Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
O my goodness..... do I really have to create another thread for non stitched "panoramas"?

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Not sure about the last two posts but a reminder that this thread is aimed mainly at images created by stitching multiple frames together. Although something shot on a super wide angle and cropped longer than a 4:2 aspect ratio would be OK.
Does a fisheye lens count or do we really have to "stitch" things together otherwise it is not allowed?

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Does a fisheye lens count or do we really have to "stitch" things together otherwise it is not allowed?
Turn your ultra-wideangle (rectilinear fisheye as most extreme) to portrait and stitch 20 to 30% overlap. I do it all the time with my 16-35mm @ 16mm. Weak point of stitched panoramas are top and bottom edges cut tight if taken in landscape mode which is a more natural orientation to the photo flow, but portrait gives a lot of excess than can be cropped as appropriate. Of the 5 or 6 I am about to process, all were taken portrait except one where couldn't get good match points to link the last two frames, so took landscape as insurance.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Turn your ultra-wideangle (rectilinear fisheye as most extreme) to portrait and stitch 20 to 30% overlap. I do it all the time with my 16-35mm @ 16mm. Weak point of stitched panoramas are top and bottom edges cut tight if taken in landscape mode which is a more natural orientation to the photo flow, but portrait gives a lot of excess than can be cropped as appropriate. Of the 5 or 6 I am about to process, all were taken portrait except one where couldn't get good match points to link the last two frames, so took landscape as insurance.
I wasn't really asking how too...

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Took a few panoramas. This is the one where landscape saved me. The whiteish mist of water wiped out the necessary overlap control points on the portrait series.
This is the broad view from the Canadian side with International Bridge, Niagra and Bride Veil Falls, then ending with Horseshoe Falls.
Niagra Canadian Side 5 9000px.jpg

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
A fisheye counts especially if you crop it to something wider than a 3;2 aspect ratio.

I was referring to a 3;2 aspect ratio from what appears to be a normal or regular wide angle lens. Those would be more at home in the POTD thread.

Panoramas cover a much wider angle than regular images. Landscape orientation does not make it a panorama. The aspect ratio is also important Panoramas fall well outside normal aspect ratios of 5;4, 4;3, 3;2.

Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
There really isn't , it's just force of habit , I guess . I tried to upload a pano done using Affinity exclusively just now, but for some reason it wasn't uploading . Don't know if it's a MR issue or a someoldguyinternet issue (suspect the latter)

Reactions: Janichsan

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Had you exported the Affinity file into JPEG format? The native Affinity files won't upload.
Yeah , I won't try to upload anything but a jpeg scaled to 2000 pixels wide . Found out about Affinity files not uploading a while back . Right now , I'm leaning toward the problem being on my end , have to play around a bit tonight to see if I can find out what's up. Verizon upgraded my FIOS box and router a few weeks back and every now and then glitches pop up .

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
It's a photographic lens that yields images where straight features, such as the edges of walls of buildings, appear with straight lines, as opposed to being curved.
That is my point...

The term used was "Rectilinear fisheye."

"Rectilinear" lenses render straight lines straight.

Fisheye lenses give a Fisheye-type projection/rendering.

The term "Rectilinear fisheye" is inherently contradictory, unless there's something I'm not aware of, as a lens can't be both rectlinear and a fisheye(although perfect rectilinear wide-angle lenses are rare...)

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
That doesn't look like you're looking away from Albuquerque...looks like looking at south-west with Airport in the center?
You're probably right , being local . I was standing with the TV towers to my right . I've got shots to make a pano . looking from the other direction . I'll put them together tonite and get your opinion as to what exactly I was looking at . I suspect my sense of direction was thrown off by not knowing where I was going , plus the winding of the road on the way up .

Reactions: bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.