Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hmm. I get this even when that page is the only tab I have open. Which model do you have? Mine is the 64 gb.

64gb silver here with around 32gb left...

It says model number MGAJ2B/A in general - about.

----------

I tried the link but I don't have the same phone so not sure if it is credible for this thread. I loaded it on wifi and then with 3G and it took no more than 5 seconds. I assume the iPhone 6 should be comparable to the Plus for this? :)

Yep should be its exact same chips inside ...

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I think you have missed the irony of the point I was making there but never mind. My point was different features appeal to different people. I said 'so what' because it demonstrates a need for one person is not necessarily a need for another. Your list here just made my point all the more relevant.

From your short list though a couple of things stand out, and forgive me for feeling a little amused by it. Previously you argued the need for home button answering because it makes a task quicker on the Note, yet you have dismissed 2 features in that list that make tasks quicker on the iPhone. I think it is safe to say you are forgiving too in this instance because you prefer the Note. That is fair enough but you must realise you are just as guilty for doing these things.

Nope. You read but you dont see. :p I wrote that to show your fallacy. You dismiss "home to answer" as irrelevant. By doing this at same time you have to accept all the points I wrote (otherwise I would have to call a big H ;) )

Err No. I don't have to be over sensitive about a sim card or a charging cable because neither of these examples have been an issue for me. I think this is the first time I have had to discuss it to be honest, although I could be wrong? That just shows how significant it is doesn't it? lol ;)

The fact that someone picked up the "micro-sim" sub-part of one point in my long list of points kind of show some desperation in trying to defend the 6+ against the Note4.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yep should be its exact same chips inside ...
Cool, its pretty quick then. Our works internet is about 3mb at the moment and 4G is only being trialled in certain areas of Cardiff, so I have 3G only at the moment. The strange thing is, if I go half a mile down the road there is 4G very near to Cardiff City's stadium, but then it disappears? O2 have said they haven't enabled it yet so hopefully I am not being charged extra lol.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Cool, its pretty quick then. Our works internet is about 3mb at the moment and 4G is only being trialled in certain areas of Cardiff, so I have 3G only at the moment. The strange thing is, if I go half a mile down the road there is 4G very near to Cardiff City's stadium, but then it disappears? O2 have said they haven't enabled it yet so hopefully I am not being charged extra lol.

4G is but a dream for me. Need to travel 2.5-4 hours before I'd find a town/city with it. :(

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Nope. You read but you dont see. :p I wrote that to show your fallacy. You dismiss "home to answer" as irrelevant. By doing this at same time you have to accept all the points I wrote (otherwise I would have to call a big H ;) )
I still think you missed the point mate sorry. You are more guilty than anybody here for pushing your favourite features as 'must haves' while continuing to make the point that the iPhone 6 Plus is inferior based on just that. I accept all your points because they are relevant to you, however I am not expecting my personal opinions regarding features to be deal breakers for other people. There lies the difference in our approaches. ;)

The fact that someone picked up the "micro-sim" sub-part of one point in my long list of points kind of show some desperation in trying to defend the 6+ against the Note4.
When you have users of both devices telling you on a thread that you are too biased with this comparison, I think that says a lot. Most people here are endorsing both phones as brilliant devices (myself included). You are the only person here writing long feature lists and attempting to discredit the iPhone, so for me I think where the desperation lies is abundantly clear. You have a clear biased preference for Android and that is great for you.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
64gb silver here with around 32gb left...

It says model number MGAJ2B/A in general - about.

Mine says model number MGAH2QN/A, I wonder if there could actually be a difference? I'll try restarting it as soon as I can and see if it persists then.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
4G is but a dream for me. Need to travel 2.5-4 hours before I'd find a town/city with it. :(
I have a 4G contract because that is all that is available these days, although you don't pay additionally for it now as it appears standard on UK contracts. I have no chance of getting it where I live either but I do have a fast wifi connection at home so its no big deal. At present at work my 3G is about 6.5MB but if I go around the corner its 44.69MB! I am sure it will come eventually and even in the hills we will finally join the 21st century :p

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Interesting .... Yeah I wonder if there is....

I began reading up a bit on the NAND issue and found this thread here on MR. I downloaded the app and ran it, and got these results:

Storage:

Write: 83 MB/sec
Read: 410 MB/sec

The 83 is almost three times lower than what some of the others reported. I don't want to read too much into this as I'm not very knowledgeable about these things, but it seems that there's quite a dif between units.

