Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I have a Note 4, and an S5 and at no point would I refer to either as a laggy mess when running dual screen.

That depends entirely on what the dual apps are doing. I can watch Netflix and post on this forum at the same time with no discernible loss in frame rate.

That's your opinion, which is basically meaningless in how anyone else uses their phone. I suspect that tune would change if Apple were to offer more robust multitasking in iOS.

Your limited scope in how to use a smart phone has no bearing on anyone else.

You know millions of Galaxy device owners. That's how many are out there.

Well on the iPhone and 95% of other smartphones out there, you don't have a choice, so yeah, that's the default option.

A smartphone should be smart enough to multitask. Windows GUI's have been present in computing for over 30 years...for a reason. People want to do several things at once.

My S5 was never laggy, nor is my Note 4 thus far, so I can't relate.

You want to talk speed? LOL really

While you are looking for a work around to share information between apps, I can drag and drop between windows, have dozens of interapp sharing options with one tap, or use the S-pen to extract specific information from anything on my screen.

That's speed while you spend an hour trying to figure out how to drag and drop (you can't) attach any content to an email, make a ring tone, share your location with screen shots, annotate images...you know all that smartphone stuff...

wow so you must have a magical Note 4 then and that it doesnt lag when ruunning dual window then, interesting :rolleyes: cause in store playing with the device after restarting it and closing all applications also and both videos on Youtube show otherwise

and what are you talking about? i can attach what i want to emails and do more, espcially being jailbroken, so while you have a dual window open and then when you actually need to read and see something important on the browser window, youll actually open up the browser window fully and then just end up reading whatever material you are reading in full screen

and that logic is fail, just because a desktop has been doing multitasking like that for decades and etc, doesnt mean it ports down perfectly to a 5.5 inch screen device, dual application windows and having multiple windows open on a 5.5 inch screen is just ridiculous and cumbersome, espcially when it lags and FPS drops when you have dual windows open. ever try windows on a very small screen? its just like that. are you really gonna be reading a book/article off the web/from some app while watching Netflix lmao?

and yeah... the 6 Plus and 6 both offer better in app performance with better browser performance and also offering better GPU performance and higher frame rate and graphical detail in games then the Note 4, (which also GPU performance applies to everything else too, 6 Plus having and being the more smoother phone overall in operation (although once in a while it can stutter)

the general consensus is that not much people want dual windows and multiple application windows on a small smartphone screen, it is only Galaxy users that glamor about this feature but then in the real world you ever ever rarely see anyone using that feature

and no i dont know millions of owners with the Galaxy devices, but me being a former Galaxy owner and also working at my office where a bunch of my co-workers have Galaxy devices and all of us conversating on a daily, not once have i ever seen them use that feature or even mention it to me, i never used it, my brother never uses it, when i see people on the street using a Galaxy device, I never see that feature activated on their screen from the seconds i glimpse at their screen.

its good to have options sure yes absolutely, but not when it is half ass implemented

but you must have a magical Note 4 then because just about every review mentions that the Note 4 has lag and random Touchwiz stutters and that it still suffers from the typical "galaxy stutter and lag" unless you root it, so congrats to you sir, you should send in your relevation to major news websites and tech websites, let it become a headline then if its true

work arounds in apps? iOS 8 extensions actually does a fantastic job, just seems to me that you have a clear bias against apple products now. lets be realistic here, 98% of people arent buying a Galaxy device for the multi window function or dual application windows

I dont know but you, but i dont want to have to operate with small windows on a small 5.5 inch screen, its counter productive really in a way and it can slow you down overall productively speaking.

and yeah we can talk about speed... while your Note 4 is close to dying while playing a intense graphically demanding game and while the Adreno 420 performance gets throttled back before it overheats, my 6 Plus is running extremely strong and smooth with much more battery life to go to run and also having much more longer lasting sustaining performance then the Adreno 420, in which the 6 Plus GPU and 6 GPU can run at maximum performance for much much longer then the Adreno 420 can, while also being more power efficient at the same time, same goes for other applications that use GPU processing in it

Last edited:

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Interesting thread. Ex iPhone 6+, now Note 4 user here.

There are a few things I miss about the iPhone, but in the big scheme of things, I haven't looked back. Of course there is the odd occasion where something doesn't respond instantaneously, but this happened more frequently on the 6+. Those claiming the Note 4 lags are dead wrong.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I use my Note 4 one-handed, I am typing this very post on it one-handed. I don't have huge hands at all.
It is possible to use the Note 4 one-handed, just a matter of getting used to it.

I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'm saying that most people most likely use phablets with two hands in most cases.

