Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Here's my 2008 R6

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 93

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I ride (road) but I don't commute. It's a fitness thing for me. This will sound weird but my commute is too short to bike.

that makes perfect sense. it's not really worth it, if you can't get warmed up. unlocking the bike (out of the cellar) for a 5-15km commute on a road/race bike probably isn't worth it, if you're in good shape (especially if you have public transport options.)

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
that makes perfect sense. it's not really worth it, if you can't get warmed up. unlocking the bike (out of the cellar) for a 5-15km commute on a road/race bike probably isn't worth it, if you're in good shape (especially if you have public transport options.)

Not to me.

It may be a hassle getting the bike out, finding a "safe" place for it at work, risking traffic, etc.

Risk and reward. ;)

My commute is one mile, across a highway that has lights that won't change for a bike. The second half of the ride is down a road that's past a couple distribution centers and its always littered with garbage and pallet pieces. I'm not getting a flat for a one mile ride. It would be smarter to just walk. To get out the bike, check the tires, put on my cycling shoes, and carry my stuff just isn't worthwhile. Especially when they won't let me store it indoors near my office while I'm at work. You can call me snooty but I'm not leaving my bike on a rack outside.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

A 5-15 km commute sounds like a perfectly good distance for a bike ride. :confused:

If you're afraid of your bike getting damaged or stolen, just buy a cheapo single-speed and ride that when you want to ride, but you don't want to risk your "better" bike. I call it a "pub bike", but you can call it whatever you want. ;)

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
A 5-15 km commute sounds like a perfectly good distance for a bike ride. :confused:

If you're afraid of your bike getting damaged or stolen, just buy a cheapo single-speed and ride that when you want to ride, but you don't want to risk your "better" bike. I call it a "pub bike", but you can call it whatever you want. ;)

5-15 would be worthwhile for me. Like I said, less than one mile just isn't even worth the effort.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
5-15 would be worthwhile for me. Like I said, less than one mile just isn't even worth the effort.

I don't know, 15km is a 25 minutes ride.

It takes 10 minutes for me to get the bike out the basement. 10 minutes to get it back in. Which is 20mins vs. 25min riding :(

I usually won't take a bike out of the basement for less than an hour (30-35km on a road bike or 20-25km/MTB).

In fact, I can't remember the last time I road less than 1hr. Usually it's between 40-60km on the MTB (which I use more often).

It is sweet that you're 1 mile from work (assuming work is in a nice area.)

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I don't know, 15km is a 25 minutes ride.

It takes 10 minutes for me to get the bike out the basement. 10 minutes to get it back in. Which is 20mins vs. 25min riding :(

I usually won't take a bike out of the basement for less than an hour (30-35km on a road bike or 20-25km/MTB).

In fact, I can't remember the last time I road less than 1hr. Usually it's between 40-60km on the MTB (which I use more often).

It is sweet that you're 1 mile from work (assuming work is in a nice area.)

it's nice and it sucks. I'd trade a longer commute for a more fulfilling job. I think a one hour ride is the sweet spot for going hard and getting a good workout. That said most of my group rides lean towards two or three hours, which honestly can get a little boring. I'd rather ride harder for less than time than just put on miles for more time.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
it's nice and it sucks. I'd trade a longer commute for a more fulfilling job. I think a one hour ride is the sweet spot for going hard and getting a good workout. That said most of my group rides lean towards two or three hours, which honestly can get a little boring. I'd rather ride harder for less than time than just put on miles for more time.

actually, I have a 35-40 min commute with a 100m of elevation gain right at the end, which is excellent to wake me up in the morning. and on the way home, i can roll about 2-2.5km without really working, if I catch the lights :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
My job is 12 km away, and it takes me around 35 minutes there, and 40 minutes to go home.

But my bike takes 10 seconds to carry out of the house, and I ride it everyday. ;)

I suppose if my bike was buried deep inside my house, I wouldn't bother.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Got tired of my Jamis not performing the way I wanted it to so I sold it. Plan on putting my first 30 miles on her today :)

214rp6v.jpg

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 92

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
My regulars!

p4pb7347757.jpg

Best £70 I ever spent, never done anything to it, still runs like a dream and is the most comfortable thing in the world for kicking about south bank on a sunny day!

p4pb7112110.jpg

Retro build (right down to those old cult classic tioga DH saddle) mostly for my own enjoyment rather than having something 'current' but I've got some TF Tuned World Cup BoXXers (peaty Decals) and a TF Tuned shock on there too, so it rides like a dream, just a pity I left the nearby Lake District behind and moved down to London for a job... great for speedbumps?

2lvb981.jpg

The runabout, 2010 Norco Spade with a few upgrades on it, such an easy little bike to chuck about between London traffic, don't think it'd cope too well with the rolling hills of home though!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Yes! Right down to the carbon spokes and "Green" Sram red.

This is not the "Hot r Not" thread on the 41. But I'll just carry on the vainness from the 41. It's a not because he doesn't have new 2012 Red.

It's a really good thing that there isn't a voting system on BF!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I know I recently posted, but I just had to repost because I finished my first century today. 102 miles! Something checked off the bucket list. Did laps around Manhattan, took 8 hours in total, but at least I finished.

Pit stop pic.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.