For Memory, I got a 1427 MB/sec Access Speed.

If you feel like getting the app we could compare our stats, it costs 99c though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung Note 4 or iPhone 6 Plus? Foot in Each Camp...

I began reading up a bit on the NAND issue and found this thread here on MR. I downloaded the app and ran it, and got these results:

Storage:

Write: 83 MB/sec

Read: 410 MB/sec

The 83 is almost three times lower than what some of the others reported. I don't want to read too much into this as I'm not very knowledgeable about these things, but it seems that there's quite a dif between units.

For Memory, I got a 1427 MB/sec Access Speed.

If you feel like getting the app we could compare our stats, it costs 99c though.

Ok downloading now, is there any specific test I should run when it installs ?

Ok here's mine

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418900804.750823.jpg

Though not sure how accurate it is - ran it a couple more times and there are variations rather than general consistency.... Certainly didn't get anything like as high as 640mb write though (8x 83mb)...

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Ok downloading now, is there any specific test I should run when it installs ?

Ok here's mine

View attachment 520179

Though not sure how accurate it is - ran it a couple more times and there are variations rather than general consistency.... Certainly didn't get anything like as high as 640mb write though (8x 83mb)...
Cool, thanks for checking! Yeah I got ca 83 every time for write too, small difs but not much.

What do you get if you run the RAM check? (it says Memory in the app)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have a 4G contract because that is all that is available these days, although you don't pay additionally for it now as it appears standard on UK contracts. I have no chance of getting it where I live either but I do have a fast wifi connection at home so its no big deal. At present at work my 3G is about 6.5MB but if I go around the corner its 44.69MB! I am sure it will come eventually and even in the hills we will finally join the 21st century :p
That seems odd that they would call your contract 4G if you do not get 4G.
Sprint here in the US used to have a 4G service and charge an extra $10 a month for it. Even if you didn't get 4G in the area you lived in. Then they stopped because of the backlash. I had service with them for a while but the service was very bad and cancelled. They actually refunded me all of the fees for 4G when i called and complained.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That seems odd that they would call your contract 4G if you do not get 4G.
Sprint here in the US used to have a 4G service and charge an extra $10 a month for it. Even if you didn't get 4G in the area you lived in. Then they stopped because of the backlash. I had service with them for a while but the service was very bad and cancelled. They actually refunded me all of the fees for 4G when i called and complained.
Well 4G is still in its infancy here and the networks have only released it in major cities and surrounding area's so far. Most contracts now classify mobile data as 4G and you don't get charged any extra for it. I connect to it a lot when I am travelling around the country and its a welcome addition when my phone picks it up. I won't complain though for obvious reasons. As the roll out continues I am sure I will get it all the time at some point. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Cool, thanks for checking! Yeah I got ca 83 every time for write too, small difs but not much.

What do you get if you run the RAM check? (it says Memory in the app)

1536 mb/s for the access

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
But not easy to do one-handed (worse with 6+).

Again, I rarely use my 6 Plus with one hand. And if absolutely necessary (very rare) I can do it. So the fact that I can't go back easily with one hand using my 6 Plus is literally a moot point for me personally. Yes, if you use your Note 4 or 6 Plus primarily with one hand then the Note 4 wins on that front. I'm willing to bet most people use phablets with two hands in most instances. (Unless their hands are huge.)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Again, I rarely use my 6 Plus with one hand. And if absolutely necessary (very rare) I can do it. So the fact that I can't go back easily with one hand using my 6 Plus is literally a moot point for me personally. Yes, if you use your Note 4 or 6 Plus primarily with one hand then the Note 4 wins on that front. I'm willing to bet most people use phablets with two hands in most instances. (Unless their hands are huge.)

I use my Note 4 one-handed, I am typing this very post on it one-handed. I don't have huge hands at all.
It is possible to use the Note 4 one-handed, just a matter of getting used to it.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
- Notifications on ios lock screen. So what? We are just fine with pulling down notification.
- Lightning connector that plugs in both direction. So what? Everyone can just plug in fine with one-direction.
- Tap to go to top of list. No, thank you. We can just scroll up list fine.

So what now?

I dont hate iphone. I just dont find it attractive to me. Maybe your love for iphone makes you very forgiving of all of its shortcomings and at the same time over-agitated and sensitive about a non-critical disadvantage of iphone like nano-SIM/micro-usb that you need to write such a long rebuttal.