Also regarding the back button as I was discussing previously (use the back button on the Note versus swiping on the Plus), the scenario I was laying out had to do with if you were holding your Note 4 or 6 Plus in your right hand. If forced to use one hand I can easily go back with a swipe from the left edge to the right with my left hand. Again, I personally rarely use my Plus with one hand, but if forced it isn't too difficult to navigate back in iOS one handed.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Interesting thread. Ex iPhone 6+, now Note 4 user here.

There are a few things I miss about the iPhone, but in the big scheme of things, I haven't looked back. Of course there is the odd occasion where something doesn't respond instantaneously, but this happened more frequently on the 6+. Those claiming the Note 4 lags are dead wrong.

And so your saying from all the reviews of the Note 4 from major tech websites saying that the Note 4 does have some lag and stuttering issues still, somehow gets flushed down the toilet and that the note 4 seemingly doesnt lag even with simple operations?

out the box the Note 4 lags and doesnt perform like it should, tweaking it even non rooted can help a ton though (replacing Touchwiz launcher with something else, etc, developer options, ART Mode enabled) but it still doesnt help the GPU lagging in graphically demanding games or the Adreno 420 being pushed to the extreme when mulitple windows are open

Last edited by a moderator:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
common known lag issue for the Note 4 in recent apps draw, as many on these forums have also claimed with the Note 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZkqT_CItc

That's your example of lag? A very slight delay before the recent apps window opens?

I'll tell you what really lags though. Activate a few widgets in the Today view on a 6 Plus and try to scroll from top to bottom. It stutters so much that I get motion sickness.

And while we're on the topic of recent apps, one of the most annoying things on my 6 Plus is the double tap of the home button to open recent apps. 25% of the time the double tap isn't perfectly timed enough and it completely fails to activate. Try once more immediately and you might unintentionally activate inverted colors (or whatever you've set your triple tap to) instead.

You can post links to all the reported flaws you like, in the end if you just drop your personal preference for one side you'll see that there are just as many on both phones.

The Note 4 and 6/6 Plus are both outstanding phones and neither is clearly better than the other, they merely have different strengths. Trying to consistently bash one of them is nothing more than an expression of your personal conviction and only serves to drag these threads from useful discussion to kindergarten kiddy sandbox fighting.

EmmaBeth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Maybe not the best place to ask questions anymore, but...

1. Do any of the Note 4 owners use Evernote's handwriting feature? Does it work well? I'm constantly jotting ideas in a notebook, which means losing access to those ideas if I don't have the notebook with me. The idea of a notebook that syncs with the web seems almost too good to be true. Granted, the S-pen is still a long way from pen on paper, but even so...

2. For the iTunes users, how good is syncing to the cloud for albums purchased elsewhere? One very frustrating thing I keep running into is the tendency for any "match" type programs to divide some albums into fragments. For example, I have an Ella Fitzgerald album that Amazon decided was actually tracks from about four different CDs, because the same songs were included on those CDs. Granted, I can still listen by artist, but I still find this beyond aggravating.

I realize the cleanest way to get music onto either device is likely via computer, but sometimes, you just suddenly want to listen to a particular album on a given afternoon at work, you know?

EmmaBeth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
In my case, I'm coming from a two and a half year old Galaxy S3. Lag would have to be pretty debilitating for me to be truly frustrated by it. ;)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
That's your example of lag? A very slight delay before the recent apps window opens?

I'll tell you what really lags though. Activate a few widgets in the Today view on a 6 Plus and try to scroll from top to bottom. It stutters so much that I get motion sickness.

And while we're on the topic of recent apps, one of the most annoying things on my 6 Plus is the double tap of the home button to open recent apps. 25% of the time the double tap isn't perfectly timed enough and it completely fails to activate. Try once more immediately and you might unintentionally activate inverted colors (or whatever you've set your triple tap to) instead.

You can post links to all the reported flaws you like, in the end if you just drop your personal preference for one side you'll see that there are just as many on both phones.

