Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Canada Goose

PHD_6754-L.jpg

These guys are so common around here (it is Canada after all) that in some areas they're considered pests. But I like certain elements of this shot.

Last edited:

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Canada Goose

These guys are so common around here (it is Canada after all) that in some areas they're considered pests. But I like certain elements of this shot.

They're even common and considered pests in Kansas (trust me, the guy who owns the zoo I work at, a lover of all animals, pretty much hates them), but that is a great shot. The lighting is just about as perfect as you're going to get in a shot like that, and you've managed to bring a great level of clarity to the face without it feeling washed out. Contrast is so tricky with these guys.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Yep it's another picture of my dog. I've had a lazy day, what can I say....

13826756485_1499999eb0_b.jpg

Fujifilm XE1 with Rokkor 50mm shot wide open at 1.4

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
It was my fault fella. I put the wrong url in the first time.

Actually you stole my thunder, as I was preparing a photo of my own angelic dog to put up here, but I've decided to post him anyway :cool:

Cheers :)

Hugh

Attachments

• Sam Closeup.JPG
    Sam Closeup.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 86

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
He looks like a nice old boy.

13 a couple of weeks ago, but as he's half dalmation he acts like he is still 3 - still needs at least 2 long walks a day (couple of miles each) and plays with all the younger dogs on the field we go to.
In this pic he was sitting in the sun on charge before the next foray :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
California
YI'm loving your hummingbird shots. Really nice. Makes me wish that we had some more exotic looking birds in the UK.

Thanks, MacRy. Glad you are enjoying them. I feel fortunate to have them visiting me daily in the garden this spring. At one point last week, I saw five flitting about at one time. Some of them seem to have migrated on, though.

As Doylem noted (quite poetically), I'm sure there is an abundance of interesting birds and other wildlife waiting to be photographed in the UK. I, for one, would very much like to see a peregrine falcon's stoop. It was my many failed attempts to photograph what I thought was a red-tailed hawk (but which I now believe to have been a Cooper's hawk) in a nearby tree with a 135mm lens that eventually led me back to the hummingbirds.

I hung up a new hummingbird feeder this weekend. The birds haven't taken an interest in it yet.

Hummingbird Feeder by MCH-1138, on Flickr

D7000 • Nikon 85mm f/1.8G • 1/250 @ f/5.6

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Love it! Your dog has a beef with that Dandelion by the look of it!

He was running away from my wife because she had caught him eating the salad she had put out for our tortoises. He looks like he's having a go at the dandelion but he is actually eating lettuce. He's weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.