 10.5, I had to create a image from the CD, delete the detection script then re-burn it so that I could do a clean install in the future.

I hope that Apple doesn't do something stupid like that because god knows I don't want to have to do an install of Leopard just so I can re-install Snow Leopard - or forcing users to upgrade when they want to do a clean install.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand

The first thing you'll notice is a much snappier Finder; no hangs or hold ups when a network mount disappears, file copying I have found is a lot quicker, Quicktime compression is alot faster than under Leopard, over all the snappiness I have found to be superior on Snow Leopard than Leopard; that's not to say that there were any problems with Leopard.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Uh... Apple opened their stores in a recession.

If you are willing to take a short-term loss for long-term gain, jumping into retail stores during a recession is usually the best time to do it. Property and leases are cheaper, and easier to keep them cheap as the economy recovers. Those lower costs add up down the road.

The problem with the Microsoft retail chain is that it fails to address what is wrong with Microsoft - their products suck; all the slick marketing in the world isn't going to change that fact.

Apple realised Mac OS 'Classic' sucked, and did something about it, they realised that their computers were hugely overpriced, and they did something about it. Apple has had a history of realising what products suck and did something about it - Microsoft refuses to be self critical so here we are, Windows 7, and still riddled from top to bottom with crud.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What random waking are you talking about? details please.
Read the thread please.

The problem with the Microsoft retail chain is that it fails to address what is wrong with Microsoft - their products suck; all the slick marketing in the world isn't going to change that fact.

Apple realised Mac OS 'Classic' sucked, and did something about it, they realised that their computers were hugely overpriced, and they did something about it. Apple has had a history of realising what products suck and did something about it - Microsoft refuses to be self critical so here we are, Windows 7, and still riddled from top to bottom with crud.
So have you even used Windows 7, once?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

I'd argue that things like Vista/7 are released because MSFT is self-critical... the catch is that there is a bunch of legacy that they are unwilling to ditch due to pressure from partners and businesses. 7 takes steps in the right direction to let them fix that in future releases.

Apple is still trying to make inroads into business, and as such are in a position where there isn't a bunch of legacy that will cost customers 'millions of dollars' to update.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yes I have, I have used the public RC along with the leaked builds. Same flawed UI, same crud still hanging around, same problems, same bugginess.

Why do you automatically assume that anyone who is critical of Windows is someone raving zealot who has never used Windows before?
You never stated your reasons why. I can't read minds, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.