The Note 4 and 6/6 Plus are both outstanding phones and neither is clearly better than the other, they merely have different strengths. Trying to consistently bash one of them is nothing more than an expression of your personal conviction and only serves to drag these threads from useful discussion to kindergarten kiddy sandbox fighting.

sounds like your 6 plus is defective then if your double tap doesnt work all the time, it literally works 100% of the time for me, and i already have a few widgets in my notification center, and my 6 Plus never lags or stutters at all, i have reduce motion on and reduce transparency and my 6 Plus is literally 110% buttery smooth all the time

and there is a bunch more videos showing off the lag of the Note 4, i just didnt wanna post all of them...and you must of clearly missed the link i posted with the Note 4 running Asphalt 8 and having FPS lag because the Adreno 420 struggles to run any graphically demanding games at quad hd resolution smoothly

most reviews from major credible tech websites mention Note 4 lag and stutters

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
In my case, I'm coming from a two and a half year old Galaxy S3. Lag would have to be pretty debilitating for me to be truly frustrated by it. ;)

That's a good point actually ;) And I'm guessing the same goes for screen quality/color accuracy.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
you actually need to read and see something important on the browser window, youll actually open up the browser window fully and then just end up reading whatever material you are reading in full screen

No you don't, Resizable windows...

are you really gonna be reading a book/article off the web/from some app while watching Netflix lmao?

Watching CNN and playing on my phone right now. Mind blown?

and yeah... the 6 Plus and 6 both offer better in app performance with better browser performance and also offering better GPU performance and higher frame rate and graphical detail in games then the Note 4, (which also GPU performance applies to everything else too, 6 Plus having and being the more smoother phone overall in operation (although once in a while it can stutter)

And you can't even make a ringtone. I'm impressed.

the general consensus is that not much people want dual windows and multiple application windows on a small smartphone screen, it is only Galaxy users that glamor about this feature but then in the real world you ever ever rarely see anyone using that feature

Don't forget LG.

and no i dont know millions of owners with the Galaxy devices, but me being a former Galaxy owner and also working at my office where a bunch of my co-workers have Galaxy devices and all of us conversating on a daily,

That's not a word

not once have i ever seen them use that feature or even mention it to me,

Anecdotal. Irrelevant.

I never used it

Irrelevent.

its good to have options sure yes absolutely, but not when it is half ass implemented

Translation: iPhone doesn't have it.

but you must have a magical Note 4 then because just about every review mentions that the Note 4 has lag and random Touchwiz stutters and that it still suffers from the typical "galaxy stutter and lag"

Irony
https://forums.macrumors.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=11520

work arounds in apps? iOS 8 extensions actually does a fantastic job,

There's like 2 extensions out there and 1 is Facebook.

just seems to me that you have a clear bias against apple products now. lets be realistic here, 98% of people arent buying a Galaxy device for the multi window function or dual application windows

Jamzer calls me an Apple fanboy. Does not compute.

I dont know but you, but i dont want to have to operate with small windows on a small 5.5 inch screen

I don't care about what "you want."

While your Note 4 is close to dying while playing a intense graphically demanding game

I play clash of clans for about 20 minutes a day. I'll manage.

and while the Adreno 420 performance gets throttled back before it overheats, my 6 Plus is running extremely strong and smooth with much more battery life to go to run and also having much more longer lasting sustaining performance then the Adreno 420, in which the 6 Plus GPU and 6 GPU can run at maximum performance for much much longer then the Adreno 420 can, while also being more power efficient at the same time, same goes for other applications that use GPU processing in it

I can drag and drop between windows, just like I could since windows 3.1. Don't worry, the 6+S might bring you up to 1992 next year.

And then there is the S-Pen...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung Note 4 or iPhone 6 Plus? Foot in Each Camp...

Maybe not the best place to ask questions anymore, but...

1. Do any of the Note 4 owners use Evernote's handwriting feature? Does it work well? I'm constantly jotting ideas in a notebook, which means losing access to those ideas if I don't have the notebook with me. The idea of a notebook that syncs with the web seems almost too good to be true. Granted, the S-pen is still a long way from pen on paper, but even so...

2. For the iTunes users, how good is syncing to the cloud for albums purchased elsewhere? One very frustrating thing I keep running into is the tendency for any "match" type programs to divide some albums into fragments. For example, I have an Ella Fitzgerald album that Amazon decided was actually tracks from about four different CDs, because the same songs were included on those CDs. Granted, I can still listen by artist, but I still find this beyond aggravating.

I realize the cleanest way to get music onto either device is likely via computer, but sometimes, you just suddenly want to listen to a particular album on a given afternoon at work, you know?

Regarding iTunes,

ITunes Match has been excellent for me and to be honest I also use Google Music Manager to upload some of my iTunes library to Google and it's been very good too. So now I have all my music synced via iTunes Match and about 6000 tracks with Google Play music.

I also have a full Google Play All Access subscription for getting new music.

It stutters so much that I get motion sickness.

Little chuckle at the exaggeration ;) :)

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Bahroo, don't even bother. Most of these people have never had a 6 Plus and so aren't even qualified to make any comparisons. They'll never change their minds, so just leave them be happy with whatever they have.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

+1

Well said.

