Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
on android

pushbullet allows text responses from pc/mac and notification mirroring

airdroid allows you to answer calls on pc/mac, as well as basically full access to the device from the pc/mac

just saying

i leave pushbullet on all the time and use airdroid when I need it, I dont value the answer calls from pc feature very much personally and pushbullet is more lighweight

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
one thing to mention. On my Note 4 the back button is at the bottom right hand corner. Exactly where my right thumb is when i hold the N4. So for me it is perfect. I hardly have to move at all. For me it is easier than swiping as it takes less motion and effort.

While true, that would matter more to me if I used my Plus with one hand. Which I rarely do. Seeing that the Note 4 is just about the same size and weight of my Plus, I'd be using it mainly with two hands too.

machtv

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
on android

pushbullet allows text responses from pc/mac and notification mirroring

airdroid allows you to answer calls on pc/mac, as well as basically full access to the device from the pc/mac

just saying

i leave pushbullet on all the time and use airdroid when I need it, I dont value the answer calls from pc feature very much personally and pushbullet is more lighweight

check out mighty text. it does everything from text mirroring to phone calls works on any computer windows or mac. just as long as your using the chrome browser. so you can be at home, at work, or even on vacation.
been using it for years. i think it's even better than apples handoff

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Spine doc as someone who has owned both the note 4 and the 6 plus which has the better camera?

I've had both phones and both are really close in terms of camera. iPhone has better white balance and slightly takes better night photos, but when it comes to daylight photos, the Note 4 is much better. However, occasionally the Note 4 photos are oversaturated depending on the lighting conditions.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Spine doc as someone who has owned both the note 4 and the 6 plus which has the better camera?

I have both and I'd say they're both almost exactly the same. If I had to pick one camera overall over the other I'd pick the 6 Plus though because I think it's actually a little better/faster at focusing and takes a slightly better-exposed picture. OIS is also done better on the 6 Plus. That aside, it also does 240fps slow-motion, which is really neat. Don't care much for 4K video recording but it's there on the Note 4 if that's your thing. :)

I'll say this: if camera quality is a killer feature for you, then I'd say find something else to compare between the two phones because you can't go wrong with either case.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have both and I'd say they're both almost exactly the same. If I had to pick one camera overall over the other I'd pick the 6 Plus though because I think it's actually a little better/faster at focusing and takes a slightly better-exposed picture. OIS is also done better on the 6 Plus. That aside, it also does 240fps slow-motion, which is really neat. Don't care much for 4K video recording but it's there on the Note 4 if that's your thing. :)

I'll say this: if camera quality is a killer feature for you, then I'd say find something else to compare between the two phones because you can't go wrong with either case.
I was just curious. I've already made my choice. I went with the 6 plus. Had it almost a month now.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Name some other phones uses nano-SIM? You have to waste money and time go and get a nano-SIM (and hassle of adapter) to swap SIM card between phones.

Amazon Fire Phone.

Personally, I just bought a nano-micro SIM adapter for a few bucks on Amazon. I have my iPhone 6 for work and 6+ as my personal device. I never switch those out.

But I also have a tablet SIM (nano SIM from my old iPad) that I don't use in a tablet anymore so I stuck it in my "other" phones (Nexus 5, Fire Phone, Lumia 635) so I can use them more as well. At least data-wise.

The adapter means I can just swap whenever, which is nice for me because I swap them out a lot. Gotta have the nano-SIM to make that work in my case.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
A jailbreak is currently available that will let you change that if you're up for it ;)

I have not personally used jailbroken widgets, but they exist

I've jailbroken my iPhone, it's pretty awesome. It feels like iOS is so restrictive that you get more mileage out of a jailbreak than a root.

Do you have any info or links on iOS widgets? I'd love to check that out.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I've jailbroken my iPhone, it's pretty awesome. It feels like iOS is so restrictive that you get more mileage out of a jailbreak than a root.

Do you have any info or links on iOS widgets? I'd love to check that out.

Actually I think I'm wrong :( pro widgets was the big one but iOS 7 only

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I don't want to hijack the OP's thread so this will be my last reply.

- If using the home button to answer calls is useful to you then great but don't then turn around and cite it as a general plus over an iPhone. I use the home button/bottom bezel to pull a phone out of pocket and i'm grateful a call isn't answered automatically when i do.

