Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
My biggest addition/change to Finder would be the information bar that Vista and 7 has in Explorer. No need to ever "Right Click->Get Info->Close." Just highlight the file and the file type, bitrate for movies, and most importantly, file size is all right there.

I was moving files yesterday painfully via my Flash Drive, having to right click and get info, adding everything up in my head to see how much more I could add before the drive fills, which brought me to another problem, that Finder doesn't let the file transfer process resume after you've emptied out the Flash Drive again.

If there is an option to do something with OS X's Finder, I would be grateful if someone would point it out to me.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
When Apple FIXES Leopard...

When Apple fixes this mess, I'll be less mad about no PowerPC Snow Leopard...

"Repairing permissions for “MacOSX”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BrowserKit.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Components/CoreMediaAuthoringPrivateComponents.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaAuthoringPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AVC.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/IIDC.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MPEGAudioDecoder.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MPEGLayer2AudioEncoder.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Tundra.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VDC.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaPrivate.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/LeopardPanels.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnnotationInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/AudioSettingsInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/DataRefInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/HintTrackInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/NetworkInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/SettingsInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/PlugIns/VisualTrackInspector.propPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTimeJava/QuickTimeJava.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTime3GPP.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeFireWireDV.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeH264.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeImporters.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeMPEG.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeMPEG4.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeStreaming.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeVR.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.webplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QTKitIBPlugin.ibplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Spotlight/QuickTime.mdimporter/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/iSightAudio.plugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAdvanced.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAdvanced.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTMediaKeys.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAdvanced.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTMime.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAdvanced.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTTransport.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTPlugIn.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTRegister.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTRegister.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTAbout.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTStreaming.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/QTUpdate.prefPane/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Components/AudioCodecs.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreAUC.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions repair complete
"

This is just ridiculous and is forever repeatable day after day after day.

And yes, it does affect the stability of these programs.

I used to be able to run Tiger for like 6 months without rebooting!
I find myself constantly repairing disk permissions or having program crashes in Leopard compared to Tiger.
And I even once did a clean install and re-installed all my programs. Still the same.
I can reboot to Tiger and my PowerPC Macs just work forever. Go figure.

Leopard is STILL buggier than Tiger and I WILL be thoroughly pissed when Snow Leopard is released and this mess is not fixed!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007

I find myself constantly repairing disk permissions or having program crashes in Leopard compared to Tiger.
And I even once did a clean install and re-installed all my programs. Still the same.

Leopard is STILL buggier than Tiger and I WILL be thoroughly pissed when Snow Leopard is released and this mess is not fixed!
Hah, looks like the log from my Disk Utility.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
When Apple fixes this mess, I'll be less mad about no PowerPC Snow Leopard...

"Repairing permissions for “MacOSX”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
(lots of similar stuff, just different file names)

Permissions repair complete
"

It does not affect the stability of those programs.

Can I be cheeky and ask if you have any idea what all of that permissions stuff that you copied and pasted means? You'll notice that the only difference on all of those folders is an extra letter 'l' at the start. If you understand permissions, you'd possibly realize that there is likely a trivial bug in the permissions fix code that is incorrectly identifying the symbolic link flag as being different from the original file, but the actual permissions are still correct. Fixing those permissions will not make one bit of difference to your system stability. It's a myth.

Not only that, but if there were a permissions problem, it'd certainly not manifest itself in random crashes. It'd be a failure to load a library at the same point in a program, time after time.

Leopard is stable. There are known bugs on certain hardware, and the new network stack is less robust when waking from sleep than the old one was. Mail is still the weak link in OS X, but it's better than it was on Tiger.

Your PPC Tiger Macs probably work better for longer because you use them less or because of some other factor, like the software you're using on your Intel Mac (VMWare or Parallels maybe?)

You don't need to be so angry. Tiger was good. Leopard is good. Snow Leopard will be good, and Apple are right to discontinue PPC support now.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
People who complain about Finder by comparing it to Windows file browser should take a look at the file manager capabilities of Linux under KDE 4. It's worlds apart from both Windows and OS X. You can even do bulk rename under file manager without any additional software. Linux has just gone way too far lately.
So if OS X should be stealing ideas from anything it should be KDE, not Windows.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
It does not affect the stability of those programs.

Can I be cheeky and ask if you have any idea what all of that permissions stuff that you copied and pasted means? You'll notice that the only difference on all of those folders is an extra letter 'l' at the start. If you understand permissions, you'd possibly realize that there is likely a trivial bug in the permissions fix code that is incorrectly identifying the symbolic link flag as being different from the original file, but the actual permissions are still correct. Fixing those permissions will not make one bit of difference to your system stability. It's a myth.

Not only that, but if there were a permissions problem, it'd certainly not manifest itself in random crashes. It'd be a failure to load a library at the same point in a program, time after time.

Leopard is stable. There are known bugs on certain hardware, and the new network stack is less robust when waking from sleep than the old one was. Mail is still the weak link in OS X, but it's better than it was on Tiger.

Your PPC Tiger Macs probably work better for longer because you use them less or because of some other factor, like the software you're using on your Intel Mac (VMWare or Parallels maybe?)

You don't need to be so angry. Tiger was good. Leopard is good. Snow Leopard will be good, and Apple are right to discontinue PPC support now.

You seem to know more about permissions than me, but guess what?

You're still wrong.​

I deliberately posted that permissions log after having a program crash repeatedly over and over and over. I was considering rebooting, but instead, I repaired disk permissions, and guess what? Fixing permissions stopped the program from crashing anymore.

Problem solved, but it took nearly 10 minutes!
That's just ridiculous. Apple needs to fix these things.