I do find it intriguing the fact that you owned a 6 Plus is being ignored, and the fact that there are videos of the 6 Plus lagging, iPhone fans love cherry picking. :)

In the end these are both great devices, but both have plenty of flaws.

BTW, whoever said dual windows is a Samsung thing, LG and even Sony have their own implementations of this, but I guess the iPhone fans want to conveniently forget that.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Little chuckle at the exaggeration ;) :)

I wish it was :( Then again I'm very prone to it. In general though, don't your widgets stutter at all? It's fine when I have 1-2 active but any more and it happens all the time.

Bahroo, don't even bother. Most of these people have never had a 6 Plus and so aren't even qualified to make any comparisons. They'll never change their minds, so just leave them be happy with whatever they have.
LOL, I own one since a month and I've defended it just as much as I've criticised it on this forum.

My only point is that both phones have their respective issues, neither of them is significantly better than the other.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wish it was :( Then again I'm very prone to it. In general though, don't your widgets stutter at all? It's fine when I have 1-2 active but any more and it happens all the time.

I only have weather and calendar and day...

But if I enable all of the ones on mine including stocks, Dropbox, kindle etc... Then no - they don't stutter at all, they just look annoying to me , but they don't stutter if I scroll down through them at all.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
out the box the Note 4 lags and doesnt perform like it should

So says you......

My Note 4 doesn't lag.......I have both the 6+ and the Note 4.
they are both great phones. They BOTH have negative and positive features.

----------

LOL, I own one since a month and I've defended it just as much as I've criticised it on this forum.

My only point is that both phones have their respective issues, neither of them is significantly better than the other
some of us have both phones and can say without doubt they are both great phones through actual experience!

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
WRT Widgets.

I have 6 setup:
Gmail widget to the left screen (I disabled Flipboard Briefing)
The Time+Weather, News and Music widgets in the Main screen
The Today S Planner and S Note widgets in the right screen

No lag, even when I scroll through the scrollable ones e.g. Gmail, News (from Google News&Weather widget).

I wouldn't bother with widgets if it lagged.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
WRT Widgets.

I have 6 setup:
Gmail widget to the left screen (I disabled Flipboard Briefing)
The Time+Weather, News and Music widgets in the Main screen
The Today S Planner and S Note widgets in the right screen

No lag, even when I scroll through the scrollable ones e.g. Gmail, News (from Google News&Weather widget).

I wouldn't bother with widgets if it lagged.

We're talking about iOS 8 widgets though mate :)

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

But if I enable all of the ones on mine including stocks, Dropbox, kindle etc... Then no - they don't stutter at all, they just look annoying to me , but they don't stutter if I scroll down through them at all.

Hm, starting to wonder if I've got a lemon here. I did a hard reset and all the issues persist - widget stutter as well as Safari tab reload, and that page I linked earlier still takes ~15 seconds to load.

I'll give it a rest for a bit and try to let go of my concerns, maybe I've just entered "too picky-mode" and am being hypnotised by annoying details...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hm, starting to wonder if I've got a lemon here. I did a hard reset and all the issues persist - widget stutter as well as Safari tab reload, and that page I linked earlier still takes ~15 seconds to load.

I'll give it a rest for a bit and try to let go of my concerns, maybe I've just entered "too picky-mode" and am being hypnotised by annoying details...

Maybe do a full restore in iTunes but yeah I'm not having any of the issues your having at all. You could indeed have a lemon, but I'd do a restore in iTunes before anything else especially if the reset has done nothing to help.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

You speak as if this doesn't happen on the other side of the fence

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I have both. I am probably using the note 4 80% iPhone 6+ 20%. Continuity is the best feature of ios/iphone I find.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

My list of widgets:

Yahoo Weather
Bible
TeeVee
American Airlines
Stocks
Calendar
Sportscenter

I like having them all there in the notification shade tucked away but easily accessible from the lock screen.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'm saying that most people most likely use phablets with two hands in most cases.

Also regarding the back button as I was discussing previously (use the back button on the Note versus swiping on the Plus), the scenario I was laying out had to do with if you were holding your Note 4 or 6 Plus in your right hand. If forced to use one hand I can easily go back with a swipe from the left edge to the right with my left hand. Again, I personally rarely use my Plus with one hand, but if forced it isn't too difficult to navigate back in iOS one handed.
I use my note 4 one handed most of the time with side panel. Using side panel I can now grip tightly at mid point.

Anyway back to home key to answer. I can just take the phone out of pocket press home key and put phone to ear - all with one hand easily and quickly. Especially useful when you are holding stuff or walking. That's the plus point. Without this you need to free up your other hand just to answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.