- 5.5" vs 5.7" or 5.0 vs 5.2" is a similar comparison to 500 PPI vs 401 PPI (Note 4 is actually around 360-370 PPI btw). Its pedantic and meaningless in real-world use. Also lag has been found on Android devices by Android users themselves. Its not a myth.

- There's no issue with going back to a previous page on IOS, WP, webOS or Android. They all just do things in their own way.

- The HTC One M8, Nexus 6, Droid Turbo and Moto X all use nano-sims but thats not even the point. The point is sim adapters are as ubiquitous as sims themselves. I have about 3 sitting in my draw right now.

PS- GSMarena and Phonearena aren't unbiased sources. GSMarena heavily favoured Symbian until it died off. Now they're on the Android bandwagon. Citing them is the equivalent of citing Android Central or Android Authority.

Anyhoo, have a good one.

I agree with you on the PPI but not the bigger screen size. 0.2 inch is not insignificant. Visually you can see the different in size. And having a bigger screen in a smaller size (less bezel) is a plus point.

I said Note4 in general does not lag. Same with 6+. But there are situations when both phones will lag. So you are also guilty of regurgitate the same myth that all android lag and iphones do not.

Pressing home key to answer call is very significant for me as it allows me to answer call quickly one-handed on my Note 4. I know why you dismiss it as fluff at the first glance but if you have it then you will know how convenience it is.

The main point about nano-SIM or micro-usb is that Apple always want to go its way without consideration to users. Why does apple give you hassle when you use its devices like buying new adapters, cables etc.

Are you telling me Phonearena/Gsmarena are bias and Anandtech is not? :p

In my usage swiping in from left edge to right will go back in almost any instance on all apps. No need to reach the top left.

But not easy to do one-handed (worse with 6+).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

They both seem nice, in all honesty I haven't taken many pics with the ip6+ yet. The ip6+ is MUCH better at macro shots, the Note 4 was useless anywhere closer than 3 or 4 inches.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I agree with you on the PPI but not the bigger screen size. 0.2 inch is not insignificant. Visually you can see the different in size. And having a bigger screen in a smaller size (less bezel) is a plus point.

I said Note4 in general does not lag. Same with 6+. But there are situations when both phones will lag. So you are also guilty of regurgitate the same myth that all android lag and iphones do not.

Pressing home key to answer call is very significant for me as it allows me to answer call quickly one-handed on my Note 4. I know why you dismiss it as fluff at the first glance but if you have it then you will know how convenience it is.

The main point about nano-SIM or micro-usb is that Apple always want to go its way without consideration to users. Why does apple give you hassle when you use its devices like buying new adapters, cables etc.

Are you telling me Phonearena/Gsmarena are bias and Anandtech is not? :p

But not easy to do one-handed (worse with 6+).

Note 4 is consistently much more choppy with basic apps than the 6 Plus. I'm afraid the iPhone wins in that department by a long shot.

And about Anandtech being biased, dude, please just stop. It's getting more difficult to find a reason to reply to you anymore.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Note 4 is consistently much more choppy with basic apps than the 6 Plus. I'm afraid the iPhone wins in that department by a long shot.

And about Anandtech being biased, dude, please just stop. It's getting more difficult to find a reason to reply to you anymore.

>/dev/null

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I have used all 3 ecosystems and I have a MBP, Windows laptop + desktop, and Surface.

Lag is overrated. I no longer care about the 100ms delay I might see, even though it can be annoying. And iOS has a built in lag every time you press the home button, it takes longer than on Android and you'll be doing it a lot more, its never mentioned because its so common.

The extra 0.2" on the Note 4 is certainly noticeable, but only if you are coming from another big screen phone. For people upgrading to iPhone 6+ from previous iPhones, it won't matter, its a big jump anyway.

The truth is all these phones are great and its all personal preference and nitpicks. I can easily say that certain things on Note 4 make it better, and the same for iPhone 6+, and probably for Lumia 1520 as well. You have to try for yourself or decide which features are imp.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I have used all 3 ecosystems and I have a MBP, Windows laptop + desktop, and Surface.

Lag is overrated. I no longer care about the 100ms delay I might see, even though it can be annoying. And iOS has a built in lag every time you press the home button, it takes longer than on Android and you'll be doing it a lot more, its never mentioned because its so common.

The extra 0.2" on the Note 4 is certainly noticeable, but only if you are coming from another big screen phone. For people upgrading to iPhone 6+ from previous iPhones, it won't matter, its a big jump anyway.