Everyone and their grandma nowadays has a lightning cable laying around, micro-SIM its advantages actually too, and in Lollipop you wont be pulling down the notification center at lock screen anymore since Lollipop has lock screen notifications now pretty much exactly like iOS, its clear you spew diarrahea and hate about iPhone in seemingly almost every thread related to them,

And scrolling up the website on a large bit website is tons more cumbersome and annoying then having to just tap the top, what kind of logic do you possess(seemingly none)

Last edited by a moderator:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I use my Note 4 one-handed, I am typing this very post on it one-handed. I don't have huge hands at all.
It is possible to use the Note 4 one-handed, just a matter of getting used to it.

I can use both one handed but it is a balancing act for some actions that require reaching certain UI elements.

Not that big of a deal and the screen space is worth it.

Though floating windows, resizable Windows with side key panel really helps the Note 4 with one handed use.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I think these 2 phones comparison has been beaten to death. You decide for yourself. For me, it is no doubt Note 4 is better with overwhelming tangible evidences as follows:-

1. Screen
- Bigger 5.7in (7 percent more area) in smaller phone size
- Can use the screen with gloves.
- QuadHD (500+ vs 400 ppi on 6+), better color, constrast and sunlight readibility
http://www.displaymate.com/Color_Accuracy_ShootOut_1.htm

2. Camera/Video
- 16MP and 5MP wide-angle front (vs 8MP and 1.2MP for 6+)
- upto 4K video with stereo sound record (vs 1080p mono)
- camera software with full manual settings control and many more shooting mode (e.g. selective focus, dual camera shot, super wide angle etc)
- Better camera overall (front & back):
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/C...peria-Z3-LG-G3-Galaxy-S5-Galaxy-Note-3_id3822
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Note...ptical-Image-Stabilization-comparison_id63122
http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...3-vs-Xperia-Z3-vs-Galaxy-S5-vs-One-M8_id63221
http://www.straitstimes.com/digital...galaxy-note-4-vs-apple-iphone-6-plus-20141016
http://www.imore.com/iphone-6-plus-vs-galaxy-note-4-camera-comparison
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/11/08/samsung-galaxy-note-4-vs-iphone-6-plus-camera-comparison/

3. Battery
- Better battery life (from these reviews)
http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_6_plus_vs_galaxy_note_4-review-1161p3.php
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-vs-Apple-iPhone-6-Plus_id3815/page/4
- Removable battery (for uninterrupted use + cheap to replace)
- fast charging (50% in half-hour) and super-power saver mode (last upto 24hrs on 10% battery)

4. Hardware
- 160Gb memory with 128Gb SD card at fraction of cost compared to 6+.
- USB Host: plug in disk/thumbdrive directly to phone and use as drives. Also compatible with other USB plug-play devices like keyboard, game controller etc.
- DLNA/Miracast/MHL to stream media or mirror screen at full resolution to compatible TV without need for expensive and bulky AppleTV box.
- Unrestricted NFC for 3rd party customization. e.g tap NFC sticker in car will auto turn on BT, start music playing, set the phone to "drive" mode and activate turn-by-turn navigation app.
- Unrestricted WIFI-Direct and BT-transfer support to easily share files between heterogenous phone platforms.
- IR Blaster - universal infra-red remote control
- Heart, Sp02 and ultra-violet sensor for health
- Uses non-proprietary micro-USB (i.e. easily available cables) and micro-SIM (easy swapping of SIM card)
- Multi-use LED light indicator for events (missed call/sms etc). Also can have repeated sound reminders for missed call/sms/calendar/other events.
- Dedicated Back + multi-task key to easily navigate UI.

4. S-Pen + Nice to Have
- Pressure sensitive hand writing with S-Pen. Easily take note anywhere by just sliding out pen. Drag selection of text/clip image easily. Advance copy-paste and OCR.
- Smart Stay will keep the screen on if it detects that you are looking at the screen. Smart Rotation to rotate the screen based on the orientation of your eyes and sensor. Reduces all the unwanted screen rotations.
- Motion/Gesture control - flip over to silent sound, tilt to zoom, shake to unlock phone, etc
- Answer phone by pressing Home key.
- Always listening mode for Google Now/S-Voice (i.e. can wakeup phone from standby with voice). Other like sound/baby detector. Sound activated camera.