This was rarely a problem for me in Tiger.
Yes, Leopard still has problems.​

PowerPC users who paid $129 for Leopard deserve to have some of the Snow Leopard "BUG FIXES" in my opinion. Obviously, if you're an INTEL-only household or biz, you are tired of us PowerPC/Intel mixed use environments whining daily.

Sorry, deal with it, it will only get WORSE when Snow Leopard is released.
Especially if the latest version of Quicktime X or iTunes is not updated for Leopard!

If that happens, all holy hell will break out on this site!

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
You seem to know more about permissions than me, but guess what?

You're still wrong.​

I deliberately posted that permissions log after having a program crash repeatedly over and over and over. I was considering rebooting, but instead, I repaired disk permissions, and guess what? Fixing permissions stopped the program from crashing anymore.

Problem solved, but it took nearly 10 minutes!
That's just ridiculous. Apple needs to fix these things.

This was rarely a problem for me in Tiger.
Yes, Leopard still has problems.​

PowerPC users who paid $129 for Leopard deserve to have some of the Snow Leopard "BUG FIXES" in my opinion. Obviously, if you're an INTEL-only household or biz, you are tired of us PowerPC/Intel mixed use environments whining daily.

Sorry, deal with it, it will only get WORSE when Snow Leopard is released.
Especially if the latest version of Quicktime X or iTunes is not updated for Leopard!

If that happens, all holy hell will break out on this site!

Never had any program crash because of permissions. Even if you do, you fix your permissions ONCE and that's it. Unless you install more and more programs every day there's absolutely no reason to keep fixing permissions every hour.

And it's not Apple's fault that some 3rd party software messes up permissions while they install. No Apple app messes permissions during install.

And do you actually believe that permissions won't be an issue in Snow Leopard? They will be. It's UNIX.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Never had any program crash because of permissions. Even if you do, you fix your permissions ONCE and that's it. Unless you install more and more programs every day there's absolutely no reason to keep fixing permissions every hour.

And it's not Apple's fault that some 3rd party software messes up permissions while they install. No Apple app messes permissions during install.

And do you actually believe that permissions won't be an issue in Snow Leopard? They will be. It's UNIX.

Once again, simply NOT TRUE!​

In Tiger, if you fixed permissions, they were fixed. End of story.
If you installed a new program, yes, they could be messed up, but it was an easy fix and you were done with the hassle or crashing and it was fixed in under a minute.

Leopard is a WHOLE OTHER STORY... Permissions are never fixed, and that's even for Apple's OWN programs. Did anyone even look at the log? It's mostly APPLE programs and operating system related which affects OTHER programs! I could run Disk Utility to infinity and it STILL says it fixed permissions, but it never really does and it takes almost 10 MINUTES! LOL

WHY ARE PEOPLE MAKING RIDICULOUS EXCUSES for APPLE?​

It amazes me how the fanboys just make up any excuse to defend Apple, no matter how untrue it might be or how stupid the comment.

Do I have to like time/date like 5 or 6 Disk Utility logs in a row to prove my point?

SHEESH! Just admit it people, Tiger is more stable than Leopard. It's a problem.

If 10.5.8 is the last update and doesn't fix these stability & permissions issues, I will be the very first person here to laugh at all these comments here and criticize Apple again.

I'm actually considering DOWNGRADING back to Tiger one of my G4s which is technically SUPPOSED to be CERTIFIED to run Leopard, yet doesn't run it well at all.

I paid the same $129 for Leopard for my INTEL Macs as I paid for my POWERPC Macs.

I suspect there will be a class action lawsuit when/if Apple doesn't fix Leopard problems for PowerPC users and releases Snow Leopard for INTEL-ONLY. God knows there are enough sleazy lawyers out there, and all you have to do is add pissed off people to the mix and you'll have a class action. We'll see. I know I'm pissed.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Once again, simply NOT TRUE!​

In Tiger, if you fixed permissions, they were fixed. End of story.
If you installed a new program, yes, they could be messed up, but it was an easy fix and you were done with the hassle or crashing and it was fixed in under a minute.

Leopard is a WHOLE OTHER STORY... Permissions are never fixed, and that's even for Apple's OWN programs. Did anyone even look at the log? It's mostly APPLE programs and operating system related which affects OTHER programs! I could run Disk Utility to infinity and it STILL says it fixed permissions, but it never really does and it takes almost 10 MINUTES! LOL

WHY ARE PEOPLE MAKING RIDICULOUS EXCUSES for APPLE?​

It amazes me how the fanboys just make up any excuse to defend Apple, no matter how untrue it might be or how stupid the comment.

Do I have to like time/date like 5 or 6 Disk Utility logs in a row to prove my point?

SHEESH! Just admit it people, Tiger is more stable than Leopard. It's a problem.

If 10.5.8 is the last update and doesn't fix these stability & permissions issues, I will be the very first person here to laugh at all these comments here and criticize Apple again.

I'm actually considering DOWNGRADING back to Tiger one of my G4s which is technically SUPPOSED to be CERTIFIED to run Leopard, yet doesn't run it well at all.

I paid the same $129 for Leopard for my INTEL Macs as I paid for my POWERPC Macs.

I suspect there will be a class action lawsuit when/if Apple doesn't fix Leopard problems for PowerPC users and releases Snow Leopard for INTEL-ONLY. God knows there are enough sleazy lawyers out there, and all you have to do is add pissed off people to the mix and you'll have a class action. We'll see. I know I'm pissed.

You fix permissions with Leopard and they are fixed. The ones you keep seeing in Disk Utility don't mean anything. On Tiger broken permissions kept appearing after fixing (again fake ones). So it was the same as Leopard. And so far it's the same on Snow Leopard as well.

None of those programs listed in your "broken permissions" list crash or cause any problems during use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.