The truth is all these phones are great and its all personal preference and nitpicks. I can easily say that certain things on Note 4 make it better, and the same for iPhone 6+, and probably for Lumia 1520 as well. You have to try for yourself or decide which features are imp.

I agree with this.

The one thing that is starting to really bug me on the 6+ however is the infamous RAM issue when it comes to browsing and apps staying in memory. I'm not too tech savvy regarding device internals but what I can say for sure is that I was startled when I borrowed my girlfriend's Z3 for some browsing last night.

I was starting to get a bit annoyed with all the page reloading so I tested her phone, and it could keep 3-4 quite heavy pages in memory with no reload, even when I went to other apps and back. My 6+ however reloads after practically every tab switch. I then tested this page http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-awesome-cross-platform-mobile-multiplayer-games/ and damn does it take forever to load on the 6+ so that I can properly navigate it. On the Z3 it's loaded in the blink of an eye.

I know this horse has been beaten to a pulp up in the iPhone forums as some people like to go sensationalist and whine in an exagerrated way, but becuase of that I hadn't paid much attention to it and honestly considered it bulls****. But to my surprise this is now starting to really annoy me a lot.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Its great you have got a feature that you find super convenient. Why is this option relevant to everybody though? I can answer my phone from the touchscreen and my home button is good for unlocking the phone. So what?

Its funny because out of the 7 Android phone's I have owned, only 2 shared the same type of cable. Apple has changed its cable once in 15 years and this was a vast improvement on the old style, so I really don't understand what you are getting at here?

I also don't understand the problem with Nano Sim? I was given a sim when my contract started and that is the end of it. Its not a problem. Its not like you start a contract and have to go searching for the correct type of sim card is it? In the rare event somebody chooses to change phones during a contract period, you phone your carrier and they send you out the correct sim card next day.

I think most of us here know full well you hate the iPhone with a passion. You spend every thread picking over the smallest details to discredit it, which is fine, but you have to accept and not get annoyed when others have made different choices to you. Your reasons for choosing a device will not necessarily be relevant as reasons to other people. We all use our phones very differently. It is clear from every review around that the Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus are fantastic devices and suit different tastes. They both have pro's and con's and its down to the user to decide what they can live with or without. That is all.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Its great you have got a feature that you find super convenient. Why is this option relevant to everybody though? I can answer my phone from the touchscreen and my home button is good for unlocking the phone. So what?

- Notifications on ios lock screen. So what? We are just fine with pulling down notification.
- Lightning connector that plugs in both direction. So what? Everyone can just plug in fine with one-direction.
- Tap to go to top of list. No, thank you. We can just scroll up list fine.

So what now?

Its funny because out of the 7 Android phone's I have owned, only 2 shared the same type of cable. Apple has changed its cable once in 15 years and this was a vast improvement on the old style, so I really don't understand what you are getting at here?

I also don't understand the problem with Nano Sim? I was given a sim when my contract started and that is the end of it. Its not a problem. Its not like you start a contract and have to go searching for the correct type of sim card is it? In the rare event somebody chooses to change phones during a contract period, you phone your carrier and they send you out the correct sim card next day.

I think most of us here know full well you hate the iPhone with a passion. You spend every thread picking over the smallest details to discredit it, which is fine, but you have to accept and not get annoyed when others have made different choices to you. Your reasons for choosing a device will not necessarily be relevant as reasons to other people. We all use our phones very differently. It is clear from every review around that the Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus are fantastic devices and suit different tastes. They both have pro's and con's and its down to the user to decide what they can live with or without. That is all.

I dont hate iphone. I just dont find it attractive to me. Maybe your love for iphone makes you very forgiving of all of its shortcomings and at the same time over-agitated and sensitive about a non-critical disadvantage of iphone like nano-SIM/micro-usb that you need to write such a long rebuttal.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
- Notifications on ios lock screen. So what? We are just fine with pulling down notification.
- Lightning connector that plugs in both direction. So what? Everyone can just plug in fine with one-direction.

So what now?
I think you have missed the irony of the point I was making there but never mind. My point was different features appeal to different people. I said 'so what' because it demonstrates a need for one person is not necessarily a need for another. Your list here just made my point all the more relevant.

