Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Dude, I highly suggest you take that Mac mini off the subwoofer RIGHT NOW!!! Cool setup and all, but what were you thinking??? Steve Jobs would slap you...

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Also, doesn't the TV have a better resolution than that? or is it not an HDTV. It shouldn't look stretched... :-/

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Calm down, there is a glass shelf between the two. If the gaussian effect of the sub woofer is that strong then Harmon / Kardon have done a pretty bad job!

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Maxwell Smart said:
Also, doesn't the TV have a better resolution than that? or is it not an HDTV. It shouldn't look stretched... :-/

That is at full resolution, it is a normal CRT TV but it is setup to play back widescreen films and TV so it looks a lot better when running as a TV which is its normal job.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
mrogers said:
Wow, you keep your glass pretty clean then. I can't see the shelf at all in the picture.

If you look at the mini you can just see the bracket which holds the glass in place

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
This is me and the love of my life: my tibook. It's the computer I always wanted and now it's my only machine. Hopefully it'll last me a few more years

Attachments

• macrumors.jpg
    macrumors.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 287

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
ricgnzlzcr said:
This is me and the love of my life: my tibook. It's the computer I always wanted and now it's my only machine. Hopefully it'll last me a few more years
What about that iMac in the background? And nice computer, Tibooks are cool!

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
iBookG4user said:
What about that iMac in the background? And nice computer, Tibooks are cool!

I work in a Mac computer lab in college and we just upgraded our emacs to 20 new imacs. I used one imac to take a picture. But I did lie, I have a sawtooth powermac g4 coming in the mail to be a server for me and my roommates.

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
Veritas&Equitas said:
Do I sense a creepy, online, MR member attraction building?

Actually, no. I was just commenting on his looks. Nothing more, nothing less. If anything, there are far more creepier people on this forum who would probably think I'd be referring to a computer and not an actual person.

pixelbaker

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2006
yes, it's mismatched. it's a composite of PC remains and teh new hotness, but I love it all the same. maybe even more once Leopard comes out and I do a fresh install (hopefully the experimental switcher learning period will be over by then). maybe by then have an ACD or a some other more suiting widescreen LCD...
2002650732938290414_rs.jpg

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
livingfortoday said:
Dang, you're right. Is that glass balancing on the speaker? I can't see where it connects to the stand.

The stand has a large pillar at the back which the glass bracket connects too. There used to be two shelves but I took one out to get the sub woofer in, so if anyone wants a glass bracket for a Panasonic TV stand let me know!

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
My setup:

DSC00637_small.jpg

MacBook Pro on the left
Athlon XP3200+ running Gentoo driving the dual 2001FP dell screens
Old Inspiron 8200 running Ubuntu on the right, primarily for messenger apps and mldonkey
Under the desk is the athlon, my mini ITX web server and a Buffalo 1TB Terastation.

On my desk:
A couple of network hubs
HP 4700 PDA
iPod Nano
Sony Ericsson w810i phone
Logitech Z2300 speakers
Logitech MX1000 mouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard
iPod 20GB
Sony PSP
Walkie talkie so my wife can ask me stuff from the house :)

Oh, and my chair is about 15-20 years old and I am always saying I will replace it but have never found one as comfortable to do so.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Veritas&Equitas said:
Do I sense a creepy, online, MR member attraction building?
Not to steer the thread, but I have a creepy, online MR member attraction to another member here. It's purely physical as that someone is hot stuff, but I'll never say who. Not in a thread anyways.

Because then things would get weirder.

;)

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
R.Youden said:
Calm down, there is a glass shelf between the two. If the gaussian effect of the sub woofer is that strong then Harmon / Kardon have done a pretty bad job!

Subwoofers have very large, very strong magnets, and worse, they typically do not have ANY magnetic shielding. What exactly is the glass supposed to do, by the way? Didn't you ever put two magnets on either side of the glass and move one with the other as a kid?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
janstett said:
Subwoofers have very large, very strong magnets, and worse, they typically do not have ANY magnetic shielding. What exactly is the glass supposed to do, by the way? Didn't you ever put two magnets on either side of the glass and move one with the other as a kid?
I think he knows that the glass won't help anything. My guess is that he didn't initially understand the concern of the magnet, however I wouldn't worry about it much anyways. There is some amount of distance between them and if it hasn't damaged anything already, odds are it won't in the future. The magnet isn't getting stronger or anything…

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
someguy said:
I think he knows that the glass won't help anything. My guess is that he didn't initially understand the concern of the magnet, however I wouldn't worry about it much anyways. There is some amount of distance between them and if it hasn't damaged anything already, odds are it won't in the future. The magnet isn't getting stronger or anything…

OK, well I am an electronics engineer and as part of my job I design, yup you guessed it, speakers! So I do perfectly understand what the effects of magnets are on electronics. My comments about the glass was as a reply to the statement about the mini being on top of the glass, not on top of the speaker. As mentioned the gaussian effect from the speaker is an inverse square so at a distance of about 12" the effect frum the sub would be minial. Then you have to take into account all of the shielding around the mini and everything will be fine. Also the magnetic field is weaker in the horizontal axis at distance due to forces which wrap the field away from the magnet and back towards the oposite pole.

crashlock

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
UK
Old setup:
DSC03001.jpg

Most recent setup:
DSC03191.jpg

DSC03190.jpg

Will be updating the setup soon with a 20" Apple display for my PB and wireless keyboard. I'll put the PB under the desktop on the keyboard pull out shelf.;)

Also my Airport Extreme is on the other side of the room, but told me she's camera shy.:rolleyes:

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
R.Youden said:
OK, well I am an electronics engineer and as part of my job I design, yup you guessed it, speakers! So I do perfectly understand what the effects of magnets are on electronics. My comments about the glass was as a reply to the statement about the mini being on top of the glass, not on top of the speaker. As mentioned the gaussian effect from the speaker is an inverse square so at a distance of about 12" the effect frum the sub would be minial. Then you have to take into account all of the shielding around the mini and everything will be fine. Also the magnetic field is weaker in the horizontal axis at distance due to forces which wrap the field away from the magnet and back towards the oposite pole.
What he said. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.