5. Multi-tasking + Multi-Windows
- Run multiple apps in multiple windows at same time. Popup window for video playback or chat session.
- Good multi-tasking performance (vs 6+) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVkaY-F6Zhs
- Intent/event activated multi-tasking. The ability of apps to auto-run in the background when certain events (e.g. receive sms, calendar etc) happen is sorely lacking in iOS. With this capability there are thousands of automation scenarios that can be done in Note 4 but not in 6+. Just a few examples:
* when a call is started/received, a call recording app is automatically activated to record the ongoing conversation.
* when the cell ID changes to one near the location of pickup, the app will auto send an SMS to the person to get ready.
* when an sms arrives from a business contact, an app will write the sms details into a shared google calendar so other people can see.
* when a calendar meeting event starts/ends, an app will auto turn the phone to vibrate and back again. Another app will auto send SMS wishes if those events are birthday/anniversary.
* Set phone to only allows calls from "Family" contact group from 12-7am. Plus auto reject any calls that is in the blacklist. You can set-up multiple schedules (much more advance "do not disturb")

6. User Interface + Customization
- Many Launchers + Theming capability
- Able to SEAMLESSLY replace any stock apps with 3rd party apps to upgrade or improve functionalities.
- Faster scrolling speed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1GDLunomY
- Able to set a reading font size in browser. When zoomed in, text always appear at this specified font size. Text is also reflow to fit the screen for easy reading without side-scrolling.
- Supports many more media format (avi, mkv, divx) directly without tedious conversion via Itunes. (i.e. transfer files into phone storage via bt,wifi,cloud etc and play).
- Ability to attach multiple files of any types to email (incl. re-edit re-attach). Ability to edit/view any attachments as long as there is a installed app that handles the file type.
- File Systems - Files copied to phone storage are accessible by any built-in/3rd party apps. Includes ability to download/save any files from any sources (browser, apps etc) into the phone storage.
- Easily share any files/contents via any registered share providers (BT, Wifi, cloud storages, social networks, usb etc). You can add new share streams easily (by installing apps).
- Direct dial/sms with picture icon on desktop or in folder for quick one touch operation. Plus ability to create shortcuts to any files/contents for quick one-touch access.
- Ability to use "live" wallpaper (in both lock and main screen) or ability to auto-change static wallpaper periodically. Plus use transparent icons without labels on desktop screen.
- Easily set custom ringtone. Just copy rintone files to phone via any available means (bt, wifi, cloud etc). It will show up in ringtone selection. No need to go thru tedious stps (like in iOS)

6 plus and Note 4 have generally same multitasking performance, go see Phoneareanas test of the 6 Plus vs the Note 4 when launching a ton of apps and then going back to then , Plus only lost by one second.

The Note 4 front camera is most certainly not better; it is ever so slightly sharper but fails with the colors and gives off a much more ton cooler picture then it is real life, the 6 Plus front camera easily is better

Wrong:

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

The i6 and i6 Plus have the best smartphone cameras on the market right now that offer better white balance, faster focusing speed and better lowlight performance and also better flash performance then the note 4(dont let the 16 megapixel moniker fool you, in reality your only shooting 12 megapixels or so to get a 16:9 photo) just because the Note 4 may have a higher megapixel count doesnt mean much at all when its worse at color balance and white balance and doesnt offer as true to life colors and has a little worse OIS implementation and others

6 Plus is faster in basically most appsand offers better in-app performance and offers better GPU perormance then the Note 4

6 Plus gaming battery life is about 2x longer then what the Note 4 can run for, not to mention the GPU in the note 4 gets throttled and slowed down way way before that occurs on the Plus so you get longer better maximum sustained performance as well

Note 4 has been credited best display but it is ever so barely any better then the 6 Plus display, both are top notch cream of the crop in their class , with that being said, OLED displays tend to burn out fast and have permanent screen burn in after just months of using the device only(has happened to every Galaxy S4 i used and have replaced with brand new replacements and used again) where it suffers a permanent screen burn in issue, its a very serious and valid concern and its one of the reasons why i also ultimately went with the 6 Plus over the Note 4(not to mention when your reading/viewing red/bluish content on the Note 4, it is actually less sharper then the 6 Plus display due to pentile)

All the points i made are purely from a hardware standpoint and im not gonna talk about or mention iOS vs android because thats up to OP to decide

Lol at @gsmarena battery life tests when its been widely known there results are not reliable as they dont even disclose how exactly they do their testing methods(unlike other source) and also it doesnt properly simulate real life usage.

6 Plus is widely known to offer better battery life then the Note 4 but the Note 4 does have a advantage with removeable back and fast charging

You also forgot to mention that the 6 and 6 Plus offer faster browsing speeds and have better battery life when browsing on cellular data espcially.

