Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Hey, how do you like your Allez? I want to get a road bike later on down the road, pardon the pun, and this one was recommended to me as being suited for someone who is about 6'3" and 245 pounds.

It's a great bike. I love it. I also happen to be just about the same size as you. I was riding my Raleigh when I was about 280 pounds. Now I'm down to 240. Got the Allez around 255. The only thing you might want to consider is a stronger rear wheel. I got a new one for the Raleigh as I was breaking spokes on the stock one and I just switched it over to the Allez. Once you break a couple it's pretty hard to get the wheel trued properly again without rebuilding it. I'm at a weight now though where the stock wheel would probably hold up fine for a while.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
It's a great bike. I love it. I also happen to be just about the same size as you. I was riding my Raleigh when I was about 280 pounds. Now I'm down to 240. Got the Allez around 255. The only thing you might want to consider is a stronger rear wheel. I got a new one for the Raleigh as I was breaking spokes on the stock one and I just switched it over to the Allez. Once you break a couple it's pretty hard to get the wheel trued properly again without rebuilding it. I'm at a weight now though where the stock wheel would probably hold up fine for a while.

Thanks. I have a Specialized Rockhopper 29er on layaway right now because my last one got crunched by a car... I would like to eventually get a road bike one day. Thanks for the info.

jypatl

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Replaced all of the parts on this bike been riding it since '09

IMGP3465.jpg

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Helix
IMAGE_88C841D8-A0DC-47F8-83EA-310F26507843.JPG

----------

Hey, how do you like your Allez? I want to get a road bike later on down the road, pardon the pun, and this one was recommended to me as being suited for someone who is about 6'3" and 245 pounds.
They are aggressive bikes.

Many bikes are suited for your height and girth. Wheelset is really the only thing weight is going to hurt. Most stock wheelsets, even $6000 carbon bikes come with heavy overbuilt tankish wheels.

----------

You ride, you're hot, apparently nerdy, and you mod(founded?) the other forum I frequent. Omg stop being perfect!

----------

My commute is one mile, across a highway that has lights that won't change for a bike. The second half of the ride is down a road that's past a couple distribution centers and its always littered with garbage and pallet pieces. I'm not getting a flat for a one mile ride. It would be smarter to just walk. To get out the bike, check the tires, put on my cycling shoes, and carry my stuff just isn't worthwhile. Especially when they won't let me store it indoors near my office while I'm at work. You can call me snooty but I'm not leaving my bike on a rack outside.
When I bike commute, it's 21miles each way, my bikes comes into campus and I park in my lab. Can't call you snooty.

I would love to be in your shoes. I would get me a vintage road/fixie/tourer with 28-32c beefy commuter tires and platform pedals and enjoy not burning gas. Then change into kit and go for a more athletic ride in the evenings and weekends on my normal road bike.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I am currently riding a Tommaso:

I don't have any pictures of the bike not being used..
bike.jpg

bike2.jpg

This seems like an appropriate place to ask for suggestions on a hybrid.

One trail that I quite enjoy riding gives me a flat on my road bike, due to a couple mile span where i'd need better tires.

Any suggestions? Most of the ride is road bike-able.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
My bike:

BMC Team Machine SLR 01
SRAM Red
Easton EA90 SLX wheels
Selle Italia SLR Xp saddle
Continental Grand Prix 4000 s tyres
6.39Kg ~ 14 pounds.

49240332.jpg

83728074.jpg

84790739.jpg

stage14cadelevansandbmc.jpg

P.S. No, i'm not Cadel Evans. :)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
One trail that I quite enjoy riding gives me a flat on my road bike, due to a couple mile span where i'd need better tires.

Any suggestions? Most of the ride is road bike-able.

Cyclocross bike? Kevlar-lined tyres on the road bike (like the Specialized Armadillos)?

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
i don't feel like going outside right now but: here goes.... 1969 rally bronze Huffy slingshot muscle bike. all original. and a 1954 schwinn racer 3 speed all original with ugly poop colored paint..... :) before apple products, my main interest was classic bikes!

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I'm looking to get my fiancee a bicycle for her birthday, but found myself sorta left in the dark out here :)...

Any city bike without gears would do. Any ideas folks please :D?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm looking to get my fiancee a bicycle for her birthday, but found myself sorta left in the dark out here :)...

Any city bike without gears would do. Any ideas folks please :D?

Lots of step through city bike options, all decent. Dunno about terrain in your area, but why limit her from having gears? Check out the Kona AfricaBike

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Duuude! You can ride that thing without pedals!? You're the bomb!

PS crosschaining like that will wear the drivetrain out faster.
Dude, relax, it's not my first bike.:)
I have just assembled the damn thing and i'm still waiting for the pedals, cyclocomputer and some proper equipment (long story, I just moved to another country).

Peace and butt grease!

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Lots of step through city bike options, all decent. Dunno about terrain in your area, but why limit her from having gears? Check out the Kona AfricaBike

Point is, she isn't too confident with the gears :D. Seriously though, since I do not know much about bikes, would gear be better?

The town has its streets SF-style, but the area we live in is mostly flat...

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Point is, she isn't too confident with the gears :D. Seriously though, since I do not know much about bikes, would gear be better?

The town has its streets SF-style, but the area we live in is mostly flat...
Since you're in SF you might give the folks at Public a visit. Super cute bikes (albeit a little spendy), and the models with the internal gear system are extremely simple to use and maintain. I commute on their d8 daily and love it.

And since this is a photos thread.. I am now home and with computer (couldn't figure out how to upload a photo with ipad), so. Edit.

photo.jpg

Last edited:

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I do lots of bmxing and was looking at this bike. Might get it when I get paid lol...... Only laughing because off the color but I think it looks sick

Attachments

• intense-crabtree-2010-bmx-bike.jpg
    intense-crabtree-2010-bmx-bike.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 85

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Since you're in SF you might give the folks at Public a visit. Super cute bikes (albeit a little spendy), and the models with the internal gear system are extremely simple to use and maintain. I commute on their d8 daily and love it.

And since this is a photos thread.. I am now home and with computer (couldn't figure out how to upload a photo with ipad), so. Edit.

photo.jpg

Thanks fellow MR member :D....Just saw your pic, these bikes are gorgeous....Will the see the price tag though heheh...Have to go with a Porsche runout for her birthday. Tough times :D

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Cant wait to get my Specialized Allez road bike but until then Ill use my Arrowhead GT. Great bike and it cost nothing!

e85b5e64d98211e1a98b22000a1e879e_7.jpg

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Mine - a Trek Madone 4.5, Shimano 105 (I might change that), SPD SL pedals and Conti GP4000s tyres. That's a Garmin 800 on it too.

I'm going to remove the Garmin speed/cadence sensor and replace it with the Bontrager Duotrap one that is nicely integrated into the frame of the bike - it looks much better without the cable ties. :cool:

Attachments

• madone45.jpg
    madone45.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 137
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.