From your short list though a couple of things stand out, and forgive me for feeling a little amused by it. Previously you argued the need for home button answering because it makes a task quicker on the Note, yet you have dismissed 2 features in that list that make tasks quicker on the iPhone. I think it is safe to say you are forgiving too in this instance because you prefer the Note. That is fair enough but you must realise you are just as guilty for doing these things.

I dont hate iphone. I just dont find it attractive to me. Maybe your love for iphone makes you very forgiving of all of its shortcomings and at the same time over-agitated and sensitive about a non-critical disadvantage of iphone like nano-SIM/micro-usb that you need to write such a long rebuttal
Err No. I don't have to be over sensitive about a sim card or a charging cable because neither of these examples have been an issue for me. I think this is the first time I have had to discuss it to be honest, although I could be wrong? That just shows how significant it is doesn't it? lol ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung Note 4 or iPhone 6 Plus? Foot in Each Camp...

I agree with this.

The one thing that is starting to really bug me on the 6+ however is the infamous RAM issue when it comes to browsing and apps staying in memory. I'm not too tech savvy regarding device internals but what I can say for sure is that I was startled when I borrowed my girlfriend's Z3 for some browsing last night.

I was starting to get a bit annoyed with all the page reloading so I tested her phone, and it could keep 3-4 quite heavy pages in memory with no reload, even when I went to other apps and back. My 6+ however reloads after practically every tab switch. I then tested this page http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-awesome-cross-platform-mobile-multiplayer-games/ and damn does it take forever to load on the 6+ so that I can properly navigate it. On the Z3 it's loaded in the blink of an eye.

I know this horse has been beaten to a pulp up in the iPhone forums as some people like to go sensationalist and whine in an exagerrated way, but becuase of that I hadn't paid much attention to it and honestly considered it bulls****. But to my surprise this is now starting to really annoy me a lot.

I just loaded that here from the link directly and it took less than 4 seconds to load the page fully and my internet is not the fastest in the world .... ?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I just loaded that here from the link directly and it took less than 4 seconds to load the page fully and my internet is not the fastest in the world ....

Using your 6+? With mine it takes me ca 15 seconds until I can reach the bottom, can scroll freely and there are no greyed out areas left. On very fast 4G data.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung Note 4 or iPhone 6 Plus? Foot in Each Camp...

Using your 6+? With mine it takes me ca 15 seconds until I can reach the bottom, can scroll freely and there are no greyed out areas left. On very fast 4G data.

Yep a 6+ but with our wifi - it's 10mb

Took like I say just under 4 seconds to fully load everything from top to bottom.

I also had 3 other tabs open in safari with tracking postal / courier stuff from earlier. With your page in the 4th tab I was still able to go back to the other tabs and then back to the new tab and didn't have a refresh issue.

Jumped back to mail no bother.

Only time I got a reload was opening up tapatalk afterward it refreshed content.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

So what now?

I dont hate iphone. I just dont find it attractive to me. Maybe your love for iphone makes you very forgiving of all of its shortcomings and at the same time over-agitated and sensitive about a non-critical disadvantage of iphone like nano-SIM/micro-usb that you need to write such a long rebuttal.

What makes your posts difficult to include in the discussion is that you claim that the Note 4 is so clearly better than the 6+. As you put it: "For me, it is no doubt Note 4 is better with overwhelming tangible evidences as follows:-".

But this is based on those many points which in reality are no deal breakers, no major issues that would make the choice clear cut for the average user. The 6+ has it's weaknesses, but is also has advantages.

If the choice is so clear cut for you, this tells us that the basis is rather a very clear preference for Android. And if you go into the discussion with that mindset, where's the value in even comparing? For you there seems to be no comparison really, so all that comes out is bashing of the competition. Which is of little use to anyone.

----------

Yep a 6+ but with our wifi - it's 10mb

Took like I say just under 4 seconds to fully load everything from top to bottom.

I also had 3 other tabs open in safari with tracking postal / courier stuff from earlier. With your page in the 4th tab I was still able to go back to the other tabs and then back to the new tab and didn't have a refresh issue.

Jumped back to mail no bother.

Only time I got a reload was opening up tapatalk afterward it refreshed content.

Hmm. I get this even when that page is the only tab I have open. Which model do you have? Mine is the 64 gb.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I tried the link but I don't have the same phone so not sure if it is credible for this thread. I loaded it on wifi and then with 3G and it took no more than 5 seconds. I assume the iPhone 6 should be comparable to the Plus for this? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.