You also forgot to mention how SD card support is botched in Kitkat and currently you can only put photos on the SD card and no apps at all. But expanding storage is always good.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
6 plus and Note 4 have generally same multitasking performance

That's not even remotely possible considering the 6+ is not even in the same league as the Note 4 in multitasking capability.

App switching is not the same as multitasking.

Having dual screens running different apps and several minimized windows, plus a floating window, with a music app running in the background is more robust and demanding than switching from one app to another.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
That's not even remotely possible considering the 6+ is not even in the same league as the Note 4 in multitasking capability.

Having dual screens running different apps and several minimized windows, plus a floating window, with a music app running in the background is more robust and demanding than switching from one app to another.

What good is dual screens and all that stuff when it brings the phone to a laggy mess, dual window causes the FPS to drop considerably and having dual application windows open on a 5-5.5 inch screen is just ridiculous and cumbersome; which is why i never ever used those features ever , and that anyone i see with a Galaxy device never has dualwindow mode up, you tend to do one operation/one thing at a time on a smartphone, this isnt a desktop computer, please do tell me how having a laggy phone when running all that is somehow great multitasking :rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/GVkaY-F6Zhs

Performa just as well as the Note 4 with triple the RAM and double the cores in reloading applications in RAM

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I don't know about frames dropping in multitasking dual window, but I must say I do find dual window multitasking in practice for me utterly useless and moribund. Why? Well because say I have two windows, I then need to interact with one of these apps and the keyboard opens thereby blocking the other screened app or blocking the one I am trying to interact with. I love the idea in principal, but in practice I have never found it of any use to me personally on any of my devices that supported it (Note 3, S5, Alpha - and even my Note 12.2 which despite having more screen estate that this is less of a problem, I still find the implementation in practice flawed).

I tend therefore to multitask on my android devices the same as iOS, WP8 and other android devices that don't do dual screen ...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

App switching also isn't the same as intelligent app refreshing based on the user's use case.

People throw around the word "multitasking" when they mean a number of different things. It's time we stop bickering about it using generalized buzz words....

----------

The main point about nano-SIM or micro-usb is that Apple always want to go its way without consideration to users. Why does apple give you hassle when you use its devices like buying new adapters, cables etc.

I'd argue that the Lightning cable is more user-friendly than micro-USB as it can be inserted in multiple orientations and the port has more capabilities than simply charging.

I have a hard time getting mad at Apple for thinking forwardly about a cable/port than simply using the same standard that's been around for a long time.

I mean, it's not like they don't include a cable with the device.....I've accumulated a number of cables just over the last 3 years of lightning products.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
What good is dual screens and all that stuff when it brings the phone to a laggy mess

I have a Note 4, and an S5 and at no point would I refer to either as a laggy mess when running dual screen.

dual window causes the FPS to drop considerably

That depends entirely on what the dual apps are doing. I can watch Netflix and post on this forum at the same time with no discernible loss in frame rate.

and having dual application windows open on a 5-5.5 inch screen is just ridiculous and cumbersome

That's your opinion, which is basically meaningless in how anyone else uses their phone. I suspect that tune would change if Apple were to offer more robust multitasking in iOS.

which is why i never ever used those features ever

Your limited scope in how to use a smart phone has no bearing on anyone else.

anyone i see with a Galaxy device never has dualwindow mode up

You know millions of Galaxy device owners. That's how many are out there.

you tend to do one operation/one thing at a time on a smartphone

Well on the iPhone and 95% of other smartphones out there, you don't have a choice, so yeah, that's the default option.

this isnt a desktop computer

A smartphone should be smart enough to multitask. Windows GUI's have been present in computing for over 30 years...for a reason. People want to do several things at once.

please do tell me how having a laggy phone when running all that is somehow great multitasking

My S5 was never laggy, nor is my Note 4 thus far, so I can't relate.

http://youtu.be/GVkaY-F6Zhs

Performa just as well as the Note 4 with triple the RAM and double the cores in reloading applications in RAM

You want to talk speed? LOL really

While you are looking for a work around to share information between apps, I can drag and drop between windows, have dozens of interapp sharing options with one tap, or use the S-pen to extract specific information from anything on my screen.

That's speed while you spend an hour trying to figure out how to drag and drop (you can't) attach any content to an email, make a ring tone, share your location with screen shots, annotate images...you know all that smartphone stuff...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.