Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
here's first of mine:

d7cc3b310f0e4cfb852cb0dcfcbb78cc_7.jpg

And here's the second one:

photo.jpeg

Last edited:

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I've got a 2011 Rockhopper on layaway right now. Couldn't pass up the offer of a $100 off. Can't wait to get it!

It's an awesome bike, super smooth and will ride over anything in its way. I love mine. Enjoy it!

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
It's an awesome bike, super smooth and will ride over anything in its way. I love mine. Enjoy it!

Well I had one until someone rear ended it on the bike rack one day. Insurance payment was going to buy one, but it got sucked into an emergency car repair. I got a great deal on a 2011 Rockhopper Expert that I couldn't pass up... :)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Nice bike!

I was hoping to find out it was a six series based on the color job. Still sweet though!

Give me some dollars and I'll have one of those too. :D Much too expensive for me - I'm still paying off a mortgage.

But I honestly don't think I'd do justice to a 6.9 - I'm not fast enough, and I seem prone to cramping calves at the moment, even despite my stretching and attempts at warming up. I'm thinking it might be a nutrition issue.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Give me some dollars and I'll have one of those too. :D Much too expensive for me - I'm still paying off a mortgage.

But I honestly don't think I'd do justice to a 6.9 - I'm not fast enough, and I seem prone to cramping calves at the moment, even despite my stretching and attempts at warming up. I'm thinking it might be a nutrition issue.

It very well could be a nutrition issue. Maybe try hydrating more and also getting some more potassium. Might help a bit.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Built this one way back in '98, long since had to give up riding, but rode it down to Cornwall for the eclipse..Came to me in a couple of cardboard boxes...a project that kept me busy after the death of my wife. Freezing cold that winter, but the end result was pleasing!

I love that bike! I found one when I was looking for a new bike and nearly bought it. The repairs were too extensive though. :( It is certainly a classic.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
It very well could be a nutrition issue. Maybe try hydrating more and also getting some more potassium. Might help a bit.

I'm trying potassium - we'll see how that goes. I'm going to try some e-load tomorrow. I've not been using that as I really hate the taste of that stuff. (yuck - so sickly sweet). :( Endura is also pretty nasty stuff too. I didn't go out for a ride this afternoon, I figured I'd rest it and go out tomorrow. I won't go as fast as I normally try to do. I normally try to average 30km/h if I'm not baulked by others and I feel comfortable with average cadence around 80-85rpm. It's been really cold around here too, mostly around 10ºC or less when I get home and go out, that doesn't help a lot.

I stretched out the leg last night quite a bit - when I went to bed I had my foot up on two pillows and the leg fully extended, that helped loosen everything up a lot, so when I woke up this morning I was feeling a lot better. This afternoon it was okay as well - I was rushing about, up and down, kneeling and all sorts of things doing a photo-shoot and no strange sensations.

This is doing one thing well - it's making me pay really close attention to my health. I'm learning a lot!

Apologies to others for the scientific/medical diversion - back to your normal programming! :D

Last edited:

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm trying potassium - we'll see how that goes. I'm going to try some e-load tomorrow. I've not been using that as I really hate the taste of that stuff. (yuck - so sickly sweet). :( Endura is also pretty nasty stuff too. I didn't go out for a ride this afternoon, I figured I'd rest it and go out tomorrow. I won't go as fast as I normally try to do. I normally try to average 30km/h if I'm not baulked by others and I feel comfortable with average cadence around 80-85rpm. It's been really cold around here too, mostly around 10ºC or less when I get home and go out, that doesn't help a lot.

I stretched out the leg last night quite a bit - when I went to bed I had my foot up on two pillows and the leg fully extended, that helped loosen everything up a lot, so when I woke up this morning I was feeling a lot better. This afternoon it was okay as well - I was rushing about, up and down, kneeling and all sorts of things doing a photo-shoot and no strange sensations.

This is doing one thing well - it's making me pay really close attention to my health. I'm learning a lot!

Apologies to others for the scientific/medical diversion - back to your normal programming! :D

Sounds to me like you're doing most everything right. Everybody is different though and there aren't usually cut and dry answers. Being that its so cold are you still wearing shorts are you wearing tights? I find that when I get really cold my legs tighten up and I even get cramps in my feet on longer rides. I'd recommend some leg warmers, tights, or long pants. I know long biking knickers/bibs are pretty expensive so I just use my regular shorts and a pair of under armour base layer cold gear pants over them. They are versatile and since they don't have a pad I can use them elsewhere too if needed.

ninn

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
Where did you get that bike stand? I been trying to find one here in the states, but it seems that its only out in europe.

I got it from a local store, Arkansas Cycling. Looks like they don't have it on their online store though.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Sounds to me like you're doing most everything right. Everybody is different though and there aren't usually cut and dry answers. Being that its so cold are you still wearing shorts are you wearing tights? I find that when I get really cold my legs tighten up and I even get cramps in my feet on longer rides. I'd recommend some leg warmers, tights, or long pants. I know long biking knickers/bibs are pretty expensive so I just use my regular shorts and a pair of under armour base layer cold gear pants over them. They are versatile and since they don't have a pad I can use them elsewhere too if needed.

I have been wearing bib-shorts on the warmer (relatively speaking) days, but long ones one the colder ones. Leg warmers are the only things I haven't got yet. Will have a look for some. Thanks.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm gonna be in the market for new tires soon. The general consensus on bikeforums is to use GP4000S's. Opinions?

That's the vibe I get everywhere but I put over 1500 miles on my stock bontragers without any pinch flats or otherwise. I've heard great things about gator skins too. Are you racing or just riding?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
That's the vibe I get everywhere but I put over 1500 miles on my stock bontragers without any pinch flats or otherwise. I've heard great things about gator skins too. Are you racing or just riding?

Riding 30+ miles per day. Plus, starting around next March, I wanna start racing. My front tire developed a tear in the sidewall at the ~1000 mile mark. My LBS (for those out of the know, LBS stands for local bike shop) gave me a gatorskin with low mileage on it for FREE. I wanna get rid of the gatorskin on the front and the cheap kenda (something like 27tpi) that I have on the rear and have a matching set. The kenda on the rear is starting to get significantly squared off. I think I should be able to end the season on the kenda and start next season with some nice new tires.

If you're wondering about the whole story on the torn front tire, here you go.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

I had Bontragers before - no issues with them. I have GP4000s now as you've probably noticed from the photo I posted earlier. They seem to be okay. I've been riding a lot in conditions after the big blast last week with debris everywhere, no punctures thank god! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.